PDA

View Full Version : Kansas to approve Dead Red bill for cycles?

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 07:42 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/23/kansas-house-approves-allowing-bikers-run-red-lights/?test=latestnews

Ever been itching to run a red light that just won't change? Kansas lawmakers think motorcycle riders should be able to do just that.
The Kansas House on Tuesday approved a bill that would allow bikers to run a red light if the signal "fails" to turn green after a "reasonable period of time." The proposal leaves the discretion in the hands of the motorcyclist, but is aimed at ensuring riders don't get trapped in perpetuity at intersections because of signals that either malfunction or don't detect the motorcycles.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/23/kansas-house-approves-allowing-bikers-run-red-lights/#ixzz1Et5V0GqS

salsashark
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 08:02 AM
If a common sense law like this can correct the problem without spending money to retro-fit existing traffic control devices, I'm all for it. And since the "people that really need it" already paid for the licenses to allow them on the roads, why shouldn't they expect traffic lights that work?

I agree with this guy...

dirkterrell
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I've always done this anyway. If it's a light I hit often, I'll call up the appropriate agency and let them know that it's malfunctioning.

Dirk

GuitarX
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Something that actually makes sense coming from a government? It'll never happen. :wait:

CaneZach
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 08:32 AM
It's actually legal in Colorado to run a malfunctioning light, in case y'all didn't know. You're supposed to stop at the light for a few cycles-worth before going, but it is legal.

Mother Goose
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I've ran a few lights because of this. Perfect example was trying to go east on Hwy 58 from south bound hwy 93. If you're the only one trying to turn, you'll be there all day.

salsashark
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:04 AM
It's actually legal in Colorado to run a malfunctioning light, in case y'all didn't know. You're supposed to stop at the light for a few cycles-worth before going, but it is legal.

I thought so, but I didn't want to ask you and drag you into a potential flamefest thread...

OUTLAWD
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I wait for one complete cycle, then go when its clear

Mother Goose
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I thought so, but I didn't want to ask you and drag you into a potential flamefest thread...
That NEVER happens! ;)

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I've ran a few lights because of this. Perfect example was trying to go east on Hwy 58 from south bound hwy 93. If you're the only one trying to turn, you'll be there all day.

I've spent my share of cycles waiting for this one too.
:sleeping:

Joe
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Done it.
Will do it again.

Hell, I even ran a red light (as it was turning red) when I saw that the car behind me had no intention of stopping, and didn't want to end up getting prius'd.

That driver soon learned that I wasn't happy with her inattentiveness.

salsashark
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Hell, I even ran a red light (as it was turning red) when I saw that the car behind me had no intention of stopping, and didn't want to end up getting prius'd.

Just don't do that at S. bound Parker Road & 225 (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=39.658393,-104.848055&spn=0.003159,0.005794&t=h&z=18) (barring, of course, you're not going to get hit). That's an expensive ticket and Aurora cops LOVE to hang out behind that old McDonalds. Believe me... I know!

Wrider
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 10:49 AM
There's a particular intersection on South Academy here in the Springs that doesn't change early in the morning (4:00 ish) and I used to hit it every day on the way to work. The first time I sat for 15 minutes in a Jeep waiting for it to change, the second time 10 minutes, and every subsequent time I'd treat it like a stop sign.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 10:43 AM
I usually put the kick stand down and go push the button

DeeStylez
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 03:14 PM

Hummm..... I need to talk with my buddy on this one. He told me he sat on his bike nearly 5 minutes and the light never changed for him. So he crossed over and unfortunate for him he gets pulled over. He explained to the officer that the light wouldn't change for him. The officer told him next time walk the bike accross, or use the cross walk button lol. He was handed a ticket. This was in Denver.

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM

I'm trying to locate where that's specified in statute.

during my search, I found this interesting tidbit;

under the improper and reckless driving section for Weld county
1009 Coasted Vehicle Down Grade With Gears in Neutral TIA $70 + $11 3points.

Had no idea....

http://www.colocode.com/weld/weld_06.pdf

Darth Do'Urden
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 05:17 PM
I just moved here a little over a month ago, and I've already found a particularly bothersome left turn light on my route to work. It's a double-turn, and I've found that if I'm the only one in the right lane of the double-turn then the light doesn't see me at all. There's a 50% chance that it'll see me if I'm in the left lane. The biggest problem is that it's a photo-enforced intersection (Bowles/W Littleton Blvd & Sante Fe/85), so I haven't tested running it yet. I sat there for 4 cycles one time, then ended up going straight and flippin' a U-turn to avoid a possible red-light camera ticket.

It seems like all the lights around here (Littleton at least) have top-mounted sensors instead of the metallic sensors embedded in the pavement (maybe because of all the snow? I don't know...), so I don't get the luxury of putting my kickstand down on a sensor strip to trigger the light. Pretty friggin' frustrating at times.

I'd be highly interested in seeing an actual statute addressing this issue that I could print out and keep on me while riding.

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 06:22 PM
I just moved here a little over a month ago, and I've already found a particularly bothersome left turn light on my route to work. It's a double-turn, and I've found that if I'm the only one in the right lane of the double-turn then the light doesn't see me at all. There's a 50% chance that it'll see me if I'm in the left lane. The biggest problem is that it's a photo-enforced intersection (Bowles/W Littleton Blvd & Sante Fe/85), so I haven't tested running it yet. I sat there for 4 cycles one time, then ended up going straight and flippin' a U-turn to avoid a possible red-light camera ticket.

It seems like all the lights around here (Littleton at least) have top-mounted sensors instead of the metallic sensors embedded in the pavement (maybe because of all the snow? I don't know...), so I don't get the luxury of putting my kickstand down on a sensor strip to trigger the light. Pretty friggin' frustrating at times.

I'd be highly interested in seeing an actual statute addressing this issue that I could print out and keep on me while riding.

You need to send an email to the local traffic engineer reporting the light. Having this documented in email could be important later. Besides, they are usually good about fixing things. Can't expect it to change if you don't speak up.

I've complained to the county about the yellow light duration on a particular intersection. They copied me as they forwarded it to the state. About six weeks later, the state emailed me back that they checked the light and to go pound sand because it checked out within state limits.

Regardless, they did look into it even if they didn't agree with me.

Consulting the google machine, this information is very easy to find http://www.littletongov.org/publicservices/default.asp

CaneZach
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 06:27 PM
I go back to work tomorrow. I'll see if I can find the statute and post it up