PDA

View Full Version : 89 GT 5-speed.

Tylar
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:42 PM
So, the guy I bought this from may or may not be on here....bottom line:

He had no clue about the Bassani X-pipe, flowmasters, shorty headers, T-5 (89 came with C-5 i believe). He did know about the superchip and other things with stickes on the fan shroud. The car screams, but has some serious neglect issues. Goal is to get the electrical sorted out, AC functioning as well as cruise, windows tinted, new tires and we're in business. Lowered 2" in the rear, 1" up front.

The pr0n:

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/Tylar77/Mustang/GTagain.jpg
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/Tylar77/Mustang/DSC02686.jpg
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/Tylar77/Mustang/DSC02691.jpg
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/Tylar77/Mustang/DSC02684.jpg

The tranny fluid was brown when i changed it, engine oil was horrible, MAF was covered in god-knows-what, you name it. Car screams for what appears to be just basic storage issues. Get good tires on it and a few other things, she'll do nicely. Even now it'll turn heads burning the tires in third with Pantera blasting out the windows....:eyebrows:

brennahm
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
That's a pretty clean fox body.

A guy who works at Epic Motosports just built a notchback with a 5.8 converted to carb. Plans are apparently to put massive amounts of nitrous to it. Not nearly as pretty, undoubtedly fast though.

1BadSvt
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 07:35 PM
:eyebrows:I got a special touch with those

asp_125
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
... it'll turn heads burning the tires in third with Pantera blasting out the windows....:eyebrows:

... and eventually, rocking the mullet, too? :headbang:

Tylar
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 07:52 PM
:eyebrows:I got a special touch with those

Oh do tell.

Tylar
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 07:52 PM
... and eventually, rocking the mullet, too? :headbang:

Working on it as we speak...:no:

Tylar
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
That's a pretty clean fox body.

A guy who works at Epic Motosports just built a notchback with a 5.8 converted to carb. Plans are apparently to put massive amounts of nitrous to it. Not nearly as pretty, undoubtedly fast though.

A sprayed 5.8 notch will be something to be reckoned with, no doubt.

Foolds
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:27 PM
Did you end up keeping her Ty or did the accountant wife get the better of you?

Tylar
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:39 PM
I still have it, JJ.

1BadSvt
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:39 PM
That car has wayyyyyyyyy to much to list pm me your number ill tell you. That is why I got the lightning is to tow my coupe

derekm
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:06 PM
NICE! I'm unloading my 75 hp NOS dry efi and fabbing an Eaton m112 to my Fairlanes 5.0

1BadSvt
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:08 PM
I would stay away from a dry shot TRUST me LOL I found out the hard way. If you do make sure you are running a STRONG fuel system if your gonna push boost also.

Keyser Soze
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 10:21 PM
I'd do the 5 lug swap too...but that's just me. Slam it. I've seen some RK plasmas on a couple notch's. Wonder how'd they'd look on the gt

Tylar
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 07:35 AM
I'd do the 5 lug swap too...but that's just me. Slam it. I've seen some RK plasmas on a couple notch's. Wonder how'd they'd look on the gt

5-lug has definitely been on my mind. We'll see where we are at in a year or two. As of right now we want the car to take some of the commuting burden off the wife's car. Getting her into a reliable form is first up.

Filo
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 08:14 AM
What the hell are you people talking about? And why does that thing have 4 wheels? Is that some sort of new motorcycle sporting a retro look? I drive a roller skate with a 1967 Singer 347 for a motor. I can spin the wheels in 4 of the five gears (on ice, with bald tires). On the plus side, it often gets 40mpg, so I got that going for me. Tylar may just as well have bought the '89 from me, since I too have no clue about cross pipes, flow masters, super chips. But hey, have fun with it. Just don't blast Pantera. Go with Black Flag instead.

Tylar
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
Just don't blast Pantera. Go with Black Flag instead.

I'll meet you in the middle, Black Label Society.

Hibs
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 07:04 PM
the stock transmission is a T5, not sure where you are getting C5 from??

And from your pics, doesn't look like the car has any "major" mods unless someone built a super sleeper. You got a stock intake, stock shifter, etc.

Looks fairly clean though, hope you like it!

Tylar
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 07:20 PM
the stock transmission is a T5, not sure where you are getting C5 from??

And from your pics, doesn't look like the car has any "major" mods unless someone built a super sleeper. You got a stock intake, stock shifter, etc.

Looks fairly clean though, hope you like it!

I've heard it back and forth a few times, never researched it as it's now completely irrelevant.

I think the car has "average" mods, nothing show-stopping, but enough to make you grin when you put your foot to the firewall. All that matters, i guess.

Hibs
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Foxbody mustangs either came with an AOD (automatic) or T5. I've never even heard of a C5. A popular swap is to a C4, which is a 3 speed auto and usually can be built to handle a good amount of HP, but no foxbody stang ever came stock with one.

If it's got exhaust and the basic bolt ons, i'm sure it's pleasing to most :)

fasterlaster
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 09:21 PM
That body style has always been my favorite. Great car Tylar. I look fwd to seeing it sometime.

Rooster
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 10:19 PM
i think ive seen that car at a mustang meet once, if its the same 1 ive seen and lined up with you got yourself 1 hell of a car. i wont say how i know its fast :devious:. but lets say it can definetly hold its own with a snake :bow:.

Hibs
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 10:22 PM
So what kind of secret mods does this car have that make it something faster then the average bolt on, high 13 second quarter mile fox body? cause i don't see anything otherwise in the pics.

Wrider
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 10:32 PM
So what kind of secret mods does this car have that make it something faster then the average bolt on, high 13 second quarter mile fox body? cause i don't see anything otherwise in the pics.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. May not have an external power adder like an s/c or turbo, but it could have cams, high compression pistons, full built top/bottom end. And while yes a stock intake manifold would greatly limit the potential of a build like that, at the same time it'd be a sleeper and a half!

Hibs
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. May not have an external power adder like an s/c or turbo, but it could have cams, high compression pistons, full built top/bottom end. And while yes a stock intake manifold would greatly limit the potential of a build like that, at the same time it'd be a sleeper and a half!

cams? lol, sounds like you need to stick to talking about sportbikes.

you are true, that someone could build sleeper with a stock intake manifold, but the chances of that are pretty slim. the stock manifold is a huge choke point on 5.0's and often is one of the first things replaced. if not replaced, usually cut in half/gutted/shortened, but even that can be spotted by a keen eye.

regardless, hope the OP enjoys it. i'm envious of his nice tweed seats.

Wrider
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 11:07 PM
cams? lol, sounds like you need to stick to talking about sportbikes.

you are true, that someone could build sleeper with a stock intake manifold, but the chances of that are pretty slim. the stock manifold is a huge choke point on 5.0's and often is one of the first things replaced. if not replaced, usually cut in half/gutted/shortened, but even that can be spotted by a keen eye.

regardless, hope the OP enjoys it. i'm envious of his nice tweed seats.

Hey now no need for the personal attacks. I have no clue about the 5.0 engine. I can tell you it has at least one cam somewhere in it though. I can also tell you damned near anything you want to know about my 4.7 Chrysler engine. Including the fact that it has more than one cam in it.

Rooster
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 06:54 AM
i had the 4.6. and it did have cams, 2 in fact.

OUTLAWD
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 06:57 AM
you don't need much to have a 5.0 sleeper...some gears, and a bit of squeeze made for a a few stock looking 10.9-11.0 cars back at sea level

Hibs
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 09:51 AM
i had the 4.6. and it did have cams, 2 in fact.

Hrm, funny, I don't see a 4.6 sitting in between the fenders of the foxbody in this thread, lol

Hibs
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM
you don't need much to have a 5.0 sleeper...some gears, and a bit of squeeze made for a a few stock looking 10.9-11.0 cars back at sea level

gears and "bit" of squeeze? lol.... you must be forgetting about the AFR185 heads, AFM cam, and the fact that you're running a 200 shot.

Wrider
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 11:33 AM
So IOW Hibs you're convinced the thing is bone stock under the hood except for the CAI and the exhaust that's obvious. We get it. We're saying that's not the only thing that is possibly done. Just because it looks stock doesn't mean it is.

Hibs
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 11:56 AM
So IOW Hibs you're convinced the thing is bone stock under the hood except for the CAI and the exhaust that's obvious. We get it. We're saying that's not the only thing that is possibly done. Just because it looks stock doesn't mean it is.

Thank you Cpt Obvious. Sorry you took personal offense to me doing a reality check. :violin:

I guess when the OP says this....
I think the car has "average" mods, nothing show-stopping I only assumed the car didn't secretly have a 331 stroker, aluminum heads, cam, hidden nitrous, pro-shifted tremec (rocking a stock shifter), and all the suspension components to make those sawwweeeet cobra R knock offs hook up, lol.

But you are right, just because it looks stock, doesn't mean it is.

Rooster
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 12:30 PM
:
Hrm, funny, I don't see a 4.6 sitting in between the fenders of the foxbody in this thread, lol

Keyword I. I had a 4.6 in my cobra. :slap:

Hibs
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 12:37 PM
:

Keyword I. I had a 4.6 in my cobra. :slap:

When I said cams, i was quoting wrider, who said cams when he was talking about this particular 5.0

so who cares about what you had in your cobra? :slap:

OUTLAWD
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 05:43 PM
gears and "bit" of squeeze? lol.... you must be forgetting about the AFR185 heads, AFM cam, and the fact that you're running a 200 shot.

I never said they lasted very long...but to a street racer...all the cars are stock ;)

Rooster
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 05:59 PM
nevermind, this is getting retarded quick.