PDA

View Full Version : Increased Gas Mileage

McVaaahhh
Tue Apr 26th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Acetone (http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/)

Anybody ever heard of doing this. I'm no physicist so I have no idea what it would do to an engine, or how valid the surface tension argument is.

I'm thinking of trying it out in my truck to see what happens. Sounds like this guy got almost 100% increase in fuel mileage.

Any opinions or thoughts of what this would do to the interior of a motor like eating gaskets, etc.

We are only talking about 1-3oz per 10 gallons.

Just a thought as gas sits at $2.20 a gallon.

Wolf-R1
Tue Apr 26th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Interesting assertions. I don't see a reason why it would hurt an engine however, I'm neither a mechanic nor a chemist.

Let us know your results.

Taylor
Tue Apr 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM
the warning says it all...

BigE
Tue Apr 26th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I think gas has acetone in it already, along with toluene, ethanol and other nasties :) I'll have to ask one of the chemists at my work.
This is interesting though and I can't see it hurting anything at the concentration they're talking about, I think I'll try it in the 'muter (car, not bike :D )

rybo
Tue Apr 26th, 2005, 11:53 AM
In a quick conversation with a chemist friend of mine he says that it will break surface tension like the article suggests. He sees no harm happening from trying it, but is "cautiously optimistic" that anyone will actually see the kind of results predicted.

Heck, I've got a beater old truck I'm going to give it a try in. I'll post up with results.

S

jeaven
Tue Apr 26th, 2005, 12:37 PM
From the FAQ.

Q. Does ethanol in fuel effect acetone?

A. Yes, ethanol seems to significantly dampen the effects of acetone. The higher the portion of ethanol in the fuel, the more it inhibits the positive effects of acetone.
Alcohol Apparently Inhibits Action of Acetone in Fuel (http://pesn.com/2005/14/6900082_Acetone_and_Alcohol/) - While inert in the fuel tank, under high temperature and pressure in the combustion chamber, acetone and alcohol are likely to react to form a ketone. (PESN; April 14, 2005)

I guess that makes it hard to test this theory in CO, considering the law requires ethenol in gas... Maybe a road trip to WY?

Wolf-R1
Tue Apr 26th, 2005, 01:36 PM
According to here:

http://chemistry.about.com/library/glossary/bldef5530.htm

"Example: The simplest ketone is acetone, CH3-CO-CH3"

What would the effects of a ketone be on an engine? Doesn't seem like it would be a ton since this particular ketone appears to have positive effects, at least according to the web site in question.

I`m Batman
Tue Apr 26th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I'm going to try it in my car... 1 gas tank shouldn't hurt.

Wolf-R1
Tue Apr 26th, 2005, 02:35 PM
In thinking about this more (probably because my browser has been stuck open to this page as I do my work :lol:) I would think that the biggest danger of acetone to any engine would be to emissions over time. Would be interesting to take an emissions test previous to adding acetone then taking a second test after say five tanks. Maybe even a third test after another five tanks to see what the effects are.

I imagine because of cleaner burns you would have less of a problem.

Wolf-R1
Tue Apr 26th, 2005, 02:59 PM
OK last time for now I promise. :lol

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_Additive:FAQ

Seems to be some sort of FAQ on the subject covering a lot of questions.

McVaaahhh
Tue Apr 26th, 2005, 03:27 PM
I tried searching the net here to find more information about this. I can't seem to find anything negative about doing it.

Seems like worst case scenario you won't see any effect or a slight decrease in mpg.

Also seems like soaking some gaskets in acetone may cause a small amount of swelling but seems like at the ratios suggested that would probably never happen.

I also noticed that people who drive econo-cars were seeing a big change but that the people who drive big gas-guzzlers were seeing little to no change, and possibly a negative change in mileage.

I have an F-150 V8 that I think I'm going to try a tank with about 1.5oz per 10 gallons and see what effects it has.

I'll let everyone know what happens.

VA2CO
Thu May 5th, 2005, 09:48 AM
So, did anybody actually try this?? I see a lot of posts from memebers "going to try it" but just wondering if it worked, or killed their motor? One probelm I have with it is the Cylinder Wash down. Similar to what happens with alcohol engines. Gasoline is a lubricant on the top side of the rings, oil on the bottom. Seems like acetone would break the surface tension making it less lubricative, and washing down the walls. (building heat and friction and damaging the cylinder walls and rings.

rybo
Fri May 6th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Posting up with some preliminary results:

First the baseline info:

Vechicle tried in: 1990 Range Rover
124 K miles
3.9 L v8 engine
Typical economy 15.5 -17 MPG over the past 6 months

My driving cycle is fairly typical, to/from work in the city with a highway trip to the mountains at least once during the weekends. This cycle has not changed.

The past two tanks I've used the formulas put forth in the articles as mentioned. 2oz for 10 gal in the first round and 3oz to 10 gal in the second.

Current fuel economy - 14.5 mpg

I noticed no difference in performance (can I use that word with this vehicle?) Starts and runs as normal, drives just like it did before. I've enough 100% pure acetone left for one more tank full. If I don't see an improvement in this tank I'll be abandoning the acetone. as I've seen about a 15% DECREASE in economy.

Best to you

Scott

Wolf-R1
Mon May 9th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I haven't attempted this yet though I have finally gathered the stuff needed for it. I'll be checking it out next week after the R2SL event. Wouldn't want to miss that on account of an engine running crappy. :lol: