PDA

View Full Version : New tire thread; what to get?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Since some of the threads I found are older, I thought I'd post up. After the original B-Stones wore out back in '03, I tried the Metzler M1's. LOVED them, never felt as confident in a set of tires, but I was going thru a rear every 3,500mi or so, and usually getting 2 rear to a front. So, a couple years ago, I went with the M3's. Didn't feel quite as comfortable pushing them hard, especially in the cold season (mtn's), more the rear than the front, but I got about 6k out of the rear and so always changed the set at a time, so to me, even though the M3's are a little more $$, that slight little bit of confidence lost was worth the tradeoff.

Now it's time to get new tires, and there's the new M5 to look at, my usual M3, then there's the new Dunlop Quilifyer Q2 that people are raving about. The Q2 is about $38 more expensive for the set here where I usually get my tires (killer prices):
http://www.jdoqocy.com/image-3147433-10559669http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...NGR/Tires.aspx (http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3147433-10559669?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.motorcycle-superstore.com%2F1291%2FMNGR%2FTires.aspx)

But, my concern is if they're going to wear out on 3-4k miles, I'll stick with the M3's, they're a know, familiar, trusted tire for me. I know a guy that uses Pilot's, and tried the CT, but still got only 3-4K out of them and they were more pricey than the M3. Cost IS an issue. Also, I have a friend that sells Dunlop race tires at the tracks here (I'm running a set of Dunlop takeoffs he gave me), and he might be able to get me an even better deal on them than the Superstore.

Anyone with a 1k worn out a set of the Dunlops yet? I found I like the rounder profile of the M3's than the takeoffs I'm running because I don't like the way they seem to fall into the corner somewhat, but it may be they they're worn and that's what's causing that.

Thanks!

OUTLAWD
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 12:55 PM
round ones...preferably made of rubber...

when I was riding the 750 on the street I'd get 4.5k per front and 3k per rear if I was lucky, no matter what the brand

the take-offs are a taller 190/55 tire, and they are shot on the sides, so they will feel like they "fall" faster than a round profile tire. This is a feeling I prefer, the round profiles feel lazy to me. if you want a longer lasting tire, it is going to cost you, I put 8k on my pilot road 2's before they were shot, and they cost me ~$300, but they did not instill the confidence that the sportier tires did.

it depends how many miles you are putting in and how hard you want to push. the cheaper tire that wears out in half the time may not be the better choice in some cases.

For a rounder profile, maybe look into the Conti's as well, not sure what the prices are looking like lately as I just plan on running my own take-offs on the street this year.

Mother Goose
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Anyone with a 1k worn out a set of the Dunlops yet?
I have, but what is the question? :lol:

Cap'n Crunch
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Before you buy on line, you may want to check with the guys at 303 cycle. I stopped in this weekend and got a awesome price on a set of Q2's (better than what I was seeing on that website you posted). I've only put about 50 miles on them (in the cold), so I can't really speak of thier longevity, but the price was right.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I have, but what is the question? :lol:
Ah, I should have been more specific. :) Did you like them, and what sort of mileage did you get out of them on a 1k? Have you run them compared to the M3's?

THX

Mother Goose
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:24 PM
So I went back to see how many miles I've put on my tires. It's around 4k miles on this set (from closest gas fill up to gas fill up) since the end of August. I still have some tread on it, not enough to hit another canyon run though. Just enough to commute for the next month or so. Most of the riding was commuting, had 1 track day at HPR, A LOT of canyon rides (almost every nice weekend) and most of those were 2 up. Plus, I'm sure I could have more miles on them if I'd stop back it in, pulling into my apartments. :lol:

I've never run the M3s on this bike. All I've had are the 2CTs (hated it!) and the Q2s. Q2s, to me, are the best tire I've ever had.

konichd
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Metzeler has released the M3's again at a discounted price ($210 for a 120-190/55 set) and there are good prices on Q2's as well (225 for a 190/50 set or 229 for a 190-55 set).

If its cost and you like the M3's I would just grab another set of those since Metzeler has brought them back as a price alternative to the M5

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Before you buy on line, you may want to check with the guys at 303 cycle. I stopped in this weekend and got a awesome price on a set of Q2's (better than what I was seeing on that website you posted). I've only put about 50 miles on them (in the cold), so I can't really speak of thier longevity, but the price was right.
I'll check with 303, thanks. I usually buy from them and have for many years because I've NEVER seen a store beat the Superstore's price. I
m also gonna talk to Scer since he sells Dunlop race tires and see if he can't get me a deal on 'em too.

