PDA

View Full Version : Oil change

musclemutt99
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I'm pretty new to all of this, just buying my bike last season (used).
I am looking into performing an oil change on my bike (2009 suzuki gsx-r 1000). The bike did not come with a users manual. I have been researching multiple forums and I think I have found pretty good instructions on how to actually perform the oil change. The issue that I am running into is finding replacement parts, such as the crush seal, oil filter etc. I have been to Suzuki's website, multiple dealer sites and so on with no luck of finding the parts needed. Any thoughts, suggestions on where to look, how to perform the oil change would be great! Thanks.

MetaLord 9
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 11:53 AM
try Grand Prix, Performance, or Fay Myers. They'll have a filter for you. I've found filters at auto parts stores all the time too. You really don't need more than the filter & the oil. You can replace the crush seal, but it's really not necessary. I don't think I've replaced the one on my bike in four years and it doesn't leak a bit.

Oil change is pretty basic and shouldn't be too challenging.

Oh, and you don't need suzuki brand parts for anything. aftermarkets work just fine and are sometimes cheaper

Sarge
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I just ordered a K&N oil filter for my bike off of Amazon for $10. Combined it with a movie for free shipping. ;)

OUTLAWD
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I used to use the factory suzuki filters, but started using K&N oil filters because they have a hex on the end, and are ready for safety wire. Don't look at the sites, just call or stop in any Suzuki dealer, they should have the crush seal in stock (although I rarely replace them), as well as a filter.

asp_125
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I'm pretty new to all of this, just buying my bike last season (used).
I am looking into performing an oil change on my bike (2009 suzuki gsx-r 1000). The bike did not come with a users manual. I have been researching multiple forums and I think I have found pretty good instructions on how to actually perform the oil change. The issue that I am running into is finding replacement parts, such as the crush seal, oil filter etc. I have been to Suzuki's website, multiple dealer sites and so on with no luck of finding the parts needed. Any thoughts, suggestions on where to look, how to perform the oil change would be great! Thanks.

OEM filter Part# 16510-03G00-X07

http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm
Look under "oil cooler" for the parts for a 2009-k9

Crush washers for 'zukis are generic

MetaLord 9
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I used to use the factory suzuki filters, but started using K&N oil filters because they have a hex on the end, and are ready for safety wire. Don't look at the sites, just call or stop in any Suzuki dealer, they should have the crush seal in stock (although I rarely replace them), as well as a filter.
Big fan of the K&N's because the nut on the end allows me to actually pull the filter without having to pull the fairing off. It's also a lot easier to deal with than a strapwrench and a smooth stock filter

mannysyzf-R6
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 12:32 PM
hopefully this will help:headbang:

http://www.gixxerplanet.com/home/showthread.php?t=146

MetaLord 9
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 01:01 PM
[waits for the "what kind of oil" debate to start]

usmcab35
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM

amsoil lol

asp_125
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 01:38 PM

Rotella :D

Airreed
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Crisco VS Vegtable....the oil debates will never end as long as we have the internet....:headbang:

Sean
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 01:40 PM
[waits for the "what kind of oil" debate to start]I tried to search for the post that Rybo did on the different filters and oil. It was pretty good. I think the great crash of 2010 destroyed it. Maybe someone else can find it? :dunno:

Ted
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 02:02 PM
[/URL]Here is a manual for you. Keep it in a lock box so its safe, and don't let anyone borrow it.

[URL]http://www.servicemanualsgsxr.com/1000/Suzuki_GSXR_1000_K9.pdf.zip (http://www.servicemanualsgsxr.com/1000/Suzuki_GSXR_1000_K9.pdf.zip)

I use xtra virgin olive oil with an OEM filter on my gixxer and i love it :headbang:

Charlie Rotten
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 02:04 PM
amsoil lol

+1

OUTLAWD
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
amsoil or mobil 4t in bikes i care about...rotella in bikes that the engines blow ;)

UglyDogRacing
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 02:33 PM
The issue that I am running into is finding replacement parts, such as the crush seal, oil filter etc. I have been to Suzuki's website, multiple dealer sites and so on with no luck of finding the parts needed. Any thoughts, suggestions on where to look, how to perform the oil change would be great! Thanks.

Everything Suzuki dealer is going to stock your oil filter and crush washer. They can't afford not to stock them since oil changes are the most common service performed in their service dept.

musclemutt99
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Wow, thanks for all the help and advice! And Ted, thanks for the service manual!

Zach929rr
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 10:24 PM
strapwrench

My tool of choice.

http://www.trendora.com/products/prada/black-satin-belt/black-satin-belt-big1.jpg

brennahm
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 05:55 PM
The crush washer is a weird thing. You can get away with it for a long time, but often do damage you can't see. It will "crush" into a slightly conical shape that tries to split apart the drain hole. Your drain pan can probably take it, but then again the washers are like $1 or less. BTW, it's a 14mm aluminum crush washer.

~Barn~
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Back when I had Britney (http://ucsx3q.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pW7MBOxy08KctsV1Fh0VWRtqo47UDZqufLXpkfPu8O-S01tGFV5lCMH6CxJpD7B-Jt67DIaecc98cs3bZids-BVPVYKDuesFp/IMG_5466.JPG?psid=1), I loved my Scott's stainless filter. Performed like a champ the entire time I had it installed. Lurch wasn't a big fan, but I think his engine ate part of one, one time.

[Edit...] Oh yeah... I used Mobil 1 15W50 "gold cap" car oil. Again... performance was incredible. At 3000 mile changes, it was a only a mildly darker color, than when it went in.

guessinthe2000
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I will teach you how if you want to bring your bike over. PM me