PDA

View Full Version : clutch work on 01 gsx-r1000

2wheeler4life
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 11:14 AM
Hey all, new here and can't wait to get out on a ride with everyone! looking to do some clutch work on my 01 gsxr1k before the st pattys day ride. the clutch has been getting kinda jumpy if you slip it off the line. Only way to stop it is to barely give any gas off the line. I found some fixes online and one happens to be replacing a clutch plate with one from a zx10r for $7.00, so here I sit with the part a manual and a bike! wondering if anyone has done this before or would possibly have some tech tips or possibly even step by step instruction. I am very mechanicly inclined just never done this before. I have a couple bits of info I have found but nothing that seems to be very clear about what exactly needs to take place. so far what I do know is to remove all the clutch plates down to the basket and then remove the thrust washer and spacer to gain the clearance for the new part... re install and hope for the best! I will continue to search but figure this may be a good starting point.
I am looking forward to meeting everyone and having a great riding season!
thank you for any and all input.
beer, lunch, or just someone to b.s. with awaits anyone who has done this and wouldn't mind standing over a shoulder teaching.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
Changing the clutch plates is a very easy job. I would suggest that you replace all of them, not just one with a Kawi part.

OUTLAWD
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
never done it on the gixxer....did it on a kawi and it was VERY straightforward with the service manual in hand

Wrider
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:50 PM
Changing the clutch plates is a very easy job. I would suggest that you replace all of them, not just one with a Kawi part.

Yup I'm with him. Otherwise you're just prolonging the short time you have left with your current clutch.

As for difficulty? Very easy.
*Soak plates in oil for 12-24 hours ahead of time*
Drain oil.
Remove clutch cover and clean gasket residue from both sides.
Unbolt clutch hub and remove plates.
Put new plates in IN ORDER.
Put new gasket on clutch cover.
Bolt down clutch cover using torqueing method in service manual.
Refill oil.

Done. Of course you'll have to break in your clutch afterwards, but hey that's the basics of it.

2wheeler4life
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:15 PM
sounds like a new clutch just may be in order! thanks for everything. I was able to get a nice ride in today and I think If I just get smarter about the throttle it may be just fine for the parade. I came from a 05 cbr1krr and was always able to slip the clutch of the line a quite a bit more. this thing is no joke for sure! once again thanks for all the help and advice.

2wheeler4life
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:17 PM
Yup I'm with him. Otherwise you're just prolonging the short time you have left with your current clutch.

As for difficulty? Very easy.
*Soak plates in oil for 12-24 hours ahead of time*
Drain oil.
Remove clutch cover and clean gasket residue from both sides.
Unbolt clutch hub and remove plates.
Put new plates in IN ORDER.
Put new gasket on clutch cover.
Bolt down clutch cover using torqueing method in service manual.
Refill oil.

Done. Of course you'll have to break in your clutch afterwards, but hey that's the basics of it.

when unbolting the clutch hub, Do I really need to buy the tool they recommend using to hold it while removing the bolt? can this tool be made?

2wheeler4life
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:57 PM
think I may have found a deal I am happy with although don't know many brands. anyone ever run a EBC clutch? It is a EBC SRK complete clutch set including springs for $190.00

Wrider
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 09:13 PM
EBC is good. And no you don't need to buy the special tool. Can be done in any of several ways. Doesn't take much torque, so put the bike in gear and undo them. You're putting less than 20 lbs of torque on each bolt (spec is 16.5 ft/lbs).