PDA

View Full Version : 954rr oil change

neal
Fri Aug 8th, 2003, 10:23 AM
anyone know a trustworthy shop that isn't too expensive for my first oil change?

Hoopty
Fri Aug 8th, 2003, 10:38 AM
TFOG!!!! 3032162400, ask for Scott. Out of curiosity, why are you taking it to a shop for an oil change? :? All it takes is to remove drain plug, remove filter, replace with new filter, tighten drain plug, fill with oil.

neal
Fri Aug 8th, 2003, 10:46 AM
and a torque wrench, frame stand, oil pan, someplace to dispose of the oil... all stuff I plan to buy eventually, but not right now. If the oil change is $60 or less I'll pay for it, if its more I'll go shoppnig.

Anonymous
Fri Aug 8th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Shit I'll do it for $30 and a 12 pack of beer. Think about it...

neal
Fri Aug 8th, 2003, 11:19 AM
is that domestic beer???

Anonymous
Fri Aug 8th, 2003, 11:36 AM
The best mechanics choose Guinness. :up:

That price is approx. depending on what oil you want (Honda oil would be fine) and filter, if it's less I'll charge you less. The beer is for my time. :) However I can have you done at my house in 15 minutes probably... No sense paying a stealership to do it and take all day.

FZRguy
Fri Aug 8th, 2003, 09:56 PM
I'll do it for $20...and a big jug of Gatorade :D

FZRguy
Fri Aug 8th, 2003, 10:12 PM
And if you rather not suck up to one of us, try Mark's Motorcycle Repair at 2331 W Hampden Av #182 in Englewood (just west of Santa Fe). He's a good guy and won't rip you off. Phone is 303-761-3273.

Anonymous
Sat Aug 9th, 2003, 12:43 PM
We got the change done. :up: Materials came out to $30 exactly for a new filter, plug washer, and 1-gallon jug of Silkolene street oil (synthetic blend) in case anyone was wondering what a 954RR costs materials-wise.

I also discovered that since buying my superhawk, I REALLY don't miss full-faired bikes! :o I like that I can just unscrew two bolts and take off the filter, no fuss. Here is was, unscrew 14 bolts, take off the ram air tubes, unscrew two more bolts, mess with those plastic fasteners, drain the oil, cover the header in rags and try to get the filter off; drain wrench would not pass behind the header, so get out the pipe wrench and hope we don't puncture the sucker. Get off filter, wipe up oil all over the header so it doesn't burn off and smell, then reverse that entire process.

Wasn't a big deal really, I just think I'm spoiled working on the superchicken (except in a couple cases) since it's all exposed and easy to get to.

neal
Sat Aug 9th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Thanks again for helping me out there, the bike feels so much smoother now :)

Note to self, make the first oil change at 600 miles - not 1300!!

thunderseye
Sat Aug 9th, 2003, 02:52 PM
well shoot ralph since you had soo much fun doing his 954 maybe next time mine is up there again which is pretty soon actually. you can do mine