PDA

View Full Version : clutch problems

swademaster
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 09:25 PM
I have a 2001 Suzuki TL1000S. I think the clutch is gone but thought I would get some more opinions. When downshifting I can push the shifter down a bunch of times without actually dropping a gear. When upshifting it feels like it goes into the next gear but but when I let off the clutch lever it acts like it is in neutral, mostly between 5th and 6th, but does this in all gears.

surfinspacegirl
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Your clutch plates are probably toast. My SV was doing the exact same thing. Pull off the cover and check the plates, if they are broken or warped (check on a glass surface), go for a Barnett clutch plates set, they are way cheaper than OEM (approx $100 vs. $300 OEM) and used by racers :D

swademaster
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 09:41 PM
That is what I was thinking. Was already looking up some info on Barnett. Does any place in town keep them in stock?

Mel
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 11:32 PM
A few places would probably have them in stock, but you would pay less to buy it online...when I bought my barnett, I think I paid about 40% less online and waiting a few days vs. buying at a store.
Check it all out before buying though. I thought I felt a little slippage in my gixxer, figured I had 10K miles and I should replace it. When I miced the stock clutches to the brand new one, the stock ones, after 10K miles, were less than one hundreth off new.