PDA

View Full Version : Frame straightening/alignment shop

bubbz22
Sun Feb 20th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Hi all. A friend of mine put another friends bike down on some gravel in the twisties last year. The forks aren't straight to the wheels and he is wanting to get it checked out. Can anyone recommend a good frame place to get it checked out? Thanks

-Kaleb

Valguard
Sun Feb 20th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Well, I'm not frameologist nor do I know of any places that do that kind of work, but if your forks are literally bent I think you are going to have to get some new ones. Or at least the outer and inner tube. Not sure which would end up being cheaper. I would also look around the upper and lower bracket to see if there are any cracks or bends. If paint is broken or missing, that could be signs of a bend in there as well. However, I would imagine the tubes would bend way before the brackets.

If there not visually bent and maybe just the steering feels weird, they could be kinda out of whack. If you loosen the upper bracket and then kinda shake the front, they should line themselves back up. Then torque it all back down. Someone on this site told me that once when I high-sided my bike and it worked like a charm. Don't know if your friend tried that, but would be worth a shot if not.

Hope that helps at all. :]

Spiderman
Sun Feb 20th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Located in Littleton: http://www.cycleworksusa.net/

He did one of my race bikes. :up:

UglyDogRacing
Sun Feb 20th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Get 2 sticks or bars about 3 feet long. Put one through the axel or set it just above the calipers. Place the other across the top of the triple clamps. You will be able to visually see if its off. If it is, loosen the pinch bolts and axle and bounce the front end a few times until it looks straight and then tighten everything up. It sounds archaic but its worked for me many times. If you want added piece of mind, take it to Tony Martin at Cycleworks as Bob suggests. He is working out of a shop off Santa Fe now in the Sheridan area. You will need to remove all your bodywork, radiator, exhaust pipe and disconnect all your controls prior to bringing the bike to him.

bubbz22
Sun Feb 20th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the tips. We had thought about doing what was suggested, I just wasn't sure it was the best method. I guess thats what we'll try first. To clarify, I don't think the forks are bent, but when the bars are straight, the front wheel is visibly crooked.