PDA

View Full Version : Best tires for dual sport in CO

Trental
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:56 PM
New guy alert!

I have the "authorization" from the wife to get a dual sport once I finish school, so I want to do a bit of research before the time comes.

I do a lot of fly fishing and I am looking for a dual sport to get me places relatively cheaply (fuel) and also something I can have fun on.

What I am wondering about is tires. When I am eyeball'n dual sport bikes in the real world I see a variety of tire choices. Knobs and non-knobs (?). What goes into the decision on what tire to go with? I mean, I understand that if you are going to be off-road most of the time then knobs would be the way to go... but what if you are just using the bike to go fishing? (pavement to gravel mostly... with maybe a trail or two thrown in there)

Is there even a need in Colorado for knobs if you are a fair weather rider/fisherman?

Trental
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Also, how much do tire choices affect gas mileage?

Lomax
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I guess this all depends on your definition of dual sport.

I have found that the TKC80 is a great tire for on the highway and works good also in the dirt. It might not be aggressive enough for mud and hard core off road. I have many miles on this tire on heavier bikes. KTM 950, BMW GS, KLR650 etc.

For more of a dirt type tire but one that also wears fairly well on the pavement I prefer the D606 or MT21. I run these on my 450 KTM and XR650L.

There are MANY choices out there depending on what you want to do with them.

TFOG is a great place to get you hooked up on anything you need.

Marc

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 10:04 PM
tires and the right bike will depend on what the majority of your riding will be 80%pavement/20%dirt? 50%/50%?

some dual sports are street bikes that are dirt capable. some are dirt bikes that are street capable.

sounds like you're in the 80/20 catagory. DR650 or KLR with a mild enduro tire.

Trental
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Ok... the TKC80 is what I was calling "knobby" (looked at some google photos). So those actually run on the pavement pretty well? I definitely don't think I need anything more aggressive than that for what I would be doing.

Yeah, I would say I will probably fall into the 80%-20% category. Pavement heading out to go fly fishing, and some gravel access roads. I would love to find some trails that would end up at some nice fishing too though. This would almost always be in fair weather though. (Rough weather I'll just drive because of the excess gear)

Nick_Ninja
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 10:20 PM
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123273

Trental
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I am 6'3" tall so I have kind of been looking towards the KLR650.

Also wouldn't rule out a used GS650 of some sort.

Trental
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 10:23 PM
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123273

WHOA... 35 pages of info to read through. Right on. I'm going to get one of these :guinness: and kick back for the read. Thanks.

Trental
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting to get any answers for a day or two. You guys are quick.

Since were on a roll here. Is there a company that makes... fishing pole tubes(?) that bolt on like panniers? I thought about making some out of aluminum tubing. I tried doing some google searches but I don't think I am using the right terms.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 10:58 PM
no fishing here. I'm into archery. I found a bow case with D rings already sewn on. Bought a rifle sling to attach to the D rings and I wear it over my head and one shoulder like a backpack. Cruise all across town to the indoor archery shop.

I'm sure you'll figure something out. In Hawaii I saw a guy with a full size surfboard racked on the side of his bike. Almost like a sidecar.

Trental
Thu Feb 24th, 2011, 11:08 PM
That is a good point. I guess I don't need to have a "pannier tube" permanently mounted on the bike. I could just make a sling for my fly rod tub and do like you do. Then I have to worry about someone stealing my tube while I am off fishing though. I don't carry the tube with me while I am fishing.

I was thinking about a lockable aluminum tube about 35" long and 3" in diameter. I'll keep looking.

bodhizafa
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Try to find some Hieundu K60's (spelling?). supposed to be pretty good, not quite as aggressive as TKC80's and last much longer. I won't get 3k miles out of my TKC's.

Oh and ADVrider is a damn drug! Worse than crack! :)

JohnEffinK
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I am running the Heidenau K60 on the rear and a TKC 80 on the front of my F800GS. Buddy runs TKCs on his front and rear. Another buddy runs Mefo on his KTM990A.

All work well. TKCs are only good for about 3k miles on a heavy bike. Reports of K60 running into the 9k mile range. I dont see it with the 3k miles I have on mine already.

Advrider.com is your friend for all things dualsport.

John

bodhizafa
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I am running the Heidenau K60 on the rear and a TKC 80 on the front of my F800GS. Buddy runs TKCs on his front and rear. Another buddy runs Mefo on his KTM990A.

All work well. TKCs are only good for about 3k miles on a heavy bike. Reports of K60 running into the 9k mile range. I dont see it with the 3k miles I have on mine already.

Advrider.com is your friend for all things dualsport.

John

Where did you get the K60? Is it a 140 or 150? I think that is my next rear on the GS.

bodhizafa
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I am 6'3" tall so I have kind of been looking towards the KLR650.

Also wouldn't rule out a used GS650 of some sort.

Talk to "Sean" on the board, he has an "09" ? KLR that he may be trying to sell soon. Low miles, good guy to deal with.

dirkterrell
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I know a lot of people rag on the Bridgestone Trailwings (aka "DeathWings") but my XR650L came with them and I haven't had the slightest problem with them. I've run them reasonably hard on asphalt without incident. They aren't the greatest in really wet mud, but most of the time I'm just running on fairly mild trails. I'm going to try some other tires to see how they do but I wouldn't be unhappy with another set of TrailWings.

Dirk

JohnEffinK
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Where did you get the K60? Is it a 140 or 150? I think that is my next rear on the GS.

K60 - had to mail order from Heindl Engineering and just ordered another for this year. Good company and quick delivery. Another place that gets decent feedback for online is Moto Amore. I am running the 140 instead of the 150. The 150 was hard to get last year then Germany had some manufacturing changes on the rubber composition. 150 have been unavailable for the better part of a year and the date for them to be back in production keeps slipping.

I just bought another 140 and it is sitting in the garage. Bought it for my run to AK, Yukon, Arctic this summer but will actually run street tires up then do a tire change in Fairbanks back to K60. That said, if you want to check them out maybe we can link up for a ride or if in the Springs, I can drag new one for you to see. I dont think I will get 9k miles out of them like folks are bragging. hence the tire change in Fairbanks instead of trying to push the roundtrip on a new set. Plus my street tires are sitting unused so I will burn them up on the way and leave them in Fairbanks.

John

Sean
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Talk to "Sean" on the board, he has an "09" ? KLR that he may be trying to sell soon. Low miles, good guy to deal with.Hi, I'm "Sean." :lol:

If you are looking for a 50/50 type tire, I've had my eyes on the Pirelli Scorpion's and Mefo Explorer for the KLR. I do a lot of road riding so I don't really want knobbies. And I don't do a lot of sand or mud, so I don't need something that agressive. You'd be surprised what you can make it through with a 50/50 tire and a little stupidity. :up:

bodhizafa
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 10:15 AM
K60 - had to mail order from Heindl Engineering and just ordered another for this year. Good company and quick delivery. Another place that gets decent feedback for online is Moto Amore. I am running the 140 instead of the 150. The 150 was hard to get last year then Germany had some manufacturing changes on the rubber composition. 150 have been unavailable for the better part of a year and the date for them to be back in production keeps slipping.

I just bought another 140 and it is sitting in the garage. Bought it for my run to AK, Yukon, Arctic this summer but will actually run street tires up then do a tire change in Fairbanks back to K60. That said, if you want to check them out maybe we can link up for a ride or if in the Springs, I can drag new one for you to see. I dont think I will get 9k miles out of them like folks are bragging. hence the tire change in Fairbanks instead of trying to push the roundtrip on a new set. Plus my street tires are sitting unused so I will burn them up on the way and leave them in Fairbanks.

John

Cool. I think I'm sold on it anyways. The 140 should be fine for me. 6k miles would double my TKC's. My stock street tires are sitting around unused too, got the TKC's soon after getting the GS :eyebrows:

Trental, you'll have to post up when you get a bike, seems like the dual sport scene on CSC keeps getting bigger, should be some good rides this spring :cheers:

Trental
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Talk to "Sean" on the board, he has an "09" ? KLR that he may be trying to sell soon. Low miles, good guy to deal with.

I'm not quite ready for the purchase just yet. Well, "I" am... but I have to finish school first. Nothing like being nearly 38 and still in school... and still having to ask permission! I feel like I am 7 and asking for my first bicycle. :)

Hi, I'm "Sean." :lol:

If you are looking for a 50/50 type tire, I've had my eyes on the Pirelli Scorpion's and Mefo Explorer for the KLR. I do a lot of road riding so I don't really want knobbies. And I don't do a lot of sand or mud, so I don't need something that agressive. You'd be surprised what you can make it through with a 50/50 tire and a little stupidity. :up:

Ok I'll check those out. What I lack in stupidity I make up for in retardedness. Haha. I used to be a sponsored downhill racer (mountain bikes), so I actually have no shortage of stupidity. As I get older I think it wears off. :)

Trental
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 11:35 AM
One of my questions was going to be about tire life, but it seems like I'm getting answers here and in that link to ADVrider above.

Trental
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Trental, you'll have to post up when you get a bike, seems like the dual sport scene on CSC keeps getting bigger, should be some good rides this spring :cheers:

Will do. Seems like I see almost as many dual sport bikes around as I do Subarus! Haha.

Sean
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Well, "I" am... but I have to finish school first. Nothing like being nearly 38 and still in school... and still having to ask permission!You are not alone, my friend. You have a couple of years on me, but not too many.

