PDA

View Full Version : Tundra or Taco?

asp_125
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 02:46 PM
I'm considering another tow vehicle. Would like to choose between the 2006 (3/4 size) Tundra V8 or the Tacoma V6, both in crew cab configuration. Not planning on towing anything really heavy, <5000lbs. Mostly two bikes or a go-kart and possibly in an enclosed trailer someday, and need to make it over Eisenhower etc.

Anyone towed with these who can offer some comment?

I used to tow with my Frontier and now with my Murano, the Murano does fine with a single bike open trailer going out to High Plains, but that's not up and down any steep grades.

bodhizafa
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 02:51 PM
I had a 2006 Tacoma, great truck. Never towed with it but I did have 2 bikes in the bed a few times. No probs and it was only a 4 banger. It did have some trouble getting over the passes at speed (70mph) but made it. The V6 would have no problems. I'm guessing the Tundra might be a bit overkill for you. Just a guess though.

salsashark
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 02:54 PM
If I had to replace my Dodge (1500 quad cab w/ 5.9L v8 ), the 06 Tundras are at the top of the list. They got real ugly in 07 and haven't improved since.

I've never been a fan of the Tacomas from a comfort level, I don't like the ergos and prefer to not have my feet sticking straight out in front of me. I like to sit up a bit. Also, I know this has changed with the 08s, but I found the back doors on the Tacos to be really narrow. If you're planning on hauling friends, this may be a consideration. I found it incredibly annoying that I smashed my knees climbing out of the back of the Tacoma.

I'm sure the taco would haul a couple of bikes or a trailer just fine, but if it were up to me, the Tundra would definitely have the win.

Ricky
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 03:03 PM
Not sure what tranny you are looking for, but the Tundra is auto only.

Our family has a 1500lb popup tent trailer that we've pulled with Leah's 2010 V6 tacoma, and it pulls very well. That's with the bed completely loaded, loaded camper, 3 people and 2 dogs. For that much weight, Tundra is overkill.

I have a 95 Tacoma with a 2.7l 4 banger, and it pulls that same trailer pretty well, except on the really steep stuff. But I had no problem keeping 80mph driving up to Cheyenne. That was before I got the gears swapped out (went from 3.57's to 4.88's), so I bet it will pull it even better now. Still, that 4.0l V6 in the newer tacos is awesome.

And I don't know what they changed exactly with driver seating position between our two trucks, but I like the position in my old truck way better.

vort3xr6
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 03:05 PM
Jeff, call me if you want to test drive one or both. I will meet you at Toyota West and get you set up.

asp_125
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 03:11 PM
Jeff, call me if you want to test drive one or both. I will meet you at Toyota West and get you set up.

:up: maybe in a few weeks, after my collar bone heals up.

bodhizafa
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 03:39 PM
I've never been a fan of the Tacomas from a comfort level, I don't like the ergos and prefer to not have my feet sticking straight out in front of me. I like to sit up a bit.

Definite problem with the pre 2005 Taco's, never noticed it on my 2006.

asp_125
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 03:43 PM
Definite problem with the pre 2005 Taco's, never noticed it on my 2006.

+1 that was why I chose a Frontier over the Taco back then.

drago52
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 03:59 PM
I have a Tundra and it dominates. I had an older nissan hardbody pickup and it was frustrating to have the bed so small when loading up with crap. I also had a 4-banger in it and it sucked bad going to the mountains. Now I have a '00 V8 Tundra. When I need a truck, it's nice to have a full-size truck.

Ricky
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 04:02 PM
I have a Tundra and it dominates. I had an older nissan hardbody pickup and it was frustrating to have the bed so small when loading up with crap. I also had a 4-banger in it and it sucked bad going to the mountains. Now I have a '00 V8 Tundra. When I need a truck, it's nice to have a full-size truck.

That brings up another point. Tacomas with quad doors, do not have a full 6' bed. Gotta go to a Tundra for that.

