PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia question

ton-up-boy
Sat Mar 5th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Hi , gang...I just bought a 2001 RSVR. My problem is low speeds..up to 45 mph...the bike feels like it's wandering..:cussing:the Aprilia site says the front damper may be at fault , and to test it you remove it and see if that fixes it..if so the damper is "notched" in the center...?
so , yesterday i intender to remove it when i noticed it appeared to be loose...now I've never had a front damper on any of my bikes before so this is a new animal to me...anyway it looks as if the top securing bolt is not tight...and you can grab the damper and twist it slightly..wiggles on the bolt....my main 2 questions are , is the damper supposed to be tightened down all the way?:confused:

and does anyone with an Aprilia have any other ideas about this wandering?
the tires are new Dunlaps..tire pressure is o.k. thanks

UglyDogRacing
Sat Mar 5th, 2011, 10:40 AM
The damper is intended to wiggle on the bushings and have alot of play even when tightened down so it will move smoothly. Not sure exactly what the "wandering" you are experiencing is since my definition of it is pulling one direction or the other, but it doesnt sound like something the steering damper is causing. If you just had a new front tire put on as you say, I bet the wheel was not put on straight. Loosen all you pinch bolts on your front end, bounce the front end a few times, and tighten them back up.

ton-up-boy
Sat Mar 5th, 2011, 01:08 PM
UDR... maybe wandering is the wrong term....feels like it's shifting under me..at speed it goes away...but it's so distracting...not normal for a $17k bike. The both tires were put on by Fey Myers....so I hope they know how to mount a tire ....if the weather is bearable next thur -fri i may try to get it to the shop. This is the only bike out of 18 i've owned that scares me .
UDR..the other thing is weather the damper is adjusted all the way ,one way or the other, there is no effect when turning the bars....no resistance.

asp_125
Sat Mar 5th, 2011, 01:23 PM
The damper has no noticeable effect in slow turning of the bars. You will feel it work if you really jerk the bars, it's to slow down the oscillations in case of an impending tank slapper.

UglyDogRacing
Sat Mar 5th, 2011, 02:53 PM
The damper has no noticeable effect in slow turning of the bars. You will feel it work if you really jerk the bars, it's to slow down the oscillations in case of an impending tank slapper.

The Ohlins damper on the 2001 RSVR is a linear damper so it will slow the steering as you slow down the damping. The valving in the rotary damper's like the Scotts have high and low speed damping which will do what you describe.

UDR... maybe wandering is the wrong term....feels like it's shifting under me..at speed it goes away...but it's so distracting...not normal for a $17k bike. The both tires were put on by Fey Myers....so I hope they know how to mount a tire ....if the weather is bearable next thur -fri i may try to get it to the shop. This is the only bike out of 18 i've owned that scares me .
UDR..the other thing is weather the damper is adjusted all the way ,one way or the other, there is no effect when turning the bars....no resistance.

I don't know what shifting under you feels like either but it does not sound like your steering damper has anything to do with what you are experiencing. If this started occurring after you had the new tire put on, it means that there is something wrong with the tire or the wheel was not installed back on the bike correctly. Hard to diagnose without checking it out myself. I am a little familiar with the $17k 2001 RSVR so I could check it out if you are down this way.

OUTLAWD
Sat Mar 5th, 2011, 05:39 PM
is this happening all the time, or just on the highway? Some tires "follow" the grooves in the road more than others...

just a thought

brennahm
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Possible some tech put a 60 profile front tire on instead of a 70? Not sure it would be that noticeable but certainly has been known to happen.

Yes, you should be able to "wiggle" the damper a little due to the type of ends that allow it to adjust to different angles as you turn the front end.

khuebner250
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Are you talking about the apriliaforum from AF1 when you say 'aprilia site'. If so I would be inclinded to listen, especially to micah and kzmille if they have input on this situation.

steering damper issue
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220136&highlight=front+wobble

Here is what UDR was talking about. There is a tightening sequence as to not bind the front end.
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2597

Keith

sprtbkbabe
Fri Mar 11th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Are you talking about the apriliaforum from AF1 when you say 'aprilia site'. If so I would be inclinded to listen, especially to micah and kzmille if they have input on this situation.

steering damper issue
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220136&highlight=front+wobble

Here is what UDR was talking about. There is a tightening sequence as to not bind the front end.
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2597

Keith
:imwithstupid:

Or just call AF1 and they'll walk you through it