PDA

View Full Version : Out of state purchase?

bodhizafa
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Has anyone here purchased a bike from a dealer out of state and flown or drove to pick it up? How did you go about it? How did you become convinced that it was worth it and not a lemon?

JohnEffinK
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I did it with two vehicles and dang Ebay. Both were reputable seeming so I took the chance. One was an independant broker and it was a 2007 F250 with low miles in 2008. That one was low risk because I drove (with wife to bring car home) and could just drive the 6 hours home....the second was a car for my wife at the time. Dealer was a porsche dealer so I felt good about flying her from TX to Indianapolis then she drove home. There was a certain degree of risk with that but since it was a porsche dealer I felt OK....For that transaction dealer met her at the airport with the car and they did the paperwork at the terminal and she drove off.

Bottom line is only you can make an assessment on what is reasonable risk and have a fallback (read: return trip) plan if the vehicle is a dud. But you will be out your travel money.

GOOD LUCK!

John

salsashark
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I bought my Buell from a dealer in WI. I did some research online and found that they're a large dealer with a good reputation, called the salesman and negotiated the sale on the phone. I had the bike delivered, but everything was done by the dealer. It worked out very smoothly.

I don't know about buying from a private party over the phone... that's another thing all together.

bodhizafa
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 02:03 PM
It just popped in my head.

I saw some, what looked to be good deals, on Street Triples everywhere but Colorado :mad:

The travel stuff is fun to me, so no worries there. More worried about getting somewhere and then seeing something that was not advertised I guess.

salsashark
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 02:10 PM
^^ I'd do the deal over the phone, then fly in and pick up the bike. I wouldn't travel without haven't everything locked down.

I was going to do that w/ the Buell, but I didn't think 1000 mile highway drive on a brand new engine in potentially horrible weather sounded like fun (or a proper breakin) so I chose to have it shipped.

But yeah, do the deal... then go get the bike.

DriverDave
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I bought an 88 Magna from a private seller (it was on ebay, but I ended up buying outside of ebay...I know, dumb move) but he was obviously honest and it all worked out. Payed with paypal, and had it shipped. Got the exact bike he described. I then bought my 07 VFR800 from a dealer in TN over the phone. Again, had it shipped. No problems at all. You can do lots of research, but ultimately, it comes down your gut...if it seems shady, run away...if it seems kosher, go for it and hope for the best!