PDA

View Full Version : Terrible way to die

birchyboy
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
God, that's awful:

A tow-truck driver was killed Wednesday morning after being dragged more than a mile by a sport-utility vehicle he was attempting to tow from an apartment complex in east Colorado Springs, police said.
John Stellabotte, the owner of J & J Towing, said police told him his driver was in the process of towing an illegally parked vehicle at the Hill Park Apartments at 360 N. Murray Blvd. when the owner jumped inside and took off.
Sgt. Steve Noblitt said the driver drove away in the sport-utility vehicle that was about to be towed.
A witness said the man's leg was caught by a chain.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_17462113?source=rss

asp_125
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:10 PM
This guy probably left for work this morning, never expecting he'd die on the job. That's terrible.

CaneZach
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:21 PM
I expect 1st Degree Murder charges will be coming.

modette99
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:27 PM

Keyser Soze
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:28 PM
With that many witnesses, the driver better burn for that crap. Jesus, what slow painful way to go.

modette99
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:29 PM

OUTLAWD
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:51 PM

I certainly hope so...

The GECCO
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:31 PM

Manslaughter is more likely, possibly second degree. The premeditation necessary for first degree just isn't there.

~Barn~
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 08:08 PM
RIP Mr. Allen Rose. What a lousy deal, all the way around. =\

BC14
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 11:00 PM
This story got my blood boiling.... Not a happy camper to hear about this...

pauliep
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Idiots make HULK ANGRY

aerofaze
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I drive that route all the time, and it sickened me to hear about it yesterday. The guy was just doing his job, an Iraq veteran making a living for his wife and two teenage kids...

I view it as no less than horrific torture, especially since the news mentions he was still alive when he detached. I hope this isn't true.

RIP.

Wrider
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I feel for the dude. I'm on that road literally every day too aerofaze.
It had to be intentional, especially because there were witnesses claiming they could hear him screaming a block away, now how the fuck do you claim you didn't hear him screaming as you were driving two miles???

Mel
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I'm ensnaring the guy was totally accidental as you can't plan that out, but to drive over a mile with someone screaming, people running towards you and trying to flag you down...then flipping a U turn through a median the moment the guy comes unhooked? Yeah, you can't call that accidental anymore.

modette99
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:20 AM

Stank Juic3
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:54 AM
So did the cops stop him, or did the SUV driver stop on his own accord? I think at that point if I was the SUV driver and knowing I would be facing Jail time...its time to up and leave (high speed pursuit, might as well go out having some fun because you got nothing to loose).

He will probably say he had no idea, probably will get Jail time...if he has no record I could see 5 years being served.

There is no way you can drag someone for a mile and not hear a scream. Also the fact the the person ran into his SUV cause he HAD to see his or her truck being towed. Hope this mofo get LIFE.

puckstr
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 10:16 AM
WTF is Wrong with people today. This is BEYOND accidental, it is homicidal.

dirkterrell
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 10:43 AM
So did the cops stop him, or did the SUV driver stop on his own accord? I think at that point if I was the SUV driver and knowing I would be facing Jail time...its time to up and leave (high speed pursuit, might as well go out having some fun because you got nothing to loose).

Besides potentially killing yet another person?

Dirk

modette99
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 11:00 AM

modette99
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 11:09 AM

dirkterrell
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 11:12 AM
^^^ Like I said if it was me and your looking at real hard time...yeah why not RUN. That only makes common sense...

Endangering others to attempt to cover your own ass when you fuck up = :down:. The world doesn't need thinking like that, but unfortunately we seem to have devolved to where it is "common sense".

Dirk

aerofaze
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 11:27 AM
What the SUV driver was or was not thinking is irrelevant to me, as are the reasons for getting towed in the first place. A man died, gruesomely.

For anyone who is in the neighborhood, a public vigil has been scheduled this afternoon.

Excerpt (http://www.gazette.com/articles/vigil-113446-held-thursday.html):
"A vigil will be held Thursday at the Hill Park Apartments to honor Allen Rose, who died Wednesday after being dragged behind an abandoned SUV he was attempting to tow from the complex.

Kathryn Shelton, the property manager at the apartment complex, said the vigil will be at 5:30 p.m. and will include representatives from several towing companies in Colorado Springs. The public is invited to attend and should enter the complex from the entrance at 360 N. Murray Blvd."

modette99
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 11:59 AM

ghostrider_9
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I am speechless . . . RIP Mr Rose! My condolences to his family . . .

DeeStylez
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 01:00 PM
.......same here Speechless

Prayers go out to the family, RIP

dirkterrell
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 01:40 PM
We all endanger others every day of our lives...surely you never broken the speed limit, or changed lanes with little to no notice!!! I don't ASSUME things will happen in various situations. Cops use that poor logic for 5mph over tickets, when in reality I endangered someones life when I woke up this morning and started the vehicle...things can happen at anytime whether you break or don't break the law. Life is dangerous....