Doron&Katie
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Just buy my bike, it comes with bridgstone trailwings.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2171218045.html

Trental
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Just buy my bike, it comes with bridgstone trailwings.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2171218045.html

Nice bike, but I am looking at 650+ bikes. Not too small, not too big... just right. :)

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 01:50 PM
doesn't get any cleaner than this one right here. I get 50mpg on mine

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcd/2210970257.html

Doron&Katie
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 01:50 PM
You're gonna love exploring Colorado.

asp_125
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I have a Beemer F650GS that sees about 20% dirt and mostly commuting on pavement. I run Metzler Tourance on.

https://www.monkeybuttparts.com/images/thumbs/0007618.jpeg

They do ok on most of the fire roads but make the bike really loose at places were the gravel is deep. I can't keep up with the more trail oriented tires. OTOH it doesn't shake me to pieces at 80mph on the freeway. Thinking when I wear through my current set I might go a bit more aggressive on the knobs.

As for bike fishing, I found a collapsible spin casting setup that was for backpacking, and just bungee it to the back of the bike.

Trental
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I have a Beemer F650GS that sees about 20% dirt and mostly commuting on pavement. I run Metzler Tourance on.

https://www.monkeybuttparts.com/images/thumbs/0007618.jpeg

They do ok on most of the fire roads but make the bike really loose at places were the gravel is deep. I can't keep up with the more trail oriented tires. OTOH it doesn't shake me to pieces at 80mph on the freeway. Thinking when I wear through my current set I might go a bit more aggressive on the knobs.

As for bike fishing, I found a collapsible spin casting setup that was for backpacking, and just bungee it to the back of the bike.

That is what I am hoping to get. I've seen used ones for fair prices. How do the Beemers feel on trails and fire roads? Heavy?

I am looking at the Beemer because I know I'll spend 80% or more of my time on pavement or smooth gravel. Plus, I'd love to be able to lug my wife along with me from time to time.

Trental
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 06:23 PM
You're gonna love exploring Colorado.

I do a fair bit of exploring CO now... but unless I hang my head out the window I don't think I am getting near the experience that you all are. :up:

asp_125
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 06:31 PM
That is what I am hoping to get. I've seen used ones for fair prices. How do the Beemers feel on trails and fire roads? Heavy?

I am looking at the Beemer because I know I'll spend 80% or more of my time on pavement or smooth gravel. Plus, I'd love to be able to lug my wife along with me from time to time.

The Beemer is a pig on singletrack, but on most of the forest roads here it's fine. I went on a ride on time thinking it would be fire roads and double track jeep trails, but we did a wrong turn onto some gnarly singletrack with boulders and sh#t. After you drop the bike for the 3rd time and try to pick it up, you'd wish you had a 250.

Big duallies like the GS, KLR650, V-strom, and Multi-strada are really only for occasional dirt road and smooth trail use. Just watch Long Way Round and see how those big bikes suck in the gnarly trails.

Trental
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the info.

I've never heard of that movie but I'll check it out. Looks good.

The KLR650 and GS are the top two on my list right now. I don't really see myself doing any serious trail riding. Like you said, fire roads and Jeep trails.

Would love to do some camping and fishing from the bike.

asp_125
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the info.

I've never heard of that movie but I'll check it out. Looks good.

Really??! What??!! You really ARE a noob! :D Long Way Round with Ewan (Obi Wan) McGregor-rrrr, one of the movies that started this whole dual sport adventure trend.

The KLR650 and GS are the top two on my list right now. I don't really see myself doing any serious trail riding. Like you said, fire roads and Jeep trails.

Would love to do some camping and fishing from the bike.

Keep an eye on the forums, Rampart Range Rd usually opens up the earliest in the spring.

Trental
Fri Feb 25th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Really??! What??!! You really ARE a noob! :D Long Way Round with Ewan (Obi Wan) McGregor-rrrr, one of the movies that started this whole dual sport adventure trend.

Dang, I thought I was gonna slip under the noob radar. :D

I just added Long Way Round and Long Way Down to my Netflix queue. Better be good! haha.

Wife just added another stipulation. I get a bike... she gets a 2nd dog.

Bueller
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Dang, I thought I was gonna slip under the noob radar. :D

I just added Long Way Round and Long Way Down to my Netflix queue. Better be good! haha.

Wife just added another stipulation. I get a bike... she gets a 2nd dog.

I've been riding dirtbikes for 42 years and have never seen any of those movies, and I think I have a logon to ADV but I have no idea what it is.

The best advise I can give is get your wife the dog, but adopt an older dog 'cause puppies are a PIA! :lol:

Sarge
Sat Feb 26th, 2011, 07:01 AM
+1

My wife told me she wanted a dog before we got married. I said we're adopting 'cause I don't want to deal with the poo. We lucked out big time though with a yellow lab/golden mix. He was only a year old and obviously had some advanced training. From day one he wouldn't beg, jump on the couch or the bed, always came when you called him and never barked. First dog I've ever had that I could say "Go lay down!" to and he'd actually go and lay down... Plus he's a big happy puppy, but he still won't jump on you when you come home, he just kind of pops up on his hind legs in front of you but won't actually jump ON you.

Sadly, only took my wife a few months to break him of many of his better habits. :lol: