PDA

View Full Version : 88 hurricane 600, thoughts?

Nobody
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
So I'm talking to a guy about his 88 CBR 600, its in really great shape no major issues outside of a scuff on one fairing and faded paint. I'm interested in the bike, but worried that if something happens I'm going to be hunting endlessly for hard to find parts. What should I look out for on a bike that old, and am I wrong to think that would make a good daily rider?

salsashark
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
Paging Mr. Metalord to the Bike Tech lobby...

rybo
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Nothing wrong with the Hurricane

And frankly Honda is VERY good about supporting older motorcycles. We have a 1989 CB1 (way more rare than the Hurricane) and can easily order parts from any honda dealer for it. I've also owned NT650s (less unusual than the CB1 but way more unusual than a Hurricane) and had the same experience.

One thing about the 1st gen Hurricane is that it uses 16" wheels, so not many tire companies are "updating" tires to fit it. You'll be using tire technology that stopped progressing about 15 years ago. That being said, if it's a commuter and streetbike technology from 25 years ago is TOTALLY adequate.

Good, reliable and nowdays somewhat unique motorcycle. If the price is right.....

s

Nobody
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the input! For one with low miles and faded paint, what price range should I expect to see?

rybo
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
I would probably pay $1000-$1200 for a clean, usable rider.

More for a museum piece

Less for something that's been beat on (in fact I just wouldn't buy one of these)

Nobody
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:26 PM
Everything looks good, super low miles and the guy put brand new tires on it as well as adjusted everything. Only thing is faded paint and a scuff on one fairing that looks easily fixable. He wants 1500, might see if he's willing to drop the price a bit in lieu of paint. Again appreciate the info guys! Might be riding again as soon ad this weekend...

MetaLord 9
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:41 PM
First thing: Does it have a title? Not just a bill of sale, a Colorado title.
These bikes are EVERYWHERE but titles are much harder to come by.

Second: What's the condition of the bike? If it looks like hasn't been ridden in some time, it probably hasn't. That means you're gonna need to replace all the wear/rot parts, that is: tires, oil, filter, possibly fuel filter, chain, sprockets. If you don't know or can't tell, replace it. mentally plan to do this so you've got cash set aside.

Price: I've seen 'em anywhere from $400 to $3000, but the titled variety tend to start around $1000 and go up with condition & lower mileage.

Parts: They're everywhere. I've got two and a half in my garage and there are parts ALL OVER. The engines are damn near bullet proof and the only parts that are tough to replace tend to be the ones that don't wear out but get broken in a crash (i.e. the front fairing stay).

One thing you WILL want to check for is frame cracks. These bikes have a tendency to exhibit a cracked frame over time in very specific places. Read up on it here: http://www.cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57248

Parts bikes are pretty common so if there's a good amount of pieces that need replacing, you can usually snag a parts bike cheaper than it might be to buy them individually.

MetaLord 9
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
Good luck with the bike mang, if you need any Hurricane specific advice, feel free to shoot me a PM. I've rebuilt two of 'em and I've still got a bunch of parts.

Nobody
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 04:56 PM
Good luck with the bike mang, if you need any Hurricane specific advice, feel free to shoot me a PM. I've rebuilt two of 'em and I've still got a bunch of parts.

Thanks again for the info, I'm waiting for a call/email to find out when I can look at it. I'm very used to cbrs so I'm sure this will be a great bike for me. I'll keep you guys posted as soon as I see it in person!

Xtremjeepn
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
I had one back in 1993-1996. Put over 100,000 miles on it and it road fine when I sold it. Great little bike!

mdub
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:14 PM
wow over a hundred thousand on a motorcycle.

Xtremjeepn
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:18 PM
wow over a hundred thousand on a motorcycle.

Happens all the time. I put over 100k on my FZX700 too.

You just don't see it much here in the US because most of us have bikes as second vehicles and the climate is cold part of the year.

I have seen all sorts of bikes over 100k and some over 200k

Nobody
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:25 PM
Looking at it tomorrow morning, going to read up on frame issues when I get off work tonight!

Repsol a095
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:51 PM
Is this the bike: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2236364185.html ?

Nobody
Wed Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:52 PM
Is this the bike: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2236364185.html ?

Indeed!

Spooph
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 09:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZzhNy7Rdqk

Nobody
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 08:18 PM
No dice on that one, someone bought while I was at work. back to the drawing board lol.