Mother Goose
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM
BTW, I'm on a 190/55 rear to help with turn in. :up:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Konichd, I wouldn't mind trying a set of the Q2's since the reviews have been good, but I haven't been able to find a price on them anywhere near what you quoted. Even the Superstore as I linked had the set at $254 if I remember correctly. The M3's were about $38 cheaper if I remember right. I don't mind paying a little more$$ if the mileage is the same or close, but if it's going to be 4k on the rear, I'll have to just get the M3's.

Has anyone tried the new M5's? THOSE look interesting, and if the compound is similar to the M3, you might even get a little more mileage as there is nothing but a solid band of rubber in the center. And, since I really don't ride in the rain, that's not really an issue for me.

Mother Goose
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Konichd, I wouldn't mind trying a set of the Q2's since the reviews have been good, but I haven't been able to find a price on them anywhere near what you quoted. Even the Superstore as I linked had the set at $254 if I remember correctly. The M3's were about $38 cheaper if I remember right. I don't mind paying a little more$$ if the mileage is the same or close, but if it's going to be 4k on the rear, I'll have to just get the M3's.
Give the Q2s a try first. If you don't like them, I'll buy them off you. ;)

Seriously, best tire I've ever had, and I'm sure I put more use to mine than the normal person, being 2 up and hitting the canyons as much as I do. So I'd bet you can get more mileage out of them. I'm just hard on tires.

Yes, I said hard on.

Mother Goose
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Plus, I'd say being confident in your tires is worth the extra $38.

Bueller
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 01:57 PM
http://epicmotosports.com/dunlopq2sportmaxdiscountedsets.aspx

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Motomummy has a great price on 'em: $222 for the 190/55 and 120/70 set.
https://www.motomummy.com/store/product.php?productid=18416&cat=260&page=1

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Wow, Bueller nailed it, his link had the cheapest so far. Nice! Thanks! If I decide to go with the Q2's, I'll definately give them the business.

OUTLAWD
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 03:21 PM
don't forget the extra $40-70 to mount em + tax ;)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 04:13 PM
don't forget the extra $40-70 to mount em + tax ;)
Well, depending on where I get 'em, there is no tax, and I've got a friend or 2 who's got a nice tire changing and balancing setup.

KX450Racer
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 04:57 PM
We have the q2 sets of 190/50+ 120/70-17 for $209.95. Thanks

V4whore
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure how you're getting 6k on the M3's, if I could duplicate that I would never buy another brand; great fall-in (prefer them new, before they get rounded off), great grip and very confidence inspiring. As it is, I'm getting about 3.2k on the rear and was considering a change to the Q2's to see if the dual compound will get me another 1500 miles. Only thing holding me back is that I'm afraid the Q2's will be too rounded and slower to turn in.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure how you're getting 6k on the M3's, if I could duplicate that I would never buy another brand; great fall-in (prefer them new, before they get rounded off), great grip and very confidence inspiring. As it is, I'm getting about 3.2k on the rear and was considering a change to the Q2's to see if the dual compound will get me another 1500 miles. Only thing holding me back is that I'm afraid the Q2's will be too rounded and slower to turn in.
Ive been running them for years now and have gotten a low of 4,500 miles on a rear to 6k, usually at least 5k on one. The M1's I was going thru at a little over 3k.

V4whore
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 07:08 PM
^^ That's damn good for M3's -almost sport-touring- I'd just stay with them. What are you riding, Monkey?

jbnwc
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Plus, I'd say being confident in your tires is worth the extra $38.

