PDA

View Full Version : chain

panther
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 05:29 PM
how do i tell if i need a new chain or not, besides going to the shop. Is there a way i just could look at it, and see if i need a new one or not??
Any help would be grrrrrrrrreat :D

Jay

Anonymous
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 05:40 PM
If it's rusted bad, or you can't adjust the tension tight enough without moving the sliders past the marks, you need a new one... :up:

If it's just dirty, get a brush and some kerosene and start scrubbin.

panther
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 05:55 PM
sweeeeeeeet, thanks for the tip :up:

Jay

towneh
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 06:03 PM
another aspect that warrants chain replacement is <<stiff links>> :o
cheers,
henry

panther
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 06:53 PM
thanks for that henry :cheers: right back atcha

Jay

FZRguy
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 10:14 PM
And you should generally replace the chain and sprockets at the same time. A new chain on worn sprockets will be a worn out chain fast.

Ripper
Thu Aug 7th, 2003, 12:33 AM
It's important to throughly clean your chain at least every 500 miles, the "Grunge Brush is an excellent tool for the job, but if ya don't want to spend the $, old tooth brushes work fine, use a degreaser,WD-40 which some say "never use on a chain", but I've been doing it for years and never had any problems, Kerosen works great and is oil based, but don't use gas it will dry out the X or O rings.

Lubing your chain, and keeping it properly adjusted are very important
and a new chain will initally stretch the most when it's first put on, so keep an close eye on it for the first 1000 to 1500 miles.

Different riders like different amounts of slack in their chains, play with it and dial it in where it feels best to YOU!

BlueDevil
Thu Aug 7th, 2003, 11:22 AM
It's important to throughly clean your chain at least every 500 miles, the "Grunge Brush is an excellent tool for the job, but if ya don't want to spend the $, old tooth brushes work fine, use a degreaser,WD-40 which some say "never use on a chain", but I've been doing it for years and never had any problems, Kerosen works great and is oil based, but don't use gas it will dry out the X or O rings.

Lubing your chain, and keeping it properly adjusted are very important
and a new chain will initally stretch the most when it's first put on, so keep an close eye on it for the first 1000 to 1500 miles.

Different riders like different amounts of slack in their chains, play with it and dial it in where it feels best to YOU!

And every time it rains or the bike is washed its a good idea to clean it and lube it. The better care U take of it the longer it lasts. I personally scrub all the road goo and prev lube off everytime I wash it and then lube it back up. If sprocket teeth become dull or worn looking. Replace it all.

panther
Thu Aug 7th, 2003, 12:45 PM
dam guys, i feel so very special, lol, thanks for all the input :D

Jay