PDA

View Full Version : hoping on the next bike in a couple weeks.

bendavis
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 02:43 PM
after getting rid of the TL over the winter, i've started having serious withdrawls... getting close to time to buy a new bike. Problem is, i'm leaning towards getting a cruiser this time. One of my buddies rides a nice vulcan and damn, that thing is comfortable. anyways, just wondering what you guys think. I've had a Nighthawk, CBR and a TL1000s and I've been on many other sportbikes and a couple cruisers, I LOVE running through the canyons, but just thinking about my last trip on the TL makes my shoulders scream... so many hard decisions...

MetaLord 9
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 02:53 PM
You are bike ADD, so it really doesn't matter what you get, you'll swap it out 4 months later :lol:

bulldog
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I hope I never get THAT old! :lol:

dirkterrell
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 03:05 PM
One of my buddies rides a nice vulcan and damn, that thing is comfortable. anyways, just wondering what you guys think. I've had a Nighthawk, CBR and a TL1000s and I've been on many other sportbikes and a couple cruisers, I LOVE running through the canyons, but just thinking about my last trip on the TL makes my shoulders scream... so many hard decisions...

VFR

/thread

Dirk

asp_125
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 03:20 PM
If you still LOVE to run the canyons at any sort of decent pace, a cruiser will have you grinding the floorboards in no time. Look into ^^ the VFR, or FZ-1, Tuono, Z1000, or an old man beemer, or C14, or the new Ninja1000... any of the fast touring bikes and sport standards.

Bueller
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Are you looking for an unbiased opinion or just looking to get talked into a sportbike? :)

TL's are not comfortable bikes, go sit on some sport touring.

RajunCajun
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 03:21 PM
VFR

/thread

Dirk

If I ever get a dam job, that will probably be my next bike...

Snowman
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Honda VFR Interceptor Black, sitting on Fay's floor, buy it now before it gets warm, (er)...

Trust us, we know what we are talking about.

http://www.2wheeltravel.co.uk/Motorcycle%20Hire/USA%20HIRE/Sports%20bikes/Honda_VFR_800_VTEC.jpg

Think
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 04:15 PM
You are bike ADD, so it really doesn't matter what you get, you'll swap it out 4 months later :lol:
So that's what they call it...

Anyways, +1 on the VFR. I had one for a month or two and enjoyed it. Doesn't lean like a supersport, but is definitely more comfortable and pushes out a lot more power than your old CBR does. Plus the misses can ride on the back without much of an issue.

OUTLAWD
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I mean no offense Ben, and I know everyone rides at a different pace...but unless you started riding ALOT faster, a cruiser-type bike would be fine for your canyon running...

I would probably stick with a standard bike, Z1000, sv1000, etc. I know everyone LOVES the viffers, and while I've never ridden one, when I sat on one, it felt small to me, so it might not fit you the greatest

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I've had bike ADD and tried the cruiser route. While comfy for a short sit, even with a mustang seat mine would make terrorists give up their secrets after 150miles. I couldn't ride to Estes and back without being in much pain. Why do you think they are always parked at bars? Can't ride any further without liquid pain killers.

Now my VFR, I've ridden over 300 miles in a day and felt like I could do 300 more.

3rd and 4th gen ($1800-$2400)

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/tinkerinWstuff/CSCphotoChallenge/07postOffice.jpg

5th gen ($2500-$3200)
http://www.i-bmw.com/gallery/data/509/medium/Black_and_White_with_color_VFR_screensaver.jpg

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 05:03 PM
BTW, I swore I saw your old CBR at that new outlet of Steeles that creeped into Windsor.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 05:10 PM
6th gen with bags, just broke in at 14k miles, under $5k. Keep in mind these are bullet proof 100,000 mile motors.

@ Tri City
http://cdn-1.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/tricitycycle/VP1988536_2.jpg

Repsol a095
Thu Feb 17th, 2011, 06:10 PM
The Yamaha FJR 1300 is the best bike EVER!

OUTLAWD
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I will agree that the FJR is the best sport touring bike out there...it has the balls that the viffers and triumphs lack. but honestly, I don't think the OP needs a sport tourer.

BC14
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I'm gonna chime in here. I ride my bike like a mad man at times, she keeps asking for more.

bendavis
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 05:12 AM
dave, you never got to ride with me on a bike that could actually move my fat ass! hahaha.

Tink, Steeles DOES have my old CBR, and they are trying to get 1500 for it :D

Honestly, the thread is to talk me out of getting a cruiser. I have a lot more fun on sportbikes. But I am Bike ADD for sure, maybe when I find the "one" lol... Maybe a VFR is up my alley, plus I think I am one of the only people alive that likes the styling on the new ones... but... i've only got about 3k to play with, so my options are quite limited.

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 07:12 AM
4th or 5th gen VFR can be found for $3k.

Both are gear cams, 5th gen is fuel injected. 4th gen would be about 90hp at the rear wheel and the 5th gen is around 100hp at the rear.

I guess I'll have to look up some torque and HP curves of the FJR but I don't think too many people would say the VFR lacks balls.

MetaLord 9
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 07:37 AM
dave, you never got to ride with me on a bike that could actually move my fat ass! hahaha.
No matter how big you are, no one needs a big bike to be fast

dirkterrell
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 07:41 AM
plus I think I am one of the only people alive that likes the styling on the new ones

I happen to like it. I was looking at one in Colorado Powersports the other day. The paint looks really good in person.

... but... i've only got about 3k to play with, so my options are quite limited.

Here is a 2001 for $3K:
http://images.craigslist.org/3mb3o23l65Y55Q25X0b2f9e052e4f9de610cc.jpg
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2216187467.html

and here is a '97 for $2800

http://images.craigslist.org/3n03ma3l05Q15W25U2b1u8e73967e4d3d13d7.jpg

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2188404517.html

And as for having balls, if you can't make do with 100 hp at the rear wheel, you need to learn how to ride. :doublefinger:

Dirk

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Here you are. Barely broke in, rear shock upgrade

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2216187467.html

edit: Dirk beat me to it..... photographed above

dirkterrell
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 07:54 AM
edit: Dirk beat me to it..... photographed above

Nice high mount pipe on it too. Staintunes sound great on a VFR.

Dirk

asp_125
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I had the chance to test ride a friends 5th gen VFR last summer. Not as fast as my gixxer, but oh so smooth and a broad torque band. Not to mention the comfortable (compared to a supersport) seating position. Perfect for those long-assed rides through the mountains. Those side mount rads do pump out some heat at stoplights in summer, though.

Think
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Dammit, had this been like... 6 months earlier, I would have sold you my VFR for 3k.

OUTLAWD
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Eric, you are a mad man...

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Take a look at the XR1200, I've got a black 09 with a Vance and Hines Widow pipe on it. I love it. It's got enough power and speed to be fun, as long as you don't want to go much over 120 mph. It's comfortable, it handles well, looks great and it sounds badass. It's only got a 3.5 gal. tank, but it gets about 50 mpg, so it's not as bad as you might think. I also like the fact that it is different, you don't see too many on the road. Another thing I like about it is the low maintance. It has belt drive, so no messing with a chain and it never needs a valve adjustment, so it should not need to see the inside of a shop for a long time. I can do all of the maintance that it does need at home and I like that. I don't want to own a cash cow for some dealers' service department.

Bueller
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Take a look at the XR1200 .....

He should be able to find one of those for $3k :lol:

asp_125
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 01:43 PM
How 'bout a VMax? http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2205691139.html

Snowman
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 02:36 PM
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/181857_10150175471140278_579120277_8523491_3401986 _n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=349520&id=579120277&l=1524a00d6e)

Their like everywhere...

DFab
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Honda VFR Interceptor Black, sitting on Fay's floor, buy it now before it gets warm, (er)...

