PDA

View Full Version : [N Met] Tire Tech Seminar! March 19th 2011 @ 2pm

Scer
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 07:58 PM
So, as prime riding time is coming up I wanted to put on a tire seminar for everyone and anyone that could benefit from it.

When: March 19th 2011 @ 2pm

Where: Sol Performance, 233 S. Madison St. Loveland, Co 80537

Why: To share knowledge about street and track tires

Who: Me!

I am just posting this now so I can get some sort of feedback of what topics you guys (and gals) would like to have covered.

So far I have:
Sizes
Pressures and when to adjust (Thanks Casey)
Street vs. Race tires
Rain vs. Intermediate vs. DOT vs. Slick
Warmers
Tearing (Thanks jbnwc (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=1334))
Operating temps for street vs. track tires (Thanks Dave)
'cupping' (Thanks Dave)
carcass stiffness's (Thanks Dave)
"Born on" date (Thanks Sean (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=3237))

If you think something should be added to the list, please let me know. I will update this post when I have a location. I just wanted to give as much notice for the time and date.

Please let me know if you are interested so I can make sure to have enough space for every one... possibly hand outs as well.

(Note: this is not a Dunlop only oriented seminar. It will be generic to apply for all brands)

ride on ridas

jbnwc
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 08:05 PM
If you went into the same sort of material as is detailed in this video, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JutNhZw1TB0

Scer
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 08:16 PM
If you went into the same sort of material as is detailed in this video, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JutNhZw1TB0

See you there then.. I will bring the tires! :)

tear on tear'as ...or hopefully not!

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 08:20 PM
I think operating temps for street v. track tires (and what happens when you don't meet or exceed those temps), different tire wear phenoms, tearing, 'cupping', etc. (more of a suspension thing IMO, but still valuable), the effect of different carcass stiffness's, different compounds for different pavement surfaces/conditions...

But I'm kind of a nerd, so maybe that's more depth than most care to delve into...let me know if you need a hand setting anything up chief

Scer
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks Dave!! I added your suggestions to the list. I will let you know if I need help as I usually always need assistance in one way or another! :)

Assist on assistas

Sean
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 08:57 PM
Maybe talk about age/deterioration, how to find the newness/freshness of a tire? ex: online vendors that sell old tires. :dunno:

Scer
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 09:05 PM
That's actually a good one that not many dealers want you to know. I could get lynched by the tire community for sharing but I will. Just for you dude! :P

share on shar'as

FZRguy
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 09:16 PM
Interested depending on location.

Wrider
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 09:22 PM
Very interested. I know the basics but I'm sure I could learn a ton from you!

jbnwc
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 10:03 PM
... different tire wear phenoms, tearing, 'cupping', etc. (more of a suspension thing IMO, but still valuable)...

This is exactly what I would like to see.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 11:11 AM
MRA New Rider Director Jeff Brown and I will be there with information on the MRA's Super Street class.

Darth Do'Urden
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 12:25 PM
Also interested...also depending on location. =)

cptschlongenheimer
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 12:46 PM
Also in...

And, thanks in advance...

jbnwc
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
MRA New Rider Director Jeff Brown and I will be there with information on the MRA's Super Street class.

:yay:

jbnwc
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
Also interested...also depending on location. =)

Perhaps we could use the Fay Myers' clubhouse??

UglyDogRacing
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
Perhaps we could use the Fay Myers' clubhouse??

Although I like the location, I don't think Oscar wants to come that far south since he lives up in the sticks. I suggested to him to do it somewhere central for everyone.

asp_125
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
The 'Nut? We all know where that is.

Foolds
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 03:56 PM
To Bad I have an event at game exchange that day.. Otherwise I could probably help you out

jbnwc
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Supertune would be a good place. Mike is a big supporter of tech days and the MRA, so he'd be up for it.

supertune
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 05:26 PM
We would be happy to host this!!
We have a large shop, sound system, and can have overhead projection if you want to put a presenation together
Give us a call to organize this!

supertune
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 05:29 PM
Oh, yeah... Giant Sicilian-style Pizza from Vincenza's if you want, too!

FZRguy
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 05:30 PM
We have a large shop, sound system, and can have overhead projection if you want to put a presenation together. Give us a call to organize this!

:yes:

Skinbabe
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
I think you should do it in our livingroom... wait, nevermind, I dont wanna clean up after all of you. :)

salsashark
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:01 PM
We have a large shop, sound system, and can have overhead projection if you want to put a presenation together
Give us a call to organize this!

