PDA

View Full Version : Fork spring spacer material?

OUTLAWD
Sat Mar 5th, 2011, 09:04 PM
finally picked up some proper fork springs for the Sprint...except the straight rate spings I got are ALOT shorter than the factory progressive springs, so I need new spacers that are ~8" long.

What do you guys use and where could I get it? exhaust tubing from the parts store? I have seen guys use PVC, but I'd probably rather use metal.

Thanks!

Repsol a095
Sat Mar 5th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Copper plumbing lines are the only think I can think of, but I would think that their would be something more professional than this.

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Mar 5th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't be afraid to use PVC. It's a compression load on a cylinder, doesn't get any more rigid than that.

OUTLAWD
Sat Mar 5th, 2011, 10:32 PM
its not that I'm afraid to use PVC...I know its more than strong enough...I just prefer working with metal when I have a choice...the local metal place I go to is closed tomorrow...I kinda wanted to get this thing buttoned back up, but I suppose I can wait til monday...or I'll just run to home depot and get some PVC

EDIT: crap...looks like i only have 5 and 7.5 wt fork oil, so I'm waiting til tuesday so I can run into the stealership

Wrider
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 12:09 AM
While true, metal = heavier = more unsprung weight.

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 07:14 AM
install on top of the spring and it would be sprung weight.

am out of 10w myself or I would have been happy to hook you up.

dirkterrell
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Dave, I've got a liter of 10W you can have, if its worth coming down here.

Dirk

Bueller
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I just cut mine out of 3/4" electrical metallic tubing (EMT). I use a tubing cutter to make the cuts square and no filings to worry about from a hack saw.

NUTZ
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Would gas pipe work? It's cheap, rigid and can get at Home Depot.

OUTLAWD
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 09:07 AM
EMT was in the back of my head as well...I'll run to the store and see what the best size options are.

and while I don't mind a little extra weight...black pipe would be way overkill

OUTLAWD
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 03:30 PM
found some stainless tubing I bought a while back...WIN!