Well, we might as well not have any laws like drunk driving, driving down the wrong side of the street, speed limits in residential neighborhoods, randomly firing weapons, etc because, hell, shit happens anyway.

Dirk

musclemutt99
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 02:41 PM
My heart and prayers goes out to the wife and children of the tow truck driver.

jbnwc
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 03:49 PM
It's interesting to me that everyone on this forum has so far assumed the murdering SUV driver was a male.

The witnesses I saw interviewed on tv referred to the driver as a woman.

jbnwc
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 03:54 PM

I just thought about this a bit more and how it had to go down based on what witnesses said. If you imagine what it must have been like for the guy to be dragged down the road screaming in pain while his skin is ripped off, I don't see how you can give the woman anything less than the chair. If it were me being dragged, I guarantee she would hear me. The witnesses said she got into it with the tow truck driver while he was trying to repo her Landrover and new full well what she was doing when she jumped in the vehicle and drove away.

CaneZach
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Manslaughter is more likely, possibly second degree. The premeditation necessary for first degree just isn't there.

There is no premeditation in Colorado, just deliberation, and Murder in the First has other elements aside from deliberation.

The Black Knight
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 05:14 PM
It's interesting to me that everyone on this forum has so far assumed the murdering SUV driver was a male.

Not only is it a female, but apparently from the News reports it's a minor. Age 14-16, how true that is, I don't know. But as of today, CSPD have not made an arrest yet in this case. Which leads me to think it might be a minor. As they are probably trying to sort everything out and decide how to charge her.

either way what a shitty way to die.
RIP
:(

aerofaze
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 05:44 PM

Not "everyone." I believe a few of us here have been holding back assumptions until more information is released. But shortly after it occurred and even as I type this, the stupid news reports have been all over the place, so I'm not surprised by the confusion.

Dave
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Very sad and shocking… RIP
I live East side central and drive this area regularly and heard today from an unreliable source, that the SUV driver was a very young woman.

I don’t understand how one gets into their SUV and doesn’t notice a tow truck latching onto it. And why was the SUV being towed- illegally parked or possibly being repossessed? hmmm

#1Townie
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Yeah it wasn't a guy that did this. And just you guys know the women are actualy worse then most guys and get wicked crazy. She has not been charged with anything. I have a lot of inside info on this one and it does not look good at all. We had the memorial tonight and I'm not sure how many trucks showed but it was a lot. I hope this lady gets what she desirves.

Wrider
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Yeah it wasn't a guy that did this. And just you guys know the women are actualy worse then most guys and get wicked crazy. She has not been charged with anything. I have a lot of inside info on this one and it does not look good at all. We had the memorial tonight and I'm not sure how many trucks showed but it was a lot. I hope this lady gets what she desirves.

Yeah I drove by right after the memorial. There must have been near 100 tow trucks all with their lights going.

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 07:34 AM
And the guy that drove off probably never thought he face jail time that day either. Sucks for both parties, I've never been towed but yet I'm not fond of tow drivers that go around towing people for simple infractions...worst are the ones that watch an area (over by Comcast in Springs is a good example and the tow lot is at the back...lol No signs either in a lot of cases).

I don't mean to flame, but that is a dumb-ass comment. The ASSHOLE in the SUV did something so horrendous there aren't even words for it, just because they didn't want to be towed! There is NO WAY that they didn't know he was there, I don't care what they say. You know, if you pay the driver $75 on the spot, they will unhook.

puckstr
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 07:47 AM

Negative. I never assumed the gender of the driver

modette99
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 08:22 AM

modette99
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 08:36 AM

jbnwc
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Sorry I believe in innocent till proven guilty and you my friend are no more privy to what happened in this case then I am, unless you are an investigating officer. I'm just tired of people reading a news story and getting up in arms when THEY don't know the facts. Just like when someone post something dealing with a motorcycle and car crash. The witch hunt gets old and tiring.

Someone said Land Rover...the pictures on the one news site showed a Yukon I believe. Hell the news can not get whether it was a female, male, vehicle type, or age of driver correct but you want me to assume they reported all the other information which some of you hold as "facts" as correct...LOL I remember in College we did and experiment in Psychology class, a random person walked in sat down, stayed for a bit and walked out...unknown to us and then the Professor asked if anyone walked in, what did they look like and what were they wearing...amazingly everyone got it wrong. As a basic law class taught, witnesses mean nothing because they tend to forget and make things up as if it was FACT. So me not being there, I have doubts how things happened.

I'm going to pretend that none of this happened and it's all media hype because that would make me feel better.:canuck:

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Sorry I believe in innocent till proven guilty and you my friend are no more privy to what happened in this case then I am, unless you are an investigating officer. I'm just tired of people reading a news story and getting up in arms when THEY don't know the facts. Just like when someone post something dealing with a motorcycle and car crash. The witch hunt gets old and tiring.

