Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Why?

rybo
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I am thinking of picking up a cheap 250W groover

http://www.pmzracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/image/templates/tiregroover57.85.jpg

Are they worth it?

Only if you want spend your rain race days answering the following questions:

1) Will you groove a set of tires for me?
2) Can I borrow your tire groover?

FWIW Vanmar has a groover as does Bart, so if it's really needed there are already a couple in the paddock. I've grooved a set of tires and while they worked great (1st ever Hastings weekend) I'll say that I hope to never do that work again. I'll buy rains.

S

dragos13
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I have seen them used before for racing in the rain.

Basically, they just heat up and cut grooves for additional water dispersion.

dragos13
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Yeah to touch on what Scott said, this is just a cheap mans version of rain tires as rains are still a much softer compound.

+1 for buying rains :)

OUTLAWD
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 09:59 AM
thanks guys...basically I have more time than money or sense, and as I am sitting here staring at the stack of take-offs in my basement, I got to thinking...

I could add a few more grooves to them so I wouldn't be as worried about getting caught in the rain if/when I run them on my streetbike, and I could go to town on a new set of med/softs I have to make some "intermediates". I'm not sure I'm going to have the money to race a full season this year, let alone buy rains...and this would give me something to do while I'm drinking on those sleepless nights...but I will keep an eye out for some lightly used rains

and if someone wants to pay me hourly to groove their tires...;)

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 10:29 AM
We just ran our slicks in the rain (and snow). Never had a problem! Never had to race during a hurricane or blizzard, though...

Bueller
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 12:40 PM
We used to groove slicks for supermoto (dirt traction) but it wasn't a noticeable improvement so it bcame too much effort.
Ran slicks one race weekend in the rain, sure made backing it in really easy :lol:

Scer
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Damn you for posting this question cause I can't leave the house without posting something.. haha

First of all, do not buy that groover. "Cheap" groovers tend to take longer overall. Plus you are not able to use the thicker cutters. That leads to much more time and money replacing the blades and waiting for the actual heating element to always catch up with you.

You have to take 3 things in consideration.

1) The surface area of the tire. Obviously, the less surface area the tire the better it will do in the rain. However, you can't just leave small strips of rubber for tread or they would obviously just peel right off.

2) The actual hardness of the tire themselves. Casey is right, rain tires are very soft compounds. So does that mean that you can't take a set of hard slicks and make them intermediates? They would work and last longer than a soft set. BUT the softer set sure would grip a lot better. You have to consider that fact that rain tires never get warm. So would you rather run a race on hard tires without a tire warmer or soft tires??

3) Money.. is it worth a set of rain tires to cut up and set of "good" tires and to purchase a proper groover as well? That is up to you to answer.

So all in all, using intermediates comes out to a balance of what your wants and needs are. cash vs. performance vs. risk.. I know I would definitely would like something in my trailer to put on the bike if it come to one of those "Should I put rains or Slicks on for this race" question.

balance on balancas

OUTLAWD
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 01:42 PM
thanks man...i'll start looking for something else to waste rime on....perhaps my thesis :roll:

bulldog
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 01:50 PM
thanks man...i'll start looking for something else to waste rime on....perhaps my thesis :roll: Go to the gym SLACKER!!!! ;)

Applies to Scer too :lol:

Dr. Joe Siphek
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 03:56 PM
^^^yeah cause using a groover will give you tennis elbow just as easy as working out

bulldog
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 04:13 PM
^^^yeah cause using a groover will give you tennis elbow just as easy as working out I have golfer's elbow...get it right :lol:

OUTLAWD
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 04:19 PM
....I was back in the gym, but I've been feeling like complete shit the past week

Scer
Tue Feb 15th, 2011, 06:28 AM
I will look into getting a groover Dave.

And go learn something Nate! :P I have been slacking in the workout department for sure!

groove on groovas

OUTLAWD
Tue Feb 15th, 2011, 09:46 AM
really I just wanted to go around carving my name into people's tires...