PDA

View Full Version : Epic Motosports

krod
Mon Feb 21st, 2011, 09:12 PM
First off I would like to say this is in no way personal, I have been friends with Kevin (owner Epic Motosports) for a long time. I Took my Ktm to Epic to make it street legal, put on headlight, tail light and brake switch, not a big job, (would have done it myself but was busy at my auto shop) so I wanted to send it out to a friend. After 2 months I finally got a call that my bike was finished. :applause: After paying around 460.00 I went for a test drive, and the bike sounded different. (I didn't say anything, thought my crank bearings went out or piston went out). Got the bike back to my shop, pulled the oil drain plug and it was full of metal. I pulled the crank case filter and the same thing, so I pulled the engine. (I never thought or blamed Epic at this point). I pulled the stator cover. The bolts that Epic put in were left loose and tore up my flywheel and cover, wasted the piston and cylinder.

I called Kevin at Epic, he said he would take care of it. Three weeks later he sent someone to pick up my engine. A few days later I had to call and find out what had happened. I told Kevin I would pay half of the repairs if he could not find anything that was directly related to his work. Three months later and another 600.00 got my lower engine finished, only to find out that he ordered the wrong piston kit (after he was told it had a custom piston in it). I ordered the right piston and put the top half together, got the engine installed spent another 467.00 at Trail Tek to get the correct lighting stator, battery and wiring harness. I spent the next few days putting it all together. I got it finished (with some jetting help from Eddie, now co-owner).

The bike has less than 18 miles on it (rode from my shop to my house). I noticed an oil leak, so I cleaned it off and waited a couple of hours. I rechecked, and it was leaking out of the lower case half, because all the case half bolts were loose and they ran a paper gasket.

So after sending my friend some easy work, it cost me 3 times the amount and I have to pull the engine again.

JUST WANTED TO THANK KEVIN AT EPIC MOTOSPORTS FOR ALL THE GOOD WORK.

I would not recommend this shop at all. Customer service is bad and the level of workmanship is terrible.

James Jones
ASE certified master auto mechanic
Co owner Kimmer Transmission and Gear

Pictures attached

Bueller
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 07:13 AM
Ouch :(

Sarge
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 07:56 AM
Hmm. Put that on the list of places never to step foot in...

Sorry to see the damange, but thanks for the heads up.

Ricky
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:29 AM
While it sucks to see what happened there, I've had them do plenty of work on both my bikes, and it's never been an issue.

modette99
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:24 AM
Lets face it places F up all the time. Amazing they charged you anything for that piss poor work I think a charge back on VISA would of been in order. Then let them sue you...LOL

Airreed
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
Two month turn around to make the bike street legal....:down:
followed by motor issues...:down:

brennahm
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:20 PM
Anyone interested in this can see some more here (http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?111482-epicmotosports&p=1213469#post1213469)...

FZRguy
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:49 PM
I always thought Epic was a parts source, not service work. Never been in their shop tho.

brennahm
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 07:25 PM
They have two techs, Eddie and Nate (pretty cool guy).

krod
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:18 PM
Yep both great guys, just not impressed on how things were handled with my bike. Hope things will change since Eddie is now there.

modette99
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:34 PM
So you had a drunken call to Kevin?

Bueller
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 07:17 AM
I have known both parties for years, and am good friends with both. This is unfortunate and as stated in the SMJ thread (which has been removed), there are always 2 sides to a story. Jim's side is out for all to see, the response from Epic has been reserved except for the accusation of an inappropriate phone call.

Since this has gone public I would like to hear the other side. And knowing Jim I am sure this was not an easy thing for him to post as he is also friends with the Epic staff.
Hopefully this will work itself out behind the scenes.

krod
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 07:20 AM
Yep was a little pissed off (said some things that I will apologize for) my bike has been down since last may only to get it back with the lower casehalf bolts loose and a blown case gasket. I realize shops make mistakes but they should take care of them in a timely matter. The only responce I got was getting flamed by his employee. I have been doing busness with Epic since they opened there doors never had a problem untill now. I am friends with all of them. Just want my bike fixed right. I have to much respect for this to turn into another flame post. I said what I wanted to and will take my busness elsewere.

Vehicle 1
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 08:02 AM
I try to stay away from this type of stuff. But I would like to add something this time.
I have seen too often how some mechanics screw up and pretty much don't care about their mistakes. Sometimes it is all about the money and it shows.
Regardless of the path that the customer had to let them know about THEIR f-up, it is still their responsibility to make it right and fix it, not come back with some sort of condescending way of saying that you are just another unhappy asshole customer with no right on what is being said; acting all respectful and professional on on-line forums, and then talking shit like you wouldn’t believe “behind the scenes”. Even if you hate customers that call you on your f-ups, deal with it and fix it, don't try to turn it around. If anything, be "smarter" than the customer about the issue.
Hopefully, this will be worked out and both parties will keep a respectful stance about it.

cbrjohnny
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:23 AM
check your work mechanics... its what makes the diff between a good mech and a poor mech.

this could all have been avoided if they would have check their work...

brennahm
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:57 PM
I'm with Bueller, friendly with all parties concerned, tough situation. Hoping for the best.

thankgod
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 01:10 AM
I was there today to get some new tires for my bike. I was asking them all kinds of bike related questions, etc. They were friendly and quick to respond. They took my bike to the back of their shop and worked on it for about an hour, they also recommended new brake pads, which they gave me a deal on. All in all I got some new tires(Q2's)and brake pads for about $350. I asked about a warranty and If I can remember correctly, they warrent their work for 90 days on parts and labor and if their is damage you think they cause to your bike while working on it, they give you 7 days to file a claim. I also wanted to see them work on my bike and asked if I could watch for a while, they politely said no (while 10 other people that came in and out of there were allowed in the back) :mrt:which kinda sucked but whatever. Thank you EPIC. So far so good.