Someone said Land Rover...the pictures on the one news site showed a Yukon I believe. Hell the news can not get whether it was a female, male, vehicle type, or age of driver correct but you want me to assume they reported all the other information which some of you hold as "facts" as correct...LOL I remember in College we did and experiment in Psychology class, a random person walked in sat down, stayed for a bit and walked out...unknown to us and then the Professor asked if anyone walked in, what did they look like and what were they wearing...amazingly everyone got it wrong. As a basic law class taught, witnesses mean nothing because they tend to forget and make things up as if it was FACT. So me not being there, I have doubts how things happened.
My friend, if you at any time get into your vehicle and take off with someone attached to the back and then don't stop, but insted proceed to drag them to their death. Then after they come loose you don't stop, but leave them to die, there is no excuse, there is no benifit of the doubt, there is no way that you didn't know that they were there! Yes, they have to go through due process, but if they have the actual driver in custody, they have a very guilty person who is in great need of punishment.

modette99
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 12:57 PM

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Ahhh they don't have the driver, she is not officially charged with anything as of yet. Its all speculation at this point based on some news stories that can get a thing straight.

Someone said she might be 14-16 years old...along with that and its a Land Rover...huh really would a 14-16 year old have a Land Rover, or even a somewhat nice Yukon...would they even have a loan. I see a lot of false information.

Maybe once the police finished their investigation we will see a better picture of the events that day. Really if the lady was smart she would be in the media telling her side.

I still find it hard to picture that they argued (what another report said) then she got in the vehicle and he somehow became attached. What did the tow driver do? Did he go under the vehicle to TRY and hook her up while she was getting in to drive off...which I'm not justifying his death but that be a stupid move to make when you know she is going to drive away. If she was in the vehicle he should of steeped back, its not worth getting run over or dragged just because "you are doing your job".

I really would like to know how he became entangled, this would help a lot of tow drives learn what not to do, or even what to do in the same situation. So far its all speculation, even on what the news reported on.

Hey I like to give benefit of the doubt to ALL people till I hear their story. But so much in the media we ever hear about is from one side, the side that sounds news worthy at that moment.
Some people just love to play the devil's advocate. Let me repeat: there is no scenario that you can come up with in which the driver of the SUV is in the right and the victim is in the wrong. As the operator of a vehicle you have duty and responsabilty to operate that vehicle safely. That includes checking your vehicle for any chains, cables, tow trucks, tow truck drivers, or anything else that may be attached to your vehicle. You are also required to periodically check behind you to be sure you are driving safely and..... I don't know..... NOT DRAGGING SOMEONE TO THEIR DEATH! You are also required to have enough comand of your vehical to tell the differance between how it handles when all is well and how it handles when something is a little amiss, like maybe when YOU'RE DRAGGING SOMEONE TO THEIR DEATH! Do you get it? There is no excuse!

#1Townie
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 02:03 PM
And the guy that drove off probably never thought he face jail time that day either. Sucks for both parties, I've never been towed but yet I'm not fond of tow drivers that go around towing people for simple infractions...worst are the ones that watch an area (over by Comcast in Springs is a good example and the tow lot is at the back...lol No signs either in a lot of cases).

well i am happy that you dont like tow truck drivers, good for you. i feel bad for you that some day you might have a brake down at three in the morning and some poor slob has to climb out of bed to come pick your stranded ass up because your car broke down on you.

as for your comments to pinkys and that. i have no relations to that company and i know the complaints but fact of the matter is that people are ILLEGALY parking in the parking lot of another PRIVATE business. it does not matter if the parking lot is empty at the time or not. it is their parking lot. how would you feel if some one parking in your drive way to go to your neighbors house? also there are plenty of signs in that parking lot that say parking for blah blah only. their bad. shouldnt have been lasy.

fact is people who do these typs if tows including myself are just serving a client. its that simple. if you are too dumb to look to see a sign or understand that parking at another persons place of business to do business at the neighbors you desirve to pay for your ignorance.

the reason why the prices for these high risk tows are so high is because they are high risk. PEOPLE GET KILLED doing these typs of tows. it is still a job that needs to be done.

D Berns R6
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 07:46 AM

There is no premeditation in Colorado, just deliberation, and Murder in the First has other elements aside from deliberation.

Only deliberation is needed as Zach stated, not premeditation. but this is where he was getting at (if I'm not mistaken) and no deliberation is even needed...

18-3-102 Murder in the first degree

(d) Under circumstances evidencing an attitude of universal malice manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life generally, he knowingly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to a person, or persons, other than himself, and thereby causes the death of another; or

CaneZach
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Only deliberation is needed as Zach stated, not premeditation. but this is where he was getting at (if I'm not mistaken) and no deliberation is even needed...

