PDA

View Full Version : 520 conversion???

CeMeN
Sat Feb 19th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Alright... back with another question, WTF is a 520 conversion??? I know it's a chain and sproket kit but... what does it do, what are the advantages and disadvantages of such a conversion??? are there other conversions as well???

675Rider
Sat Feb 19th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Smaller width chain and thinner sprockets. Its lighter, thus less rotational mass allowing your engine to turn your rear wheel easier. Improves your acceleration. Since its "thinner" components they wear faster. Unless you race or are a serious trackday rider, its probably not worth it. Put that money towards a course or track day. That will make you much more faster than a 520 conversion.

Bueller
Sat Feb 19th, 2011, 06:11 AM
If you are ready to change your stuff go 520 w/ steel rear. If your changing it just for performance you are waisting $

The 520 will wear a bit quicker but parts are more available, most 520
conversions also change gearing ratio, generally -1 on front and +2 in the rear. This will give you quicker acceleration at the cost of top speed and will cause error with the speedo/odo.

OUTLAWD
Sat Feb 19th, 2011, 08:42 AM
the 520 parts are generally cheaper. I know the DID 530 xring for my triumph was an arm and a leg, but I got an RK 520 xring for the gixxer for ~$70, but they wear out quicker

mastap07
Sat Feb 19th, 2011, 05:12 PM
usually a little quicker off the line, higher rpm's for highway riding.

Winsa12
Sat Feb 19th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I remember reading somewhere (probably regarding cars) that removing one pound from the rotational mass (tire, rim, brake disc/drum, axle, etc) was comperable in performance to removing like 300 lbs from the car body/frame.

Filo
Sat Feb 19th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I thought a 420 conversion was when you went to a Dr., told him or her your back really hurts and narcotics make you woozie, then they give you a "prescription" to go to a "dispensary" and get high legally. Wait - what?

OUTLAWD
Sat Feb 19th, 2011, 10:29 PM
you only change cruising rpm and acceleration if you change the ratio (save for the power gain from less weight) honestly I went from a 525 with steel sprockets to a 520 with an aluminum sprocket, and didn't really notice anything...

Wrider
Sat Feb 19th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I remember reading somewhere (probably regarding cars) that removing one pound from the rotational mass (tire, rim, brake disc/drum, axle, etc) was comperable in performance to removing like 300 lbs from the car body/frame.

1 pound of reduced rotational mass is roughly equivalent to 3 lbs of static mass in acceleration. Works for cars and bikes, but not 300 lbs! lol

And like everyone else is saying... Easier to find sprocket adjustments that cater more to your liking, cheaper to replace, but wear out faster.

CeMeN
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
right on fellas, thanks!