PDA

View Full Version : Non-Canyon Twisties?

Vellos
Sun Mar 6th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Anyone know of some roads with good curves out in the front range? Want to get back in the corners without dealing with the cold and gravel up in the canyons. Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Bueller
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 06:04 AM
IMI

Mother Goose
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 07:00 AM
HPR

salsashark
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 07:10 AM
DTC

(and Meridian)

just watch out for those pesky GV/Centennial LEOs. :D

Swift
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 07:49 AM
DTC traffic is usually pretty annoying during the week days.

salsashark
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 07:51 AM
^^ pfffttt... I saw nothing stating a schedule :lol:

DTC/Meridian's pretty quiet and empty early on the weekends...

asp_125
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 07:59 AM
+1 HPR and IMI. Get your lean on without risking a ticket and pissing off the public.

OUTLAWD
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 08:44 AM
HTFU and deal with the cold and the gravel...riding in a tire track between ice and gravel will really teach you to hold your line and be smooth ;)

Mother Goose
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 09:11 AM
HTFU and deal with the cold and the gravel...riding in a tire track between ice and gravel will really teach you to hold your line and be smooth ;)
:up: And great for when you have to poop, cause the pucker factor will keep it in. :D

asp_125
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 09:25 AM

:up:

By the looks of some canyon reports, Deckers seems rideable, and until today Golden Gate, Hwy 6, and 7 were all rideable. Yes, HTFU.

Mother Goose
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 09:35 AM
He put his bike away for the winter, so I don't think there will be any HingTFU. Best bet is to wait till mid spring to get out. Turns in town just aren't as fun, plus there's traffic and old ladies crossing the street.

Zach929rr
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Half the reason to ride in the spring and summer is to harass women.

salsashark
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Half the reason to ride in the spring and summer is to harass women.

:lol: I have no idea why your comment reminded me of this!

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBGOQ7SsJrw)

Airreed
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 10:03 AM
During nice winter days I like to ride HWY 83(parker road) south then link into 105 North which merges into WHY85(santa fe).
There's no hair pin turns, but there are a few sweepers within the route.

Mother Goose
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 10:05 AM
And when we ride on Golden Gate last Wednesday, I was sweating when I got back to work. So it's not that bad out on some days.

Jim_Vess
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Riverdale Road

CaneZach
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 10:06 AM
During nice winter days I like to ride HWY 83(parker road) south then link into 105 North which merges into WHY85(santa fe).
There's no hair pin turns, but there are a few sweepers within the route.

Actually, there's the one a mile or so north of Palmer Lake that can take you by surprise.

Vellos
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I got my bike out in January, just been taking it to school and errands. Reason I don't want to risk the mountains is because if I crash early in the season I won't have the funds to fix it up and I'll miss out on the better parts of the season. I'll be at the track sooner than I'll be in the canyons though...

Anyway back to what I was asking. I'm having trouble finding DTC/Meridian on a map.

Ricky
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Riverdale Road

This!!! Riverdale is chill with good curves, and not too much traffic.

longrider
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Anyway back to what I was asking. I'm having trouble finding DTC/Meridian on a map.

DTC/Meridian are the names of the business parks, it is essentially the area east of I25 and south of I225.

Bueller
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Reason I don't want to risk the mountains is because if I crash early in the season I won't have the funds to fix it up and I'll miss out on the better parts of the season.

I think you need to ride with a different mindset :lol:

I never visualize crashing, I like to think about staying in one piece and I ride to do so. Crashing is not an option.

Vellos
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Crashing is not an option.

But it does happen, even when rider isn't at fault. The risk of it goes up while the fun factor goes down during the early/late season - simply isn't worth it to me. I don't worry about crashing mid-season when I'm having a blast.

I will be seeing you at the track though sometime this Spring. Can chase that lil 250 around, maybe Spooph will come out too! :)

Zach929rr
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 10:48 AM
:lol: I have no idea why your comment reminded me of this!

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBGOQ7SsJrw)

ohshit lolololol. I've never seen that before.

