PDA

View Full Version : Bill in Colorado Legislature

THoward
Mon Feb 28th, 2011, 10:00 AM
An FYI. The Sponsor of this bill is my State Representative and he asked for ABATE's support. So I thought I would post to inform you about it.

Terry

OHV Riders: Call to Action at the State Capitol RE: HB 1264
Posted by Corey on February 25, 2011

Important Message From Jerry Abboud, COHVCO Executive Director

What: Representative Kevin Priola’s Bill to obtain OHV titles and to open up certain unpaved county roads for use by OHVs without requiring county ordinances will be heard.Why: This is a one time charge of $14.50 for a title and a one time charge for a registration and limited use license plate for $15.00 to create a statewide system of open county roads for OHV access.How: The bill will be voted on in the House Transportation Committee and the counties are trying to kill the bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where: State Capitol Bldg. Colfax and Grant in Denver Meet in the basement Cafeteria, we will move to HCR107 also in the basement.When: Wednesday March 2, 2011 @ 1:30pm for 2hours.
We have all dealt with the patch work of handful of roads open to OHVs.
We have watched as out-of-state riders with plates can legally ride roads Colorado Citizens cannot.
The hard nosed tactics of rural counties needs to be checked.Wyoming, South Dakota, Utah, Idaho, Arizona and Montana among others allow for limited use under state law.
Join COHVCO proving that we can bring a hundred citizens who pay county commissioners salaries to show up and be heard.

Without you, the bill will fail as Counties are counting on their citizens to not show up.
Yes, it’s during the day, but that is something that won’t Change.

Come watch the counties squirm when they see you and don’t hesitate to wear a jersey.

We will try to have stickers for you to wear so they know who we are!!

Thank you

**NOTE:

Jerry Abboud has advised that this bill is not COHVCO’s; yes we are involved because the bill was pushed by the current Speaker of the House. Better to stay close and work with the the Speaker and Rep. Priola than leave it to chance. A great deal of thought went into our review of this legislation.

There is no personal property taxes, no annual Dept. of Revenue sticker or registration costs (thanks to COHVCO’s input) the title plate and registration is a one time charge even if you own the vehicle for 25 years. That total charge will be about $35. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PLATE YOUR VEHICLE IT IS AN OPTION, another COHVCO recommendation that was adopted so no one has to participate and they may continue with the status quo and a Parks OHV sticker.

Many of our members have asked repeatedly to provide for more road access when using ATVs/OHVs particularly with Utah, Arizona, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana offering a plate option. We are puzzled that despite years of complaints about country road access that when a legislator offers this very opportunity that it is not well received. This does not represent the requests we have received over the years for more opportunity. Â

If you are among those who choose not to take advantage of this, you are free to not participate.

Â

Most counties already require Insurance and a drivers license to operate on county roads. As for a title, the same states mentioned above have gone to titles for reliable proof of ownership, reduction of theft and recovery of stolen vehicles. State parks has never solved this issue.Â

Soon all western states will have titles making transfer in non-title states very difficult.

Also, it has been noted by OHV dealers that the lack of a title renders the OHV as poor collateral and many, many buyers are having trouble with financing purchases (imagine financing a car with no title) and if this allows more of our members the ability to purchase, we support that position.

Â

Thank you for your comments and please understand this is an option. There is no charge to you if you do not wish to have a plate. You can continue with the OHV sticker. The only change would be a title.

COHVCO

READ THE BILL ON THE COLORADO GENERAL ASSEMBLY WEBSITE:

http://www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLICS2011A/csl.nsf/fsbillcont3/E983A74CF7B53BA9872578180054F6E3?Open&file=1264_01.pdf

Â

Corey Corbett
COHVCO Manager of Operations and OHV Workshop Coordinator
12161 West Mt. Powell
Littleton, COÂ 80127
Cell Phone 303-809-6628
Home Phone 303-933-4011
Fax 303-932-8733

sam38a1
Mon Feb 28th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the post please update if this passes.

Sam

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Feb 28th, 2011, 03:24 PM
ATVing in CO sucks stones. I sold my Grizzly and bought the dual sport because it sucks so hard it hurt.

The laws in WI were friendlier to ATVing than CO

Ricky
Mon Feb 28th, 2011, 03:45 PM
ATVing in CO sucks stones. I sold my Grizzly and bought the dual sport because it sucks so hard it hurt.

The laws in WI were friendlier to ATVing than CO

This!

Anyone who thinks that SAE J 1287 is an acceptable way for normal people to test sound levels of their bikes, has a screw loose. It can't be done except in very specific situations, and with extremely high quality meters. Even a decent $100 dB meter isn't going to be good enough. People from out of state can't be sure that they are in compliance without buying a new muffler that says it meets 96dBa limits, and people in state have to find a place with the special dB meter, and make an appointment for testing. It's impossible for a normal person to pull out a halfway decent dB meter and test their bike on their own. IMO, it's easier to just go out and get a ticket for $100 rather than spend $300 on a new can.

Go to WY, UT, or NM and it's far easier to ride an ATV there. CO is restrictive and lame. Took a trip up to WY last summer and while I didn't need anything because of my plate, Leah paid $15 for a sticker, and it was issued ON THE SPOT, not 6 months later like COHVCO. All Forest Service roads were wide open to us. The whole thing has caused me to look for other places out of state that have good riding. So, instead of me staying here, or going to the mountains in CO and spending money, I spend it in another state. It's easier to plan a trip to a surrounding state than it is to be compliant with multiple bikes and plan a trip within CO.

I'm all for protection, and having to give things up to keep our places to ride, but I feel COHVCO gives up more than they need to. We now have OHV laws in CO nearly equivalent to CA. We're the only state that does.

:down:

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Feb 28th, 2011, 03:48 PM
You mean this isn't California?

FZRguy
Mon Feb 28th, 2011, 10:35 PM
COHVCO is trying to fix this. They need more members and they need people to show up. Until that happens, not much will change.....'cept OHV areas closing down.

http://www.cohvco.org/

gotswap
Sun Mar 20th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Finding conflicted information, what happened with this?