PDA

View Full Version : Peter Forsberg to retire...

Airreed
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 11:51 AM
So Forsberg practices with the AVs for a couple of weeks...signs a contract...plays in two away games and today retires. WTF????

Is this suppose to be a bad V-day joke?

JonnyD
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I'm sure more than a few V-day plans were cancelled when folks thought they were gonna see Forsberg play tonight. Would love to hear more about why he retired so quick after just returning!

aerofaze
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I'm wondering if his right foot is giving him problems again. He had a $1M contract for the rest of this season...

But yes, it sounds like the retirement is official news.

salsashark
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 01:07 PM
desperate attempt to fire up the players by a struggling team...

I think they need to stop pinning their hopes and dreams on aged players. Forsberg was one of the Av's greatest players, but his time has come (well maybe a while ago)...

http://magiclanternfilm.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/old-yeller.jpg

Airreed
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I'm with you Salsa...def "over the hill" for hockey players, but I thought he would bring that vetern spark to the team. He played on the first line the last game with Duchane and Hidujk and looked "decent".

I'm guessing his "prosthetic" ankle is about to need another surgery.

asp_125
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Does he get paid out for the term of the contract? Easy way to make a Mil, I should try out.

aerofaze
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Does he get paid out for the term of the contract? Easy way to make a Mil, I should try out.

Not sure what kind of contract deal Forsberg got, but I'd be all about the $500K per game, too!

I'm sure tonight's fans are quite disappointed.

Good to see you on here, Jeff! Hope you're healing up... Let me know when you and 50sgrl want to do Pho with me sometime!

hcr25
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 05:04 PM
He tried and I give him credit for that. It kind of sucks because we are going to tonights game and the game on Weds. It would have been cool to see him play in person again. It would have been worse for him to keep playing the rest of this year and not contribute. It is a younger guys sport now more than ever. If a old guy has to come back to the AV's it should be Patrick Roy :roll:

King Nothing
Mon Feb 14th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I won't give him any credit at all. That guy has lots of money. He can make purchases with cash.

hcr25
Tue Feb 15th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Well maybe he should have played one more game. They could have used him in goal. 9-1 loss last night. Both goalies got pulled and played twice each during the meltdown. One fan was so pissed he took off his jersey and threw it at the AV's bench from about the 15th row.

Cat118!
Tue Feb 15th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I feel for him...watched the press conference, he really wanted to play and it had to be hard to admit your body can't do it anymore. Teary eyed forsbergsaying how much he appreciated the chance.

But other than that wtf is going on!? 8 game losing streak!!! 9-1!!!!!!???

64BonnieLass
Tue Feb 15th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I'm with you Cat. I teared up a bit myself. I feel like he tried to come back because of the true love of hockey. And he came back to the Ave's because of a love of that team. He admitted early on he was going to take it play by play and see how his body would hold up.

IMO it takes a good man to admit to trying and maintaining his soul's love of the sport with such a young team, then admitting with tears that his body wouldn't cooperate - and he had to give it up for good.

He "seems" like a good guy and always has in my eyes. I agree it will be interesting to see what he does with the $$ and pre-negotiated contract. My bet is he will take only what he earned for the games he played. (but then again I suck at betting)

Airreed
Tue Feb 15th, 2011, 03:47 PM
What was up with the goal tending....Budjai WTF a goal at 18 seconds...then another at 40 seconds(it was waived off)...
9-1 such an embarassment:(

Cat118!
Tue Feb 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I'm with you Cat. I teared up a bit myself. I feel like he tried to come back because of the true love of hockey. And he came back to the Ave's because of a love of that team. He admitted early on he was going to take it play by play and see how his body would hold up.

IMO it takes a good man to admit to trying and maintaining his soul's love of the sport with such a young team, then admitting with tears that his body wouldn't cooperate - and he had to give it up for good.

He "seems" like a good guy and always has in my eyes. I agree it will be interesting to see what he does with the $$ and pre-negotiated contract. My bet is he will take only what he earned for the games he played. (but then again I suck at betting)

On another note I wouldn't kick hum out of bed for eatin crackers either! :)