:up:

Scer
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 07:55 PM
Thank you everyone for the suggestions of venue and for the hospitality!! I have made some plans for the location but I just need to wait for them to get back to me. If it falls through for one reason or another I will make sure to explore the options you have gave me. I really do appreciate the ideas and the willingness to help me out. Very awesome!

help on helpas

675Rider
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 01:20 AM
I would love to come but Im on the other side of the Atlantic. If you are putting together a power point presentation or something, I would be very grateful to get a copy though.

TransNone13
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 03:07 AM
I would love to come but Im on the other side of the Atlantic. If you are putting together a power point presentation or something, I would be very grateful to get a copy though.

ditto

r6rammy
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 09:23 AM
this is interesting, any discussion on how suspension settings affect or are affected by tire wear/size?

I might be in depending on location.

Scer
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 09:55 AM
I haven't really thought about putting this an a power point just yet. If I have some time I will for sure!

I will probably touch a bit on how suspension affects the tire as the tire is a part of suspension. I will go over how the size affects the geometry of the bike.

ask on askas

supertune
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 10:00 AM
One of our specialties is proper suspension builds for type of bike/rider/application (street, sport, track,..), and this has a significant affect on tire performace and wear (and vs/vs).
I let Scer know that I could provide different bikes and suspension parts to help illustrate this, in context with his tire seminar.
Waiting to see if SuperTune will host this, or if he would like my help with this.

Spooph
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 10:06 AM
This is awesome! I'm so in! Also Scer, instead of a power point, why not just video tape it and put it on Youtube for peeps who can't attend?

blaircsf
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
I would be interested in this, thanks for offering this.

Darth Do'Urden
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 12:25 PM
If this goes down at Supertune, then I'm definitely in. It's close enough, and Mike's a great guy--he and his did a great job on my SV650...which so happen to include a rear tire ;)

G35CO
Fri Mar 4th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I'm always interested learning, I’m in
Can you cover proper storage and maintenance?

Scer
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Fist post updated with location.

Sorry but since this is my first time and I am a bit camera shy, I ask it not be recorded. Trust me, this won't be the last time I put on the seminar. :)

Do you mean storage and maintenance of the tires over a period of time like winter or other?

update on updatas

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I'm hoping to be able to ride up there and make this, it's a weekend I don't have my daughter, so....

Darth Do'Urden
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Wow...Loveland. Yeah...I'm not gonna drive 2.5 hours on a Saturday...and it's not even through twisties to get there. Looks like I'm out.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Wow...Loveland. Yeah...I'm not gonna drive 2.5 hours on a Saturday...and it's not even through twisties to get there. Looks like I'm out.
Knowledge is worth nothing to you then? You could always ride P2P down 34 to get there. Not twisty enough for ya? I'm a friend of Scer's, think it's awesome he's offering to do this, and guarantee it'd be worth your time.....unless you're just toooooo fucking cool and already know it all. ;)

Skinbabe
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 09:22 PM

2.5 hours?? If you are close to Supertune its one hour away... and like CycleMonkey said, totally worth it!!

Scer
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 09:22 PM

I am sorry to hear this. I know it is far for some people but all my "stuff" will be with me in Loveland. I wanted to have the seminar on the weekend and later in the day so people could make it out. There are some real good twisties if you travel just west of I-25. Hopefully you can still make it out. :)

..I think it's awesome he's offering to do this, and guarantee it'd be worth your time....

Thanks for the words CM!!

twist on twistas

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the words CM!!

twist on twistas
Don' NOBODY be fuckin' aroun' wif mah main tire man! :)

Darth Do'Urden
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Knowledge is worth nothing to you then? You could always ride P2P down 34 to get there. Not twisty enough for ya? I'm a friend of Scer's, think it's awesome he's offering to do this, and guarantee it'd be worth your time.....unless you're just toooooo fucking cool and already know it all. ;)

Never too cool, and pretty damn ignorant when it comes to bikes in general, but especially tires. I need and want the learnin'...just a bit too high price (distance/time and gas) to pay right now...and I do indeed realize how lame that sounds to everyone. But I's on a budget =P.

2.5 hours?? If you are close to Supertune its one hour away... and like CycleMonkey said, totally worth it!!

Taking a straight shot up 25 from Littleton is an hour and ten minutes. Round trip is right about 2.5 hours. If I were to try and make the ride "fun", I'd have to head northwest, dramatically increasing the time to get there. Now I've done 6 hour days on my bike...but I wouldn't exactly call those days "fun" (at least my ass wouldn't). =)

I am sorry to hear this. I know it is far for some people but all my "stuff" will be with me in Loveland. I wanted to have the seminar on the weekend and later in the day so people could make it out. There are some real good twisties if you travel just west of I-25. Hopefully you can still make it out. :)

Hey, I think it's friggin' awesome that you're doing this! I just won't be able to make that sort of drive. I'd love to meet a bunch of you local folks, as well as learn all I can about motorcycles. It's just a touch out of reach for me this time around.