...this

2isbetterthan4
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I just picked up a set of the Bridgestone Battlax BT0-16's for the CBR 900rr and I paid around $210.00 with shipping. I have only been able to get out and ride on them a couple times this year but I have put a couple hundered miles on them, and so far I absolutely LOVE them! The rear is a 5 compound tire and the front is 3, I believe... They have a hard center for longer life with commuting and conservative riding but the tire gets softer towards the sides and I think they have preformed very well in the few twisties I have been fortunate to ride this season. I would buy these tires again in a heartbeat... I picked them up off Ebay, and the seller was JC Motors.... Good luck with your purchase!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 11:30 PM
^^ That's damn good for M3's -almost sport-touring- I'd just stay with them. What are you riding, Monkey?
I've got an '01 Gixxer 1k I bought new in OH, with almost 53k miles now. I don't race, but I'm definately not easy on 'er. ;)

I'm pretty happy with the M3's, and I can get a set for about $220 online (not tax/shipping). If the Q2's will give comarable mileage, or even a little less, I'd probably try them as people really seem to like them. But, if they're good for only 3,500 like the M1's were, I'll stick with the M3's. I want to do some sport-touring (1k mile-2k mile weekend trips) again this summer, and running at 90 for hundreds of miles at a time kinda eats the tires up. :)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 11:32 PM
...this

I'm confident in the M3's, enough to ride hard on 'em solo on unfamiliar tight mountain roads, almost 700 miles from home, just not quite as much as the M1's which seemed a little stickier (and wore out a lot faster).

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 11:34 PM
I just picked up a set of the Bridgestone Battlax BT0-16's for the CBR 900rr and I paid around $210.00 with shipping. I have only been able to get out and ride on them a couple times this year but I have put a couple hundered miles on them, and so far I absolutely LOVE them! The rear is a 5 compound tire and the front is 3, I believe... They have a hard center for longer life with commuting and conservative riding but the tire gets softer towards the sides and I think they have preformed very well in the few twisties I have been fortunate to ride this season. I would buy these tires again in a heartbeat... I picked them up off Ebay, and the seller was JC Motors.... Good luck with your purchase!
I knew a guy in ID that picked up a set of those, but he was a total rookie and couldn't ride anywhere near hard enough on his 1K to trust his opinion. Glad you like 'em, I'd be curious to hear what kind of mileage you get out of them and how you like them when the real season starts and you put some real miles on them.

TransNone13
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I don't know if anyone is interested. But I purchased some 120/70-190/55 Michelin Pilot Road 3's. You know, the brand new ones (got in on the first shipment). I was looking for longevity and all weather performance. They'll be mounted to a CBR1000RR for spirited riding and commuting. Would be more than happy to share my results when the time comes.

GuitarX
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Hey Frank, I've been going through a similar exercise. The Q2 seems to be a fantastic choice these days. I'm not a Bridgestone fan but the BT-016 has been getting great reviews as well.

This article might help a bit, as the test riders are definitely "fast guys". As much as they like the Bridgestones, check out the lap times at the end. The Dunlop gets much better times.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/8290/Motorcycle-Article/Bridgestone-Battlax-BT-016-Tire-Comparison-Review.aspx

This is of course a traction test on a track. They're not going for mileage so the article is not as helpful there. Still interesting though.

That first link kind of comes in the middle of the full article. Here is the link to the beginning:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/8285/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Street-Motorcycle-Tire-Comparison.aspx

GuitarX
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I don't know if anyone is interested. But I purchased some 120/70-190/55 Michelin Pilot Road 3's. You know, the brand new ones (got in on the first shipment). I was looking for longevity and all weather performance. They'll be mounted to a CBR1000RR for spirited riding and commuting. Would be more than happy to share my results when the time comes.

Please do! I'm guessing these will be the next tires on my VFR. I currently have the Road 2s and love 'em.

2isbetterthan4
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I knew a guy in ID that picked up a set of those, but he was a total rookie and couldn't ride anywhere near hard enough on his 1K to trust his opinion. Glad you like 'em, I'd be curious to hear what kind of mileage you get out of them and how you like them when the real season starts and you put some real miles on them.

I'll definitely keep you and everyone else posted as to the mileage and performance I get out of them once I can get out and really ride!

TransNone13
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Please do! I'm guessing these will be the next tires on my VFR. I currently have the Road 2s and love 'em.

How was the handling and life span of the tires?

dirkterrell
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 07:16 AM

Yes. I've been running the PR2's for a while now and like them. They're good in the rain and the PR3's are supposed to be even better.