The only reason for you to crash on the street is if you are riding like a dick bag (bag of dicks).

salsashark
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 10:54 AM
OK... I was kidding about the DTC thing, but since it's been brought up...

There's no reason you can't have fun on some of these roads. Especially on the weekend. Down in Meridian, there are quite a few very empty streets. You don't need to be flying like your ass is on fire to have a good time on a bike.

Anyways, here's the area:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_WENF5AxFUtU/TXUanGI0TKI/AAAAAAAAL8s/0n6HYkxWw8k/s640/dtcmap.jpg

aerofaze
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 10:55 AM
From Castle Rock, take Gilbert St to where it turns into S. Lake Gulch, and that's got some fun sweepers before it links you back up to CO 83.

Even Wolfensberger Rd west of Castle Rock has a few good curves, but there's more traffic with all the houses back there. I usually take Wolfensberger if I decide to get off of CO 105 at that point.

MetaLord 9
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 10:58 AM
It's riding in the winter. I'm glad we can ride in the winter at all. If you want to ride hard, wait for summer.

Sully
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 11:08 AM
^^ pfffttt... I saw nothing stating a schedule :lol:

DTC/Meridian's pretty quiet and empty early on the weekends...

DTC/Meridian are the names of the business parks, it is essentially the area east of I25 and south of I225.

SILENCE!!!! :slap:

aerofaze
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Riverdale Road

Is this the haunted one? :crazy:

A search on Google results in sites that mention phantom dogs and other weirdness... which means I must check it out! :lol:

Vellos
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the responses. Riverdale looks good, and close to Boulder for a day ride. Might check out the ones south of Denver if I go with a friend.

Cap'n Crunch
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:11 PM
+1 on hwy 105. I've been riding that the last couple of weeks and the road is in pretty good shape - not much sand. Also, there is not much traffic on 105.

OUTLAWD
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:24 PM
the frontage road near NorCo euro has a nice set of esses that you could get knee down on

salsashark
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:27 PM
the frontage road near NorCo euro has a nice set of esses that you could get knee down on

Just be careful not to scare the Harley riders like I did... they spook easy! :lol:

Mother Goose
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Wadsworth and 6th Ave. :D

Vellos
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:38 PM

Not sure where that is. :confused:

Since your from Fort Collins do you know if the road around Horsetooth Reservoir is decent in March?

asp_125
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:43 PM
On ramp from eastbound Table Mesa onto Foothills northbound, and Foothills offramp to 119 south. :lol:

East Valmont Rd, north 63rd st, 51st street north to Niwot Rd

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:44 PM

A high probability to see LEO near the county park intersection and because of the shooting range north of there though. Still, it's a road I like to ride...

Note: I think it's a range but I only ever see it out of the corner of my eye.

OUTLAWD
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Not sure where that is. :confused:

Since your from Fort Collins do you know if the road around Horsetooth Reservoir is decent in March?

Right off exit 259.

I always take it easy on the Dam road (east side of the reservoir), because there are too many joggers, bikers, hikers, picnic-ers, etc. I haven't been up there yet, and the bike is down for a few more days, but I would guess that its still a bit sketchy. if its stops snowing early in the season, carter lake and pinewood might not be too bad either

BC14
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 04:40 PM
A high probability to see LEO near the county park intersection and because of the shooting range north of there though. Still, it's a road I like to ride...

Note: I think it's a range but I only ever see it out of the corner of my eye.

It IS a range, and please don't speed by there.... no reason....:p

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 05:25 PM
It IS a range, and please don't speed by there.... no reason....:p

Haha!

usmcab35
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 02:59 PM
yea riverdale is right by my house, but you dont need to speed there are some windy sections, and there sometimes are some random cops on there and and not sure if it is haunted but there are for sure some random animals ( raccoons, foxes, coyotes, deer, turkeys, dogs, cats... ) so you can stop by my house after to grill what every you hit lol. i ride it all the time, just not at night, to many animals..

rccarver
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Good off and on ramps near downtown. Northbound Speer to NB I-25, EB 6th to SB Kipling, SB Kipling to WB 6th etc. Lots of good right-hand sweepers (SB I-25 to EB 6th) not too many left-handers.