OUTLAWD
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 11:59 PM
.....unless you're just toooooo fucking cool and already know it all. ;)

I AM pretty cool, and do know alot, but I'll still head down (finally something that is close to me)

G35CO
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Fist post updated with location.

Sorry but since this is my first time and I am a bit camera shy, I ask it not be recorded. Trust me, this won't be the last time I put on the seminar. :)

Do you mean storage and maintenance of the tires over a period of time like winter or other?

update on updatas
Yes, thanks

Mother Goose
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Moved to Social Events & a bump for this Saturday. :up:

asp_125
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I be thurr.. :up:

learn on learnas

Scer
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 11:46 AM
yes, we can go over winter storage tips.

Also, I can cover what happened at daytona, why it happened and what you can do to prevent it.

thanks for the bump wicky.
bumps on bumpas

frank2
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I'll be there, I live in Loveland.

OUTLAWD
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Also, I can cover what happened at daytona, why it happened and what you can do to prevent it.

not ride at daytona :dunno:

FZRguy
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I think he's referring to Eslick's crash.

R1-Laubinero
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 07:56 PM
wow Id love to go -- tires be part of botha classes i teach--heck i even live in Loveland too---but im out at work again--Ill be getting home on the 19th---probably cant make it-- I do have a curicullum for you to follow or mold as you need--- just PM me if you want it

khuebner250
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I'll be there with my brother too.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Any idea how much time you expect to take in covering the topics? Hour?

Scer
Fri Mar 18th, 2011, 06:00 AM
sorry for the delay, my "new posts" didn't show anything new on the thread.

Anything you want to send me would be great for consideration. thanks!

[QUOTE=TinkerinWstuff;549296]Any idea how much time you expect to take in covering the topics? Hour?

I would plan for 2 hours but it should only take an hour and half.

By what happened at daytona, I mean eslick, the long delay and the overheated tires.

See you guys tomorrow!!

play on playas

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Mar 18th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Never too cool, and pretty damn ignorant when it comes to bikes in general, but especially tires. I need and want the learnin'...just a bit too high price (distance/time and gas) to pay right now...and I do indeed realize how lame that sounds to everyone. But I's on a budget =P.

Taking a straight shot up 25 from Littleton is an hour and ten minutes. Round trip is right about 2.5 hours. If I were to try and make the ride "fun", I'd have to head northwest, dramatically increasing the time to get there. Now I've done 6 hour days on my bike...but I wouldn't exactly call those days "fun" (at least my ass wouldn't). =)

So if you jumped on your bike, it would cost you $7 in gas and about 4.5 hours out of your day total with travel time? For a free seminar you'd likely have to pay for anywhere else? If it were twisties you would have been ok with that? Hock some shit on ebay for gas money and get your ass to the seminar!!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Mar 18th, 2011, 09:46 PM
So if you jumped on your bike, it would cost you $7 in gas and about 4.5 hours out of your day total with travel time? For a free seminar you'd likely have to pay for anywhere else? If it were twisties you would have been ok with that? Hock some shit on ebay for gas money and get your ass to the seminar!!
'Zackly!

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I'll be there

asp_125
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Great seminar, 'Scer. Learned a lot. Thanks to you, "Vanna Brown" and Scott for an informative afternoon.

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Great seminar, 'Scer. Learned a lot. Thanks to you, "Vanna Brown" and Scott for an informative afternoon.

Amen to that. Thank you very much for taking a Saturday to provide this information.

An additional thank you for the snacks and soda.

Spooph
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Yup yup, indeed, thank you all a bunch! It was a great success! I learned a TON. Can't wait for the next one on suspension <wink>

Scer
Sun Mar 20th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks to everyone who came out! I hope to have another one sometime in the future. I will take everones comments and questions into consideration for sure.

Thanks again guys!

ride on ridas

Skinbabe
Sun Mar 20th, 2011, 07:51 AM
An additional thank you for the snacks and soda.

Welcome :p:p

cptschlongenheimer
Mon Mar 21st, 2011, 09:33 AM
Unfortunately my wife's car required some emergency repair this weekend and I was unable to get the time to go. But, I wanted to thank you anyway for sharing your time and I hope you have the desire to do this again later this year.