PDA

View Full Version : Tire size

Sean
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 09:44 AM
Hey y'all,
Quick question. Can I change the size of the tire that I put on a rim? I know race tires do different heights, but this is for a street bike that is going to have more agressive tires for DS'ing. The tire size that the bike comes with is:

120/70-17
160/60-17

But there are no good DS tires for the 120/70-17. So can I try and fit a different size tire on there? What can go wrong? I don't think I can change the 120 or 17 numbers, but can I play with the 70 a little?

Thanks for the help. :up:

TFOGGuys
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 09:53 AM
Quick tire sizing tutorial:

120/70/17

120= section width in mm, measured at the tire's widest point, when mounted on the design rim width

70= section height, measured as a percentage of the width above, from the bead to the highest point of the tread

17= bead diameter of the rim

All of these measurements are +/- about 6%, so there are some variances between tire models.

So, a 120/70 will have a section height of 84mm +/-, a 110/80 will have a section height of 88mm, and a 130/60 will have a section height of 78mm.

You can usually find the permissible rim widths for a given tire on the tire manufacturer's website. The real limiting factor is the available room for the tire and the rim width.

Now depending on what kind of DSing you are planning on, I may be able to come up with something in the correct sizes

jbnwc
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 09:54 AM
Definitely. My last bike came stock with a 120/60/17 and every tire distributer I talked to suggested I go up to 120/70. I also had a 110/70 on it at one point and the handling wasn't dramatically different in any size.

bodhizafa
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 10:16 AM
Find out the rim width, then figure out what the thinnest tire you can put on is. Too skinny and it will come off the rim (lack of pressure against the rim to hold it in position) The rear on my GS is a 150 width but can go down to 140 no problem, some have even used 130 on the rim.

Or what Jim said :)

Sean
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 11:48 AM
Now depending on what kind of DSing you are planning on, I may be able to come up with something in the correct sizesAnd once again, TFOG always has the best answers and is willing to share info. Thanks Jim, you are a true value to the motorcycle community. :up:

What we are looking at is a Versys for Angela. Stock, the most agressive you can put on there is the Avon Distanzia. We aren't looking to put knobbies on it (although it would be nice to have the option) but something like the Mefo Explorers, Scorpions, or something of similar style. Thoughts?

TFOGGuys
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
Sean, look at the Pirelli MT60R, it's a bit more aggressive than the Distanzias, and available in the correct sizes.

Sean
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 12:52 PM
Sean, look at the Pirelli MT60R, it's a bit more aggressive than the Distanzias, and available in the correct sizes.Thanks Jim! That looks much more managable off on the dirt. If we decide to pull the trigger, I'll be giving you a call.