Dirk

GuitarX
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 08:25 AM

I have close to 3k on my current set and they barely show any wear. I run the VFR like a sportbike, doing mostly canyon runs. I use them from edge to edge which I'm sure has more to do with their profile than my Rossi-like skill set. :roll:

The Road 2s give me a lot of confidence - they're great on sandy roads, wet roads, and have great grip in the dry. The VFR is obviously a slightly heavier "sportbike" compared with super sports and the Road 2s make it feel very planted in the corners. Once you set your line they don't move around a lot. I don't know how they'd feel on a super sport but I love 'em on the Viffer.

As far as tire pressures I run the recommended 36F/42R in the Honda manual. This seems to give me all the grip I need with plenty of tread life. I haven't yet found the need to start screwing with that.

Mother Goose
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 08:35 AM
As far as tire pressures I run the recommended 36F/42R in the Honda manual. This seems to give me all the grip I need with plenty of tread life. I haven't yet found the need to start screwing with that.
Don't follow the manual on tire pressures. Honda used those for their stock tire, and once you change that, you need to follow the tire manufacturer's recommended pressures.

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 10:04 AM

I got 8k out of my PR2's. I had them slip a few times on the street, and at IMI in pretty much every turn. Good for commuting and the occasional canyon run, but I just didn't have the confidence in them in the twisties.

Don't follow the manual on tire pressures. Honda used those for their stock tire, and once you change that, you need to follow the tire manufacturer's recommended pressures.

:horse: On a bike that is heavier, running a higher pressure (36/42) will give you substantially longer tire life...especially on the superslab. If I ran 36/36, or lower, on the triumph, I'd be getting 4-5k out of sport touring tires, instead of 8-10k. Tire pressures to me are a more personal preference sort of thing, as long as you are in the operating range of the tire

GuitarX
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I got 8k out of my PR2's. I had them slip a few times on the street, and at IMI in pretty much every turn. Good for commuting and the occasional canyon run, but I just didn't have the confidence in them in the twisties.

Wow, I couldn't disagree with this assessment more. Obviously the Road 2 is not a racetrack tire so expecting it to perform like pure sport rubber at IMI wouldn't make sense anyway. But as for confidence in the canyons, they do a fantastic job. Much better than you would expect from a tire that's thought of as a sport-touring tire. Outlawd, I'm curious - what type of bike do you ride? Maybe it's just not a good match for the Road series? The VFR seems to do really well with this tire in the twisties and maybe that's why our opinions differ. Or maybe we just ride much differently.

I guess the problem with asking people for their opinion on tires is that everyone has their own preference as to feel, everyone has a different riding style, and we're all on different bikes. You may just have to try a few different tires and make up your own mind before settling in on your favorite. I found my favorite for the VFR and will be sticking with Michelin Roads in the future.

As for the Speed Triple which is more twitchy in its handling characteristics, I've been using the Pilot Powers and haven't been quite as happy (although I do like them a lot). I'm for sure going to try the Q2s on that bike next. If I don't like them, I'll try something different the next time. I'll use people's opinions to guide my choices, but not make them for me. Only I know what tire feels best to me on a particular bike.

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Wow, I couldn't disagree with this assessment more. Obviously the Road 2 is not a racetrack tire so expecting it to perform like pure sport rubber at IMI wouldn't make sense anyway. But as for confidence in the canyons, they do a fantastic job. Much better than you would expect from a tire that's thought of as a sport-touring tire. Outlawd, I'm curious - what type of bike do you ride? Maybe it's just not a good match for the Road series? The VFR seems to do really well with this tire in the twisties and maybe that's why our opinions differ. Or maybe we just ride much differently.

It was on my Triumph Sprint ST, aside from the viffer, probably the direct market for the tire. I did not expect to drag knee with the tires, just be able to hold their own. When they were relatively new I ran up and down 7 solo, about as fast as I want to ride on the street, and the front was loosing grip, with relatively little warning. At IMI I was running slower than I was on my ninja 250...so its not like I was pushing any limits.

When I was running PP 2CT's, I got 6k out of the set (including 2 trackdays), I only got 8k out of the Road 2's, and the regular Roads, I did a bunch of burnouts to give me an excuse to take them off. I would much rather take the hit on mileage and run a cheaper tire that I have more confidence in. The only other sport touring tire I've run was the Conti Road Attack, and for the same mileage as the Road 2's, I'd have to say they had a much better feel, and only had a tendency to overheat the rear on hot days (running on/off ramps in NJ :))

dirkterrell
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 11:43 AM
It was on my Triumph Sprint ST, aside from the viffer, probably the direct market for the tire. I did not expect to drag knee with the tires, just be able to hold their own. When they were relatively new I ran up and down 7 solo, about as fast as I want to ride on the street, and the front was loosing grip, with relatively little warning.

