PDA

View Full Version : Geozen android app

Filo
Sat Feb 19th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Hey all you phone heads, there is a new android phone app out of Boulder (and no, it has nothing to do with me, so this isn't a sneaky advert) that sets up your phone depending on where you are. https://geozen.com/ I have been looking at moving from the cell phone equivalent of the dial phone to an android, mainly for apps like this. Anyone tried it or used something similar? Do these apps do anything for you or do they just sit there after you buy them? Do I really need to get rid of my shitty boost mobile phone? I just think it would be cool to not worry about turning on/off my phone in the movies, or turn it up in the local pub. Or am I just a gadget junkie?

Think
Sat Feb 19th, 2011, 03:08 PM
If I didn't have my smart phone when I moved I would have been screwed. I didn't have internet for about a month and I still needed to get emails. It's also guided me home on motorcycle rides where I haven't known where the hell I was.

Bueller
Sat Feb 19th, 2011, 05:44 PM
If the question is, should I get an andrioid phone then yes. That app would be a battery killer to run background

modette99
Sun Feb 20th, 2011, 07:50 AM

Pharmgirl
Mon Feb 21st, 2011, 10:15 AM
There are a lot of awesome Android apps. I wouldn't put this one in the top 50.

CaneZach
Mon Feb 21st, 2011, 10:35 AM
If the question is, should I get an andrioid phone then yes. That app would be a battery killer to run background

I don't know about other Android-based phones, but my Droid X is a battery killer in and of itself.

Keyser Soze
Mon Feb 21st, 2011, 10:50 AM
I don't know about other Android-based phones, but my Droid X is a battery killer in and of itself.

Cause the screen is so damn big. I have task killer set on crazy and frequency is set on "when screen off". It's helped out big time.

dirkterrell
Mon Feb 21st, 2011, 11:03 AM
Cause the screen is so damn big. I have task killer set on crazy and frequency is set on "when screen off". It's helped out big time.

+1 on this.

Dirk

modette99
Mon Feb 21st, 2011, 12:57 PM

Krafty-1
Sat Mar 5th, 2011, 09:59 PM

Which task killer work best?

LambeauXLIV
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Please, for the love of everything, don't use a task killer with an android phone!!

Sparker
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Please, for the love of everything, don't use a task killer with an android phone!!

You got some esplannin' to do!

LambeauXLIV
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 01:26 PM
You got some esplannin' to do!

1. Task killers force applications to close without allowing the app itself to do proper clean-up. This can leave the apps in an inconsistent state and cause errors down the line. It is very hard to code in such a way that prevents this.

2. The Android OS is designed in such a way that when you aren't using an app, its state is saved and doesn't use processing power until it is started up again.

Regarding long-running background processes, you shouldn't have that many on your phone, and the ones that are written well won't deteriorate your battery too much. If you find that there are ones running that you haven't used or needed in a while, then the best solution would be to reboot your phone.