PDA

View Full Version : MCN's: How to wheelie

adametal
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:19 PM
Im not a stunt rider or anything but MCN put this video up a while ago which I thought was pretty much on the mark. Also a fun video for anyone who wants to learn how to wheelie.

http://bcove.me/djm520is

FZRguy
Wed Feb 23rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
excellent vid

Matty
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 07:38 AM
not bad... i still wouldn't recommend clutching a 600 up in 1st gear. Use 2nd.....

Mother Goose
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 08:28 AM
In Colorado, you should learn to clutch up a 600 in 1st, IMO. Trying to clutch up a 600 at this altitude in 2nd (assuming sit downs) takes some more skill that the average n00b wouldn't have.

Matty
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 08:33 AM
In Colorado, you should learn to clutch up a 600 in 1st, IMO. Trying to clutch up a 600 at this altitude in 2nd (assuming sit downs) takes some more skill that the average n00b wouldn't have.

I can easily loop my 600 out here in 1st. just saying.

Mother Goose
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I can easily loop my 600 out here in 1st. just saying.
Well, yeah. I'm just thinking about n00bs. I was scared shitless when I learned and barely got the front wheel off the ground and thought I was going to loop it. :lol:

Mother Goose
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:13 AM
And one more thing..... yut ughhh!!

OUTLAWD
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I still am scared...i just power it up on the gixxer, I need the clutch for the triumph, but I'm too much of a pussy

Sean
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I've always wanted to learn how to wheelie. The closest I've gotten is a tiny power wheelie at the track. And that scared the crap out of me! Maybe this year?

Benhart21
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:42 AM
How much for private lessons big boy?

Mother Goose
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:49 AM
How much for private lessons big boy?
It's free for you, sexy man!

vort3xr6
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:49 AM
First gear wheelies are really sketch. Better off buying a crf 50 and learning balance point and rear brake control.

Benhart21
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:57 AM
It's free for you, sexy man!
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/benhart21/Random/UnamusedShiftyEyes.gif

Damn you!!!

Depths_of_Mind
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 11:32 AM

Cover the rear brake... :lol:

Megan
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 09:44 PM
ha ha yut ughh this is how you really wheelie! LMAO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4F94DnATY

BigE
Sun Feb 27th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I still am scared...i just power it up on the gixxer, I need the clutch for the triumph, but I'm too much of a pussy

Dave, for the Triumph all you need to do is be rolling at about 15-20mph in first, at about 4k rpm and give the gas a chop/ dump while tugging the bars. There's a reason that school uses S3's for wheelie school....Torque! Yea, buddy! Seriously our Sprints will do this with a little effort even with stock gearing, a S3 you need to be ready not to loop it (don't ask me :slap:). :D

OUTLAWD
Sun Feb 27th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Dave, for the Triumph all you need to do is be rolling at about 15-20mph in first, at about 4k rpm and give the gas a chop/ dump while tugging the bars. There's a reason that school uses S3's for wheelie school....Torque! Yea, buddy! Seriously our Sprints will do this with a little effort even with stock gearing, a S3 you need to be ready not to loop it (don't ask me :slap:). :D

it was way easier at sea level ;)

BigE
Sun Feb 27th, 2011, 03:34 PM
:lol:

navajowalks
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:00 AM
Just tap the rear brake and you won't loop!

Wheelies 101: not high enough add gas!
Too high add brake...

Why mak your wheelies faster when your learning.... 1st gear is fine, learn to control it there and every gear after that should be easy... find a parking lot to learn in... my 2 cents

Mother Goose
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:06 AM
And make sure you bring it down smoothly, unless you really like changing fork seals a lot.

Mother Goose
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:08 AM
Cover the rear brake... :lol:
Always a good idea. :up: But most of the time, chopping the throttle will bring it right down.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
And make sure you bring it down smoothly, unless you really like changing fork seals a lot.Isn't that just a myth? Dirt bikes aren't blowing their seals on huge landings. I bottom my dirt bike all the time on jumps. What has more of an affect is the dirt that dries to the fork tube. That hard stuff kills the seal when it scrapes past it, dirt or street.

Mother Goose
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Isn't that just a myth? Dirt bikes aren't blowing their seals on huge landings. I bottom my dirt bike all the time on jumps. What has more of an affect is the dirt that dries to the fork tube. That hard stuff kills the seal when it scrapes past it, dirt or street.
Aren't dirt bikes built for that stuff though? I'd bet that their fork design is a lot different (stronger) than a street bike.

When I had my F4i, I was doing them like crazy and had to replace them twice in 12k miles. I have 22k miles on the R1 and haven't had a problem. Probably helps that I hardly do them anymore, and when I do, I know how to bring one down smoothly.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:31 AM
Aren't dirt bikes built for that stuff though? I'd bet that their fork design is a lot different (stronger) than a street bike.The fork diameter is bigger, but I've rebuilt both and the seals appear to be the same.:dunno:

Thanks to Marcus McBain, my R1 has waaaay too weak a front spring and bottoms when I run over a cigarette butt. That has been since the end of 2004 and the seals are still solid. I can almost bottom just by pushing the bike by hand and hit the front brake.

navajowalks
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 05:41 PM
Slamming a street bike down a bunch of times doing wheelies will eventullay cause leaky seals... even though the seals may apear to be the same remember a dirt bike is maybe 220lbs, and sport bikes weight over 400lbs... probably quite a bit more of suspension travel on dirtbikes too...

Charlie Rotten
Fri Mar 4th, 2011, 11:00 PM
2nd gear wheelies are impossible sitting down for me.
1st gear wheelies are hard enough and i cant seem to hold them more than a second.
any thoughts?

navajowalks
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 09:36 AM
2nd gear wheelies are impossible sitting down for me.
1st gear wheelies are hard enough and i cant seem to hold them more than a second.
any thoughts?

Going to fast when your pulling it up in first and too slow when trying in second...

Its really a fine line in the perfect clutch slip, if you start out at a slower speed in 1st gear it should be easier for it to some up, but it make sure you cover the rear brake and tap it if it come up too high...