PDA

View Full Version : just installed 520 chain and sprockets--nnnerrrvousss

trackaddict
Sun Apr 24th, 2005, 03:06 PM
anyone find out in the middle of installing a new chain that the master link provided requires a tool you don't have and can't get on a Sunday???

i just did, so i used two pairs of vice grips to "crush" the hollow ends of the master link pins. anyone install a link like this. do ya think it is safe??

it sure looks like it, but i am still nnnervvouss

Pull-To-Start
Sun Apr 24th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Where U at? I've got the tool if U want to use it.

Sparker
Sun Apr 24th, 2005, 05:05 PM
go get a screw type master link. all it requires is a size 8 hex and vice grips.

Anonymous
Sun Apr 24th, 2005, 07:56 PM
If it's a race bike, I really recommend you use the compression link like you did. Others can fail, and having a chain wrap up at 100mph would be very messy for us to clean.

Definitely have someone who owns the tool and knows what they're doing, check it out and use the tool to make sure it's on there right. It is probably ok, but with something like that you don't want to guess.

trackaddict
Tue Apr 26th, 2005, 07:41 PM
actually it is on my street bike, not my track bike.

i have ridden it some, and it looks like it is good. i used a ball bearing with vice grips to further compress the pins. i wish there was a way to safety wire it.

thanks for the advise.

Mel
Tue Apr 26th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I bought the little tool thingy for mine...not much to it, just a couple peices of metal and some bolts that you tighten down, but if you want to use my tool and check it out, you are welcome to...that, and half the people on this site probably have the tool too.

KooLaid
Wed Apr 27th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Yikes, get the tool for that sucka, especially a press in pin set up. Now if it was a masterlink c clip style, no biggy. I've had BICYCLE chains fail on me when the pin wasn't pressed in properly before, so street or track, I'd do that thing RIGHT.

trackaddict
Sat Apr 30th, 2005, 08:38 PM
thanks for the offers to borrow.

still looks ok. still nervous about it.

i think i am just going to get another master link, cut out the original, and reinstall the new. probably get a "c" clip style and safety wire it.