(d) Under circumstances evidencing an attitude of universal malice manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life generally, he knowingly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to a person, or persons, other than himself, and thereby causes the death of another; or

That is exactly what I was getting at. I don't like to get into legal discussions on the board because it inevitably turns into a flamefest that I really don't want to be a part of (not that Gecco was going to turn it into one, but I could see some other board members opining).

Whether she is ultimately found guilty or not is up to the jury. I imagine she will likely be charged with Murder in the 1st Degree under the elements DBerns quoted and will either face a trial or plead to a lesser offense, such as Murder in the 2d Degree.

The Black Knight
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 09:02 AM
http://www.krdo.com/news/27006978/detail.html

"Officers said they arrested Detra Farries, 32, on the charge of manslaughter at around 7:30 p.m. Friday. She was booked into the El Paso County Jail."

Looks like an arrest was finally made. And wouldn't you know it, she only gets "manslaughter" as the charge. This is pretty sad. Dragging a man over a mile and then getting "manslaughter"???

modette99
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 10:10 AM

Sarge
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Wait wait wait, if I'm reading this correctly, it states that Colorado allows assisted suicides by medical caregivers?

(I typically support this, I just thought it was illegal in the U.S. ?)

modette99
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 11:13 AM

D Berns R6
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Wait wait wait, if I'm reading this correctly, it states that Colorado allows assisted suicides by medical caregivers?

(I typically support this, I just thought it was illegal in the U.S. ?)

(c) Paragraph (a) of this subsection (4) shall NOT be interpreted to permit a medical caregiver to assist in the suicide of the patient.

No they can't. and pulling the plug is not considered assisted suicide, that is a decision the family makes.

Sarge
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 11:24 AM
No they can't. and pulling the plug is not considered assisted suicide, that is a decision the family makes.

Haha, it was right in front of me and I didn't see it.

Teach me to open my mouth before I see the entire story. :slap:

FZRguy
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Update: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/27006997/detail.html

CaptGoodvibes
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 03:58 PM
OMG!!! From the comments...

The arrested woman's husband did a hit and run killing a few years ago!

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_12573814

modette99
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 04:26 PM

The GECCO
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 06:02 PM

Deliberation, premeditation, potato, potahto. They both mean you had time to think it over and decided to cause someone harm, and intended for the victim to die. I don't think either of those elements is present here. Was she reckless, stupid, ignorant, etc, etc, etc....yes, but I don't think she said to herself "That guy is towing my truck. I'm gonna kill him."

The (d) subsection doesn't apply either. In order to apply it, you have to demonstrate the defendant had no regard for human life as a rule. That's actually a pretty tough bar to clear. Usually you have to show a pattern of behavior in order to make such a charge. A single act of incredible stupidity won't cut it.

I'm not defending what she did, nor am I saying she shouldn't be held accountable. I'm just saying it doesn't meet the criteria for a First Degree Murder charge. I know you and Zach are both cops, but this is why charges are ultimately decided by the lawyers in the DA's office.

"Officers said they arrested Detra Farries, 32, on the charge of manslaughter at around 7:30 p.m. Friday. She was booked into the El Paso County Jail."

Well, I'll be damned....

The GECCO
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I know you and Zach are both cops, but this is why charges are ultimately decided by the lawyers in the DA's office.

BTW, this isn't meant to be an insult, I'm just saying that there's a difference. Lawyers aren't trained to be cops, and cops aren't trained to be lawyers.

D Berns R6
Sun Feb 27th, 2011, 07:55 AM
BTW, this isn't meant to be an insult, I'm just saying that there's a difference. Lawyers aren't trained to be cops, and cops aren't trained to be lawyers.

No worries Glenn. Until my arms are as big as yours, I'll never have a problem with you. :lol: I was taught take the highest crime I see fit and let the DA do as they please...most of the time it is disheartening to see the charges that were filed and the sentence that was imposed. Sometimes, it is justified.

CaneZach
Sun Feb 27th, 2011, 09:14 AM
No worries Glenn. Until my arms are as big as yours, I'll never have a problem with you. :lol: I was taught take the highest crime I see fit and let the DA do as they please...most of the time it is disheartening to see the charges that were filed and the sentence that was imposed. Sometimes, it is justified.

Agreed. I've pushed for higher charges, as long as I have the evidence, and let the DA decide to reduce them during a plea bargain. I've also had DA's refuse to go for higher charges because the acts fell between lower charge A and higher charge B.

I based my interpretation on the media's reports since I didn't have the evidence the investigating officers do. If they believe manslaughter is the appropriate charge, then so be it. At the same time, I've rarely had a deputy DA respond to one of my investigations. They're notified at the time, but they rarely come out. I've filed countless felonies over my 12 year career and I think the DA's office has come out three times.