Interesting. I've never had the PR2's break loose and I have occasionally done Deckers runs with unslow guys on literbikes without incident. I even had it over on the edge and went through the VTEC transition on one of those fast sweepers without so much as a slip. And I've gone through 7 a few times at a reasonably quick clip sans any tire-related excitement (now, wind gusts...).

I guess we can only conclude that the VFR is a superior machine. :twisted:

Dirk

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I'm not saying they were junk, but I just lacked the confidence I had in the sportier tires.

I guess we can only conclude that the VFR is a superior machine. :twisted:

Dirk

clearly...I have seen the light! 8)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Hey mods, how about a sticky on tires? a thread where people can list what bike they have, their size and weight, how and what type of riding they do on these tires, their opinions and observations, and mileage? I think that we could create a great database here!

Bueller
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I had PR2's on the TLS and I rode it as hard on the street as I ride anything else, I took them to PMI and as I pushed harder and harder, they finally slid the rear powering out of 7, That's was as far as I pushed her. They were surprisingly adequate. On general I buy the higher performance tires and really don't worry about the longevity, as I tend to abuse.
I buy whatever is on sale for the best deal at the time I am shopping. Personally I don't feel much difference in tires, usually it's a huge improvement just to ride on new rubber compared to old shagged out tires that I have gotten used to. Of course it's going to turn in easier and stick like glue and all the other buzz phrases everyone uses when the get new shoes :idea:

drago52
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I had PR2s on my old VFR also. I cut the rear loose once at IMI, but it was towards the end of a longer session and I got on the gas just a little too hard too early. I had no problem with knee dragging angles with PR2s. I'd like to try the PR3s, but they're about 15-20% more expensive than PR2s and I doubt I'll get 15% more tire life. The PR2s have worked great for me. Very confident in wet and sandy conditions with these tires.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Hey Frank, I've been going through a similar exercise. The Q2 seems to be a fantastic choice these days. I'm not a Bridgestone fan but the BT-016 has been getting great reviews as well.

This article might help a bit, as the test riders are definitely "fast guys". As much as they like the Bridgestones, check out the lap times at the end. The Dunlop gets much better times.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/8290/Motorcycle-Article/Bridgestone-Battlax-BT-016-Tire-Comparison-Review.aspx

This is of course a traction test on a track. They're not going for mileage so the article is not as helpful there. Still interesting though.

That first link kind of comes in the middle of the full article. Here is the link to the beginning:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/8285/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Street-Motorcycle-Tire-Comparison.aspx
Nice! Thanks Gary! Yep, they really seem like a good tire for the $$. If the mileage is good, if not quite what I'm getting with the M3's, I might just give 'em a spin.

Mother Goose
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 02:32 PM
:horse: On a bike that is heavier, running a higher pressure (36/42) will give you substantially longer tire life...especially on the superslab. If I ran 36/36, or lower, on the triumph, I'd be getting 4-5k out of sport touring tires, instead of 8-10k. Tire pressures to me are a more personal preference sort of thing, as long as you are in the operating range of the tire
I have 3 sets of pressures from Scer, 1 for street, 1 for canyons and then a range for track depending on air temps. I know that a higher pressure can give you better mileage, but it's not always a good thing, especially if you're 10lbs over what the tire manufacturer recommends.

Mother Goose
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Hey mods, how about a sticky on tires? a thread where people can list what bike they have, their size and weight, how and what type of riding they do on these tires, their opinions and observations, and mileage? I think that we could create a great database here!
People's riding habits are different than the next, plus if you are checking your tire pressures at least once a week. Kind of hard to get a good feel for mileage and such with all those different factors. I could probably get 10k out of these tires if I never hit the canyons, never went to the track, or overall pussy footed around town. But I don't, so my mileage may be different than the next. I'll start one, but I'm just saying that it won't be very accurate.= for what you may be looking for.