Bueller
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I also wanted to see them work on my bike and asked if I could watch for a while, they politely said no (while 10 other people that came in and out of there were allowed in the back) :mrt:which kinda sucked but whatever. Thank you EPIC. So far so good.

They were doing you a favor, labor doubles if you want to watch, and triples if you help :)

thankgod
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 10:24 AM
They were doing you a favor, labor doubles if you want to watch, and triples if you help :)

BOO!!! I just wanted to see how jacked up my brake pads where.

Yodannyc
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Anyone know if there tuning is any good? I was going to take my bike there for a tune. This thread is making me a little nervous though.

krod
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Don't let a mistake influence you...Going to bite my tong here but Eddie is probally one of the best guys in the state on tuning. See for yourself. I have been doing business with Epic since they opened there doors,never had a problem untill this, STEP UP AND ADMIT YOU FUCKED UP, or at least tell your side of the story(I would like to here it) please leave your family members and employee's out of it (makes my point even better.) Remember read first post.

brennahm
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Tuning is top notch.

@thankgod, I'm SURE that if you asked to see your old pads they would have been more than happy to oblige. And FWIW, do chefs in restaurants allow you to go in the kitchen and watch them cook your dinner?

Filo
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I like to go in the back at Epic and tell them how they are doing things wrong and how I would do it better. They charge me $400/hour for this service, but since it is the only time I am always right, it is worth it.

Oh, but seriously, I understand Eddie is one of the greats when it comes to jetting/tuning. I have taken a lot of bikes a lot of places, and they all make mistakes from time to time. I still take bikes to Epic when I need things done.

thankgod
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 05:21 PM
No, but i figure I'd ask.
Tuning is top notch.

@thankgod, I'm SURE that if you asked to see your old pads they would have been more than happy to oblige. And FWIW, do chefs in restaurants allow you to go in the kitchen and watch them cook your dinner?

frank2
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 06:28 PM
By posting this, your job is done. If these people are reputable? They will get with you and make it right. I had a problem with Faster. The owner at the time called me and asked how he could make it right. I told him, and he said what he promised. Though my original post, related to my dislike of service, had already made it's mark! Bad PR has much power. If the outfit does not react? They won't be around long. They all know that. From your post now! I would never use these people. Damage done. Word of mouth. They won't figure it out!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Holy shit! A post from frank2! :) How's it going brotha?

laspariahs
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 08:01 AM
By posting this, your job is done. If these people are reputable? They will get with you and make it right. I had a problem with Faster. The owner at the time called me and asked how he could make it right. I told him, and he said what he promised. Though my original post, related to my dislike of service, had already made it's mark! Bad PR has much power. If the outfit does not react? They won't be around long. They all know that. From your post now! I would never use these people. Damage done. Word of mouth. They won't figure it out!

Yeah no kidding, I would never take my bike there either. It's not so much that they made a mistake it's that they won't fix it. He may be the best tuner on earth but if he screws something up, everyone does now and then, he's just going to leave you high and dry with his mistake. That's not right.

Bueller
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I have heard the other side, and as expected it is not so cut and dry as it may appear, and I think this is something that can be settled between the involved parties and would do no good to air out on a public forum.
IMO mistakes were made on both parts. Epic is not denying that there were mistakes on their part (and the tech is now gone), but again they would be willing to discuss this with you Jim, but do not see an upside in doing it on this or other (SMJ) forums. The thread on SMJ was removed by the main mods and not "epicmotosports" although they have mod powers.

People can and will take "reviews" as first impressions even though they have no idea of what the actual circumstances are. That is their own business, but taking someones word that you have never met or even know if they are qualified to do so is a bit short sited. I had a problem with a shop a couple years ago, and although I told people I know about the situation, I never thought putting it on the internet was going to help the situation.
All I can say is they have been around for 4~5 years and they have not had any bad reviews until this.
If you visit the shop and talk with Kevin or Eddie, I am sure you will understand that Customer Service is not a problem, they will take care of business.

Skinbabe
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I to have had work on my bike there... by said tech that is no longer there. Im sorry to hear all this and that you had a such a problem. Everything with my bike was good. Hope this gets worked out.

brennahm
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 12:01 PM
:guinness:
I have heard the other side, and as expected it is not so cut and dry as it may appear, and I think this is something that can be settled between the involved parties and would do no good to air out on a public forum.
IMO mistakes were made on both parts. Epic is not denying that there were mistakes on their part (and the tech is now gone), but again they would be willing to discuss this with you Jim, but do not see an upside in doing it on this or other (SMJ) forums. The thread on SMJ was removed by the main mods and not "epicmotosports" although they have mod powers.

People can and will take "reviews" as first impressions even though they have no idea of what the actual circumstances are. That is their own business, but taking someones word that you have never met or even know if they are qualified to do so is a bit short sited. I had a problem with a shop a couple years ago, and although I told people I know about the situation, I never thought putting it on the internet was going to help the situation.
All I can say is they have been around for 4~5 years and they have not had any bad reviews until this.
If you visit the shop and talk with Kevin or Eddie, I am sure you will understand that Customer Service is not a problem, they will take care of business.

Spiderman
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 05:55 PM
This issue has been worked out between krod and Epic Motorsports.

Locking thread to prevent any more flaming.