They're asking 9K for a 2009 with crate damage. Any guesses on what the OTD price should be and what it would take to clean up the damage a bit?
http://images2.auction123.com/7c235592-27f5-420c-904b-fe4dc000b51d/ID_1301900823/05.jpg?web001lnw

dirkterrell
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 08:56 PM
They're asking 9K for a 2009 with crate damage. Any guesses on what the OTD price should be and what it would take to clean up the damage a bit?

New '07s were going for $7K a few months back. I'd look for new 07-08 models before I paid $9K for a beat up one.

Dirk

dirkterrell
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 08:59 PM
And '06 through '09 are identical except for colors. VTEC was tweaked in '06 and is smoother than '02-'05.

Dirk

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Feb 18th, 2011, 10:17 PM
New '07s were going for $7K a few months back. I'd look for new 07-08 models before I paid $9K for a beat up one.

Dirk

prices appear to be rebounding as the economy improves. but i'd agree with your opinion

GuitarX
Sat Feb 19th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Hey Ben, you've got my vote for a VFR as well. I have on '06 and you just can't beat the 6th gen for a do-it-all machine in that price range. It carves the canyons just fine, plus it's comfortable to just ride around on, and it's great two-up. Every time I get off that bike, I'm amazed at how good it is. Is it a little underpowered? Depends on what you're used to I guess. I only miss the torque in 1st gear really, but mine is bone-stock. Once you're riding it's fast enough to get you in as much trouble as you want. The only reason I miss the torque is because I'm used to twins and triples.

Which brings me to another incredibly good bike - the Triumph Speed Triple. Great ergonomics, it's naked so maybe that would cure your cruiser fix, it handles and runs like a sport bike. And that 1050 engine is absolutely fantastic.

I don't think you'd be happy with a cruiser. There are simply too many compromises made for the sake of style. If you've never had a bike that could brake, handle, and accelerate than I'm sure you'd be happy as you wouldn't know what you were missing. But to go backwards, from good performers to a cruiser would be tough.

Good luck with the decision, buying a new bike is always fun...

OUTLAWD
Sat Feb 19th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Which brings me to another incredibly good bike - the Triumph Speed Triple. Great ergonomics, it's naked so maybe that would cure your cruiser fix, it handles and runs like a sport bike. And that 1050 engine is absolutely fantastic.

the S3's are nice, also, the 955 variants can be had for quite a bit less and you aren't really giving up any power with the 100 less cc's...some people swear the 1050's have alot more power, but after riding an 06 1050 S3 I was looking at buying, it felt like someone put dirt bike bars on, and took the fairings off my sprint.

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 05:17 PM
Looked real clean from the street when I drove by today. Great price and low miles for a VFR if it's as clean as it looked.

http://www.rockymountainkawasaki.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=05631067X2K22K2011J6I09I4 1JPMQ1110R0&veh=2024156

http://cdn-0.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/rockymountainkawasaki/vp2024156_1_large.jpg

BC14
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:01 PM
Looked real clean from the street when I drove by today. Great price and low miles for a VFR if it's as clean as it looked.

http://www.rockymountainkawasaki.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=05631067X2K22K2011J6I09I4 1JPMQ1110R0&veh=2024156

http://cdn-0.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/rockymountainkawasaki/vp2024156_1_large.jpg

+1

I saw this bike on sat. Real nice for the age, and the seat is in great shape as well. Quite surprising. Didn't start it up, so can't verify that.

BC14
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:03 PM
Eric, you are a mad man...

You know it :crazy:

asp_125
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:15 PM
+1

I saw this bike on sat. Real nice for the age, and the seat is in great shape as well. Quite surprising. Didn't start it up, so can't verify that.

Sahhweet! Really clean, good price too!

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
+1

With only 20k miles, I'd be surprised if it did anything but prrrrr....

It needs the 4th gen rear blinker conversion to integrate the outboard pods into the tail. Simple.

Snowman
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
Noooo, not on such a pretty bike..
Those bastards...

tweak
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I purchased an FJR last year after what I witnessed at laguna in 09. A good friend of mine was a big FJR nut and we went for a very spirited ride around the carmal area. On several occasions I saw this FJR keep the lead pace up through very winding areas, it cant hold a candle to a 1000cc bike in the starights, however it was more than capable in the right hands, and there was zero knee dropping involved, just great riding. We had some knuclehead riding near us as we left through the north motocycle gate, which is some wide open sweepers, and the knuclehead on an r6 was schooled once again by the FJR. Each time the FJR won out. I was simply amazed.

When I sold my R1 it was either a VFR or an FJR, I love the looks and compromise towards the sport bike side, however the FJR won out for me in alot of other areas. Id be happy with either, but the FJR is perfect for 2-3k rides while still being able to carve it up, crusers get left behind.

R1-Laubinero
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 09:12 PM
after getting rid of the TL over the winter, i've started having serious withdrawls... getting close to time to buy a new bike. Problem is, i'm leaning towards getting a cruiser this time. One of my buddies rides a nice vulcan and damn, that thing is comfortable. anyways, just wondering what you guys think. I've had a Nighthawk, CBR and a TL1000s and I've been on many other sportbikes and a couple cruisers, I LOVE running through the canyons, but just thinking about my last trip on the TL makes my shoulders scream... so many hard decisions...

you'll miss the ground clearance the moment you go to have a run at the canyons-- you may miss the behaved chasis too----just get a less hard core sportbike---the new ninja1000 is suposed to be a hoot---pretty comfy too---squeezing the tank can help with that shoulder issue--

R1-Laubinero
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I purchased an FJR last year after what I witnessed at laguna in 09. A good friend of mine was a big FJR nut and we went for a very spirited ride around the carmal area. On several occasions I saw this FJR keep the lead pace up through very winding areas, it cant hold a candle to a 1000cc bike in the starights, however it was more than capable in the right hands, and there was zero knee dropping involved, just great riding. We had some knuclehead riding near us as we left through the north motocycle gate, which is some wide open sweepers, and the knuclehead on an r6 was schooled once again by the FJR. Each time the FJR won out. I was simply amazed.

When I sold my R1 it was either a VFR or an FJR, I love the looks and compromise towards the sport bike side, however the FJR won out for me in alot of other areas. Id be happy with either, but the FJR is perfect for 2-3k rides while still being able to carve it up, crusers get left behind.
Sounds like tha case of a skilled rider rather than superior bike

OUTLAWD
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 10:57 PM

any sport oriented bike, be it a standard, sport tourer, super sport, etc, should be able to more than hold its own on any canyon ride...any monkey can hop on a big bike and be a throttle jockey...

if you are pushing the limits of a viffer of FJR on the street, you need to get your ass to the track...there was a guy who used to almost drag knee on his FJR through the canyons...but since then he's gone 'tarded

BC14
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 11:03 PM
any sport oriented bike, be it a standard, sport tourer, super sport, etc, should be able to more than hold its own on any canyon ride...any monkey can hop on a big bike and be a throttle jockey...

Hey, I resemble that comment......... :p

OUTLAWD
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Hey, I resemble that comment......... :p

nah...you fall more in the skilled rider category...sorry

that's why I like the CSC...there are a bunch of bikes like viffers, the C14, and the like that regularly surprise sport bikes ;)

GuitarX
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 03:24 PM
nah...you fall more in the skilled rider category...sorry

that's why I like the CSC...there are a bunch of bikes like viffers, the C14, and the like that regularly surprise sport bikes ;)

Nope, he DEFINITELY falls into the monkey category. :piss:

OUTLAWD
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 04:15 PM
we can meet in the middle...semi-trained monkey

tweak
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 04:24 PM

Your not getting the point. His riding skills are great and could really take off on a litter bike. The point is that in the areas that most of us like to ride, the FJR will keep up, pass if your skilled enough, be very confortable and have an extended range. Always try out different options before throwing down cash or getting locked into payments.

Allot of us dont have the time/money to focus on the track, so something in between is what most want. I was very board with the R1 on the street. The track was something completely different and simply an amazing experience. Unfortunatly I ride longer runs and have no interest in loosing my license or harming others on the street. Something the R1 was very capable of.