Mother Goose
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 02:44 PM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?p=547409#post547409

TFOGGuys
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I had PR2s on my old VFR also. I cut the rear loose once at IMI, but it was towards the end of a longer session and I got on the gas just a little too hard too early. I had no problem with knee dragging angles with PR2s. I'd like to try the PR3s, but they're about 15-20% more expensive than PR2s and I doubt I'll get 15% more tire life. The PR2s have worked great for me. Very confident in wet and sandy conditions with these tires.

Actually, PR3s are only about $42 higher per set than the PR2s currently, and still pretty reasonable(120/180 set is $273.98 before tax and labor). I got 19600 miles out of my first set of PR2s on the FZ1, and the second set looks to be wearing similarly. The big advantages of the PR3 over the PR2 are better wet performance (especially at slight to moderate lean angles, (allegedly) longer life on terms of 15%, and the softer portion of the tread on the front tire is wider, so they are more confidence inspiring at mid lean. I agree that they offer more performance than can be responsibly be used on the street.

drago52
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 03:02 PM
yep, 42$ higher than PRs = 18% price increase. Thats amazing that you got 19,600 miles on your PR2s. Think you can get 23,100 miles out of PR3s?

Airreed
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Wicky,
can we have a what's the best oil for my bike thread?8)

Mother Goose
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Wicky,
can we have a what's the best oil for my bike thread?8)
Pretty much the same discussion. :lol: Everyone has their preferences. We should do a chain lube vs. WD-40 thread too. :poo:

asp_125
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM
... We should do a chain lube vs. WD-40 thread too. :poo:

Personal lubricants?

usmcab35
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 03:30 PM
i got the michelin pilot power 2ct's on my busa, i really love them they keep me planted anywhere i go and seem to last quite well. i had battlax tire on my zx7 and there were nice but didnt seem to last to long.

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Pretty much the same discussion. :lol: Everyone has their preferences. We should do a chain lube vs. WD-40 thread too. :poo:

I use WD to clean it, then lube it with lube...WD eats the grease out of the rollers and deteriorated the o (or x) rings ;)

that said...I lightly use WD on the race bike since it doesn't see the elements...

Mother Goose
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I use WD to clean it, then lube it with lube...WD eats the grease out of the rollers and deteriorated the o (or x) rings ;)

that said...I lightly use WD on the race bike since it doesn't see the elements...
There's a guy that put almost 20k miles on 1 chain, using WD-40 only. ;)

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 03:57 PM
replaced mine at 28k, still well within its "stretch" limits 8)

Wicky, can you add a Chicken Strip size: topic in the tire sticky? :p

Mother Goose
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 04:05 PM
replaced mine at 28k, still well within its "stretch" limits 8)

Wicky, can you add a Chicken Strip size: topic in the tire sticky? :p
His was on an R1. 8)

:spit: I probably should do that....

TFOGGuys
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 04:10 PM
yep, 42$ higher than PRs = 18% price increase. Thats amazing that you got 19,600 miles on your PR2s. Think you can get 23,100 miles out of PR3s?

I'll let you know in about 12000 miles... :lol:

Sean
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Wicky, can you add a Chicken Strip size: topic in the tire sticky? :pDon't worry, you would win. You always have the biggest chicken strips. :loser:

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Don't worry, you would win. You always have the biggest chicken strips. :loser:

I do...on the race bike

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 07:02 PM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?p=547409#post547409
Awesome! Great start! Yes, people's weight and riding habits might vary, but that's actually a good thing for us. Can't have too much info! This way people will know who used what tires, and how they felt about them, in an easy-to-find central place, instead of trying to surf the 'net for comparo's. AND, I think if we find good comparo's, we should link 'em up here too. I mean, tires are the most commonly replaced wear item, right, so this thread makes good sense. Thanks for being the first to take the initiative on this!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Personal lubricants?
For a true gearhead, WD-40 IS a personal lubricant! :)

spideyrdr
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I love this forum for the simple reasons that:
a) this didn't turn into a fanboi pissing match
b) there didn't seem to be any discussion about which tire produces the most smoke!

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 08:55 PM
start in second gear...they all will smoke :devil1:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Mar 18th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Ordered new Metzeler M3's todayfor $196.18 from The Motorcycle Superstore. Should be here Thursday. Woot! Best deal on tires I've ever gotten. Wanted to try the new Q2's, but I've recently heard too many negatives on their cold performance and lack of grip/predicability. Going with a trusted and proven performer, for a great price, and trying the new 190/55 size instead of the 190/50.