Sparker
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 04:10 PM
Ive got an 03 sequoia, same power train, frame, etc as the tundra and I have a 5x8 enclosed. It generally is around the 4000lb and I would really not want to see a taco pull it. Not sure if tacos have tranny coolers but the tundra does which really helps. Also it seems that the suspension is a little soft on the tacos under heavy pull and can start getting a little loose causing the trailer to sway.

Sean
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 04:36 PM
Not to change your choice to get a truck, but doesn't the Murano have a v6? That should be more than enough to tow what you need over the passes. At least most normal size loads. 5k lbs is a lot of weight, considering your gsxr only weights 350 lbs and a 5x8 enclosed is around 800 lbs. Why not just get a nice trailer? I can't imagine a Tacoma being much different than what you have now. Maybe I'm totally wrong? :dunno:

asp_125
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 04:50 PM
No doubt the Mo' can tow, but I miss having a p/u bed for being able to throw shit in the back without worrying about folding seats and leather upholstery etc. A Tundra would let the dirty stuff stay outside and the clean stuff stay inside. Plus in a collision the Pitbulls and tools would be missiles inside an SUV.

Then again, there's Ford and Chebby if I really just wanted a cheap truck.

The Black Knight
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 04:58 PM
Then again, there's Ford and Chebby if I really just wanted a "REAL" truck.
fixed :)

extremepaint
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 05:31 PM
for a tow vehicle freind and family hauler and all round do anything on road truck id go tundra more space more engine more weight to tow toys and what not with.

the 6 in the new tacos puts out a decent amount of tourque for a 4.0 and they trucks use it very well!

if you ever plan to go offroad i would take the taco in a heart beat if the only dirt the truck is gonna see are pot holed dirt roads then ya tundra.

me i have a 95-04 taco and i've put roughly 80 thousand miles on it.... when i first got it i drove from flagstaff to ny in 26 hours straight.... i have wheeled it on some "extreme" trails for an entire day and only after getting tossed around like a midget at a bar fight did my back start hurting. larger side bolsters would have stopped this.....otherwise the pre 05 taco interior is my second favorite place to sit and relax besides my couch! haha

Nvr2late
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 05:55 PM
Definitely Tundra. I use mine as an every day driver and it does a great job as a tow vehicle. We bought a 6' x 12' enclosed trailer a few years back to haul the bikes and it does a great job. Most of the time you can't even tell the trailer is behind you.

sag
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 07:02 PM
"possibly an enclosed someday"

tundra.

derekm
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 10:44 PM
I had an 07 taco crew cab trd off road it was great but once there was one (as in an) baby seat in the rear mid seat the interior space was VERY limited. The 8 cyl tundra def came alive when you put the pedal down but I'm not too sure the loss of mpg's is worth it. If your looking to go to the trd store there is always this gem (http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/features/package_the_5_7l_v8_supercharger_kit.html)

thankgod
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 12:08 AM
I have an 02 Tacoma, been everywhere: LA, Mexico, San Diego, Phoenix all over Colorado, tows like a dream but does have some issues hauling stuff being a smaller truck than the Tundra (Struggles up-hill while towing). It will get the job done, hauling dirtbikes, etc. Now if you wanna tow Semi trucks around, get the Tundra....I love my Taco!

thankgod
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 12:10 AM
I want that SUpercharger!

Graphite675
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:35 AM
I've had 2 Tundras over the past few years. First was a 04' access cab TRD 4x4. Great truck. Pulled my trailer just fine, I towed it accross the country from Florida when I moved out here. Back in 09' we decided we needed a little more leg room for the kid so I traded it in on a 06' Tundra 4dr 4x4 (E-SP edition) The 06' claims about 50 more HP then the 04' (I believe?) but it sure didn't feel like it. It was a real dog. Struggled pulling my trailer around here. It would do it but I was really into the throttle all the time. I think the biggest issue was the 04' TRD may have had a lower gear ratio (axle) so it pulled better?
I love the Tundras but the 06' really dissapointed me with the lack of power. I eventually traded it in last summer for a F-150.

OUTLAWD
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 09:00 AM
Plus in a collision the Pitbulls and tools would be missiles in an SUV.

I think the same thing every time I head to the track...