PDA

View Full Version : learn to wheelie 2011

drago52
Mon Mar 7th, 2011, 10:15 PM
One of the things on my list of "to do" accomplishments for 2011 is to learn how to wheelie. I have two bikes, a 2006 buell ulysses (v-twin, 100hp, 85?lbs torque I think) and a 2007 kawi zx6r. I can do sit down pedaling wheelies on my mountain bike for 10-15 seconds. I know where the balance point is and I just need a little more practice before I can wheelie all day long.

I'm not looking to learn stand up wheelies or anything monstrous. I've watched a lot of videos on "how to wheelie" and I can get my kawi's wheel just a few inches off the ground and the buell's wheel up a foot easily. Problem is that I know I need to commit more (i.e. rev higher before slipping out he clutch) to get a bigger wheelie and to even come close to a balance point. Which bike would I be better learning/practicing on?

thx

Vellos
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 12:13 AM
We have the same bike (zx6r) and I'm looking to learn myself. Would you like to practice together sometime?

BlueRanger
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Can I Join!!!! :slappers:

Bueller
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 06:08 AM
The kawi, that way when you loop it, it'll be easier and cheaper to fix. :lol:
seriously the kawi is going to be more suited to one wheel antics. Second gear clutch ups. I only really do second gear power shift wheelies on my XB9.

MetaLord 9
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Stock gearing on the Ninja makes me think it'd be difficult to do at low RPM's, but I'm far from an expert on this. Carry on.

[bookmarked thread]

Mother Goose
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 08:12 AM
The thread right under yours is a good place to start..... http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38205

drago52
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 08:39 AM
yep, I've read that thread, but it doesn't have much advice on which of the two bikes is better suited to learn wheelies on. I've seen the excellent MCN video as well, but still looking for opinions. My ninja has a +2 in the rear. Vellos, I'd definitely be interested in learning with someone else. BlueRanger, can't tell if you are joking or not. I won't be messing around with wheelies until it's warm enough to wear all my leathers, so that's probably a month out.

Mother Goose
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 08:44 AM
A couple of us have put on a wheelie school in the past. But most of the proving grounds have been shut down (constant police presence). But, it's been a few years since I've been really into that scene. Dlish would be a good person to ask (in a PM) where a good spot is that you could be at for a half day and not have to worry about cops.

Honestly, it would be easiest to learn on the bike that you're most comfortable on. I could teach you how to do it on the Kawi, because I'm familiar with that type of bike, but not the Buell, since I've never ridden one, and don't know how they act.

Sean
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Ryan, I'm in with ya. I've always wanted to get the front tire up (on purpose). I feel as if it's another aspect of learning to control the bike.

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I can't get it up either...:puppy:

mdub
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 10:34 AM
i love popping wheelies.....I dont do it too often but once a while. just have to really torque that throttle. that will be one of the first feeling you would have with your bike on it's capability.

Sean
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I can't get it up either...:puppy:
Dave, wrong thread. We're talking about motorcycles in this one. Don't worry buddy, you'l get your confidence back. :up:

bulldog
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 11:02 AM
A couple of us have put on a wheelie school in the past. But most of the proving grounds have been shut down (constant police presence). But, it's been a few years since I've been really into that scene. Dlish would be a good person to ask (in a PM) where a good spot is that you could be at for a half day and not have to worry about cops.

Honestly, it would be easiest to learn on the bike that you're most comfortable on. I could teach you how to do it on the Kawi, because I'm familiar with that type of bike, but not the Buell, since I've never ridden one, and don't know how they act. You forgot to tell him to watch out for potholes/bad roads when setting down a wheelie :lol: an old Wicky wheelie story

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 11:07 AM
a thread about motorcycles?

on CSC?

nahhh

MetaLord 9
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 11:18 AM
^^Nope, it's a thread about hooliganism. :D

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 11:45 AM
ahh...religion, that makes more sense

drago52
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 11:47 AM
^^Nope, it's a thread about hooliganism. :D

indeed

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I just want to be able to wheelie with the bags on

http://www.boostisgood.com/sprintst/wheelie.jpg

Mother Goose
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 12:21 PM
You forgot to tell him to watch out for potholes/bad roads when setting down a wheelie :lol: an old Wicky wheelie story
Of course they repave the road a month after that. :banghead:

Megan
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 12:24 PM
The Kawi

http://www.stuntbums.com/Articles/134/introduction-to-idle-wheelies

thaitanic
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 12:34 PM
start with ZX6 much easier to learn then V-twin. start with 1st gear clutch wheelies than 2nd gear. it might not work for you, but my R1 was easy to learn clutch wheelies. go slow, and you can actually go good distance on your 1st day.

longrider
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 12:53 PM
or you can get this:

http://wheelieteach.com/ :) :) :)

salsashark
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Or maybe hire the Yut Ughhh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4F94DnATY) guy?! :lol:

drago52
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 01:57 PM
this is all I really want. is that too much to ask?

DeeStylez
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Honestly I would test out the good ol' wheelie machine :)
YouTube - Wheelie Machine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqGsIcGqHUE)

vtr100fguy
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 06:59 PM
im game to work on them wheelie skills let me know when and where! im sure when its a little warmer ill be ready to go.

Vellos
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 11:01 PM
this is all I really want. is that too much to ask?

Same for me... but with more girls and less dudes. :cheers:

Monster
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I have seen some dudes kill it on both the kawi and the buell but at the end of the day the buell had an aweful oil leak. just my 1.5 cents....Go Kawi

drago52
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 07:47 PM
if the weather is good, I may try to get some practice in on Sunday. got a couple ideas for locations

Monster
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I might be able to go with you on my cheater bike later on sunday.

vort3xr6
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 09:43 PM
If anybody seriously wants to learn wheelies, find a spot and I will show up and at least pass along everything I know about them. I don't claim to be an expert and I won't tell you to go "yugh ughhh". I don't have my crf 50 anymore, but I can easily get you started on the right path learning how to wheelie YOUR bike.

I used to do parking lot stunting and know at least enough to teach some people the basics.

MY credentials.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m275/VoRt3Xr6/CIMG2709Medium.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m275/VoRt3Xr6/CIMG3242Medium.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m275/VoRt3Xr6/CIMG3281Small.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m275/VoRt3Xr6/CIMG3266Medium.jpg

http://youtu.be/T-ZiBegppp4

Vellos
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 10:19 PM
:bow:

MY credentials.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m275/VoRt3Xr6/CIMG3266Medium.jpg

Spring break? :)

drago52
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 10:33 PM
If anybody seriously wants to learn wheelies, find a spot and I will show up and at least pass along everything I know about them. I don't claim to be an expert and I won't tell you to go "yugh ughhh". I don't have my crf 50 anymore, but I can easily get you started on the right path learning how to wheelie YOUR bike.

Sweet. Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you when I'm interested in heading out. It will definitely be easier to learn with an experienced rider telling me what I'm doing wrong and what I'm doing right. I've got a couple spots in mind right now, so I may check them out this sunday to see if it would draw any attention.

OUTLAWD
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 12:05 AM
MY credentials.

:squid:

Monster
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 08:24 AM
WARNING!! Wheelies are dangerous and Highly addictive, they should only be performed by those who have a bike, a bike they are willing to put money into, Have a drivers license that they are willing to lose, likes being referred to as mary round lips in the slammer. Please do not try this at home because pavement works better. Please only perform stunts at your own risk...or at the risk of someone like you. Thank you

navajowalks
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 09:30 AM
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu50/navajowalks/TueMar09090418AmericaDenver2010-3.jpg

Id say the kawi.... have stunted the same bike for the last two years, hit me up with any questions on setting it up... the kawi will be more forgiving and cost less to fix. Definatly start there...

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu50/navajowalks/IMG_20110222_204712.jpg
I do also have a used sick innovations crash cage for sale if you want to protect your baby a lil bit....

I'm down in the springs but come up north often.... there are people out riding all weekend every weekend....

drago52
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Id say the kawi.... have stunted the same bike for the last two years, hit me up with any questions on setting it up... the kawi will be more forgiving and cost less to fix. Definatly start there...

what's the optimal learning speed to slip the clutch in first gear? I've got +2 on the rear. also is it better to accelerate prior to slipping the clutch, or just to cruise at a constant speed, pull in the clutch, open the throttle, then slip it out?

vtr100fguy
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 12:02 PM
????? DO they make those cages for a super chicken ??? (superhawk 996 its a v twin) I can pullem but i want to ride em I am well aware of the risk involved with stunten my bike and wheeling to take the chance to learn and take my ridding ability up a notch.

longrider
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Racing 905 makes one for the super chicken

http://racing905.com/armor.html

vort3xr6
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 12:59 PM
what's the optimal learning speed to slip the clutch in first gear? I've got +2 on the rear. also is it better to accelerate prior to slipping the clutch, or just to cruise at a constant speed, pull in the clutch, open the throttle, then slip it out?

I would stay start at around 25 mph. Work on just getting the wheel barely off the ground and riding it out. Don't float your valves by hitting your rev limiter. Just practice getting the wheel up a little bit at a time. Warning: you will definitely look like a squid doing it, but thats how to practice.

Don't just cover the rear brake. USE IT. Practice bringing the wheel up and gently hitting the rear brake while keeping on the throttle to bring the wheel down. The rear brake is the only thing that will save your ass during a loopout.

drago52
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I would stay start at around 25 mph. Work on just getting the wheel barely off the ground and riding it out. Don't float your valves by hitting your rev limiter. Just practice getting the wheel up a little bit at a time. Warning: you will definitely look like a squid doing it, but thats how to practice.

Don't just cover the rear brake. USE IT. Practice bringing the wheel up and gently hitting the rear brake while keeping on the throttle to bring the wheel down. The rear brake is the only thing that will save your ass during a loopout.

Thanks Brad. Great tips. I know I'm going to look like a squid and I'm ok with that if it means I'm going to learn how to wheelie and improve my control on the bike. Gotta work on your weaknesses if you want to improve. :viking:

vort3xr6
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks Brad. Great tips. I know I'm going to look like a squid and I'm ok with that if it means I'm going to learn how to wheelie and improve my control on the bike. Gotta work on your weaknesses if you want to improve. :viking:

You would be surprised at how wheelies will completely change your comfort level on a bike. Being able to control a bike during any situation makes you a better rider all around. Just watch videos of Aaron Colton and you can tell that no matter what he is doing on a bike, he is comfortable doing it.

navajowalks
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 02:44 PM
As slow as you feel comfortable... it can be easier to ride em faster with speed, but where on the streets with traffic.... not as safe as in a parking lot at a controlable speed... I would recommend a constant speed for sure trying to keep everything as constant as possible so when you get the hang of what works its easier to keep that in your muscle memory... the clutch and gas is a timing issue and only seat time can teach that... wear your gear,

@25 he's already going pretty fast for first gear.... chasing the wheelie "riding it out" will put him over 45-50 mph pretty quick and that's not nessarily a safe way to learn... not saying that's not how people get started but be careful.... the faster you start the wheelie the faster your going to put it down or worse case wreck...

At the beginning of learning using the brake is easier said than done.... remeber if you are using the rear brake the bike will go down rather than up.... if your not high enough and "gently" using the brake you will have to give it more gas to keep it up.... so now were going to fast and using more gas how am I supposed to keep it out of the rev limiter? Lol

Wheelies 101 not high enough add gas, too high add brake...

I said cover the rear brake cause every person I've seen come out to the lot and want to try and wheelie have there right foot sticking out away from the brake.. its a good habit to start covering the brake all the time

drago52
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 03:06 PM
As slow as you feel comfortable... it can be easier to ride em faster with speed, but where on the streets with traffic.... not as safe as in a parking lot at a controlable speed... I would recommend a constant speed for sure trying to keep everything as constant as possible so when you get the hang of what works its easier to keep that in your muscle memory... the clutch and gas is a timing issue and only seat time can teach that... wear your gear,

@25 he's already going pretty fast for first gear.... chasing the wheelie "riding it out" will put him over 45-50 mph pretty quick and that's not nessarily a safe way to learn... not saying that's not how people get started but be careful.... the faster you start the wheelie the faster your going to put it down or worse case wreck...

At the beginning of learning using the brake is easier said than done.... remeber if you are using the rear brake the bike will go down rather than up.... if your not high enough and "gently" using the brake you will have to give it more gas to keep it up.... so now were going to fast and using more gas how am I supposed to keep it out of the rev limiter? Lol

Wheelies 101 not high enough add gas, too high add brake...

I said cover the rear brake cause every person I've seen come out to the lot and want to try and wheelie have there right foot sticking out away from the brake.. its a good habit to start covering the brake all the time
10-4 :up:

Megan
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 07:01 PM
:confused: 25mph in first? We are riding Saturday and Sunday at the stunt spot hit me up if you want to join. Sunday in the Springs for sure and Saturday is still up in the air wether we are going to Denver or staying in the Springs. Also If i were you I would grab that cage off navajo it's a life saver. Here's some credentials...

vort3xr6
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 08:27 PM
The only reason I said 25 mph in first is that at lower speeds clutching up, it can come up way too fast for new people. At least at 25 you can just get the wheel a little off the ground and ride it out. Its all about the feel for getting the wheel up a little bit, not about hitting balance point in the first attempt. The lower the speed, the quicker the clutch up.

If he had a stunt bike with gear and a welded 12 bar, I would say do a 12k rev drop in first from a stop and learn the rear brake. On a stock street bike, practice riding out wheelies in first, and work comfort level up.

navajowalks
Fri Mar 11th, 2011, 08:54 AM
The only reason I said 25 mph in first is that at lower speeds clutching up, it can come up way too fast for new people. At least at 25 you can just get the wheel a little off the ground and ride it out. Its all about the feel for getting the wheel up a little bit, not about hitting balance point in the first attempt. The lower the speed, the quicker the clutch up.

If he had a stunt bike with gear and a welded 12 bar, I would say do a 12k rev drop in first from a stop and learn the rear brake. On a stock street bike, practice riding out wheelies in first, and work comfort level up.

Key there my friend is "at lower speeds clutching up, it can come up way to fast..." never said dump the clutch and hit the balance point but like you said lower speed quicker the clutch up... its easier to get the front wheel off at lower speeds. Just try popping it up a few inchs more every time.... don't forget my first bike was a 07zx6r minty brand new stock befroe it became a stunt bike....and yes always ride with in your comfort level, its all about seat time... and these things come from the factory with a 12 bar hahahaha.

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu50/navajowalks/IMG_20101114_142331.jpg

Megan
Fri Mar 11th, 2011, 05:53 PM
:wtf: What Navajo said...

drago52
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I'm going to try some of these tips this afternoon. I'm sure I'll have some feedback for you. :squid:

vort3xr6
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 09:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3_Z96lxyUo

drago52
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 08:40 PM
the guys in the video make it look really easy. I found a spot that I think will work for practice, but only on the weekends. I messed around for 15-20 minutes using all the tips you guys mentioned and from the how-to wheelie videos. Honestly, I doubt I got my front wheel up more than a few inches most of the time.

I think I must not be holding in the clutch long enough. I'm cruising at 15-25 mph steady, then pull in the clutch with my index finder while at the same time opening the throttle. Then a split second later, I let go of the clutch and the bike lurches forward. Maybe I'm not holding the clutch in for long enough? I think my revs are probably getting up to 7-8k during that split second. Probably just takes more seat time. The guys in the videos sure make it look smooth and it feel pretty violent to me.

Next time, Vellos and a friend of mine and I will head out and take some vids and you guys and laugh and point fingers and then hopefully give some constructive feedback.

Gramps
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 09:20 PM
somebody give hoopty a call.

I heard he gives wheelie lessons

;)

OUTLAWD
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Next time, Vellos and a friend of mine and I will head out and take some vids and you guys and laugh and point fingers and then hopefully give some constructive feedback.

where ya meeting? I'm down for some closed course practicing. The gixxer powers up easily with the gearing, but I want some practice on the street bike. shoot me a PM if you wanna.

Monster
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 11:02 PM
send me a pm...i'm down with having a little fun on a closed course.

Bueller
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 07:05 AM
somebody give hoopty a call.

I heard he gives wheelie lessons

;)

I don't think he rides anymore :loser:

TL MILLER
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Im down to help anyone in FoCo

Gramps
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I don't think he rides anymore :loser:

He doesn't. I was joking.

Remember his avatar:D

Bueller
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 08:00 AM
He doesn't. I was joking.

Remember his avatar:D

The "Loopty" :lol:

Gramps
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 08:01 AM
that's the one.

:D

Mother Goose
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 08:36 AM
the guys in the video make it look really easy. I found a spot that I think will work for practice, but only on the weekends. I messed around for 15-20 minutes using all the tips you guys mentioned and from the how-to wheelie videos. Honestly, I doubt I got my front wheel up more than a few inches most of the time.

I think I must not be holding in the clutch long enough. I'm cruising at 15-25 mph steady, then pull in the clutch with my index finder while at the same time opening the throttle. Then a split second later, I let go of the clutch and the bike lurches forward. Maybe I'm not holding the clutch in for long enough? I think my revs are probably getting up to 7-8k during that split second. Probably just takes more seat time. The guys in the videos sure make it look smooth and it feel pretty violent to me.

It really helps if someone is taking video of it. You can learn a lot. You may think that it's way up there the first time, but it's really not. :lol:

My first wheelie.
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww191/johnwickrs/fbb7e9d4jpgorig.jpg

Later that year....
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww191/johnwickrs/wheelie03.jpg

navajowalks
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Video or even pictures help... wheelies are going to be soo addicting you guys are just getting into the really really fun times of learning... its a great time and hours and hours on fun just wait....

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I really just want to impress people with my mad skillz... ;)

people aren't nearly as impressed with knee dragging at 100+ as they are with a wheelie...

Bueller
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Stoppies > whoolies :lol:

Mother Goose
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 12:49 PM
The "Loopty" :lol:
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/customavatars/avatar98_1.gif

Bueller
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Don't forget the "Bertha"
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/stuff/newtoncrash.gif

And this is how I roll, this way when I loop it I just pick it up and keep going ;)
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/stuff/2008-09-28_0017.jpg

pauliep
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 04:13 PM

Bike: Rev up to 10k next time. You can and will need to rev really high. You will eventually start used to bring the bike up more controlled than bat of hell violence.

Body position: Move you butt all the way back of your seat. Be light on the clip-ons and hold the bike with your thighs. As you are about to release the clutch and execute your wheelie, lean back with it. Think of it as, as the bike goes up and back, you go with it.

Get used to going up a foot or two. Rip on the throttle and ride those out. Work on using your rear brake to bring you down and another blip on the throttle to come down more gently otherwise you will rack yourself at least 1 out of 5 wheelies. Once you got your safetly practices, start bringing her up higher.

A good indictation that I used for height and BP was having your forks level with the street (or guage cluster level with your face). If you haven't leveled out your forks, you have plenty of height to go. You will have room to work with when you forks go past being level so don't be too nervous with that as your measurement. I knew I had found a good balance when I felt my butt sitting between my bitch seat and rider seat.

Hope that helps, that's how I would describe my experience of learning the "force."

Megan
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 02:48 PM
This is a Richard repost from another thread...

the game has changed cause wheelies used to look like this.
98 Katana wheelie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jmhvlE_wMA)

and now they look more like this.
04 ZX636R Stunt Edition (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWIugyFvxRU&feature=feedu)

navajowalks
Mon Mar 21st, 2011, 09:58 AM
Screw wheelies.....learn drifting!

OUTLAWD
Mon Mar 21st, 2011, 02:07 PM

I like the way you think :up:

Megan
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 09:05 PM
Tires cost to much! :cheers:

Richard
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 12:45 AM

That's what i'm sayin!!!!
i'm with Megan on that.

navajowalks
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 03:51 PM

That's what i'm sayin!!!!
i'm with Megan on that.

Got to pay to play....

:silly:

sag
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 05:46 PM
just got my bike together and sorted, now i need to learn how to do wheelies.

Monster
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 10:37 PM
:cheers:

Revan
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 10:29 PM
quick question about wheelies and the 5-0. if you're in total control and the road is empty is a cop gonna bust your balls for pulling a short wheelie? if so, whats it considered? reckless endangerment?

sag
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 11:53 PM
officers discretion like most situations. my friend got careless for rolling a stoppie in traffic at a light.

Vellos
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 12:18 AM
If the road is empty then there isn't going to be any cops to see it, duh.

Megan
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Oh Yeah Wheelies Yeah!

navajowalks
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 01:19 PM
quick question about wheelies and the 5-0. if you're in total control and the road is empty is a cop gonna bust your balls for pulling a short wheelie? if so, whats it considered? reckless endangerment?

Worst case is they will write you a reckless driving ticket and you get to go to court to fight it down to a careless driving... but techinacally neither law says anything about a wheelie or having one wheel off the ground, so if you had the time and money you could get out of it I'm sure... just wheelie on private property so they can't do anything or don't stop if your on the street haha

DeeStylez
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
maybe a warning just depends on the cop.

Mother Goose
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 01:46 PM
A warning? Doubt it. If it's a little wheelie, you're either trying to pull one, or you're accelerating too fast. If you're riding like a "normal" person, that front wheel won't come up. They'll pop you with a ticket for sure.

Zach929rr
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
you're either trying to pull one, or you're accelerating too fast. If you're riding like a "normal" person, that front wheel won't come up.

If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.

navajowalks
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
A warning? Doubt it. If it's a little wheelie, you're either trying to pull one, or you're accelerating too fast. If you're riding like a "normal" person, that front wheel won't come up. They'll pop you with a ticket for sure.

Not nesscesarliy (sp?) Depends on the officer, I've been let off and givin a warning more than a hand full of times, and only have been issued one ticket...
Just don't act like a dick head when they come up to you, and respect them for doing their job like they are, be prepared to accept any consiquences, have fun be safe and you'll be okay!

grafix
Thu May 19th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I agree with Navajowalks... Back home we had a group of guys that wanted to learn to do wheelies in a fairly controlled environment (abandon cub foods parking lot) cops were called due to excessive noise. They came talked to us said they appreciated that we were staying off the streets doing it but said that the businesses around were complaining about the noise and we had to stop. I've pulled a couple wheelies in my day, mainly just first gear blipping the throttle right around the sweet spot (6k-7k rpms). Just got an ape and wouldn't mind trying it out once or twice on the RSV at like IMI or high planes.

navajowalks
Thu May 19th, 2011, 01:33 PM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?p=567150#post567150

Any body that wants to make the trip to check it out.... getting all your colorado stunters together this sunday

#1Townie
Fri May 20th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Nav is right. If your on a open road then more often then not the cop will let you off. If you don't give tide you will be fine. I got caught doing a 50-50 on a street with no cars. Just happened that as soon as I snatched it up the cop came around the corner behind me. He just said they had some complaints and told me to call it a day. Didn't ask for anything besides license. Just make sure the place you want to play doesn't have alot of cars around.

drago52
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 04:31 PM
I finally got the wheelie down!
http://youtu.be/D0daeoi2J6g

ok, it's on a mountain bike, but I figured I'd take baby steps so that I don't loop the ninja.

spdu4ia
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
HA i can't ride a wheelie on my mountain bike that far to save my life.

drago52
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 08:43 PM
It seems like most of the instructional videos show guys riding wheelies on bicycles first, so step 1 was to learn the wheelie on a bicycle and step 2 is to learn the wheelie on a motorcycle. I'm hoping to learn how to wheelie on the moto by the end of the summer.

Vellos
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 09:00 PM
Bicycles are dangerous! :squid:

Richard
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:55 PM
a bicycle prob isnt a bad idea to start, but i cant wheelie a bicycle to save my live.
i think maybe a 50, atv, dirtbike, or something like that would be a little better. just to get some throttle and brake control.

Sean
Tue May 24th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Looks good, Ryan! :up:

Megan
Tue May 24th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I started with 50 and a quad

InSuPress
Sat Jun 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Been pulled over 4 times in maryland and all the times the cop thanked me for stopping, two were for speeding and the other two for wheelies. Have to say as long as you don't bullshit the cops they probably won't bust your balls. haven't been pulled over in CO..... yet.

TachPHD
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Do you guys suggest starting off on a 50? or maybe a four-stroke 125 or 250?

ImortalUK
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 10:57 PM
Tach are u talking to learn to wheelie on?

ImortalUK
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 11:13 PM
who REALLY wants to learn to wheelie? And I mean for the fact to better your skills not to show off?

navajowalks
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Who wants to just show off?!? Lol

ImortalUK
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Well if anyone really wants to learn just let me know

AOK303
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM
can i learn on your bike would hate to drop mine HAHA JM,

ImortalUK
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Most people I do teach on one of my own bikes

konaman
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I would seriously love to learn how to wheelie. But I just upgraded to a 1000RR and am not trying to learn on or drop my new baby.

ImortalUK
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Wheelies are not as bad as some think. U really have to be ......... "outof it" to dump a wheelie 1000s are better to learn on to u can just power up

ImortalUK
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Again if u want to try I'm more then happy to help I teach allot of "stunt" moves really helps with people's comfort level

Scatterbrain
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 10:23 PM
If you guys are still practicing wheelies i'd love to practice with you guys sometime. I'm the same way, first gear only and can't commit enough.

ImortalUK
Thu Aug 25th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Shifting is the easy part! But we can work on that. Anytime just say when

Megan
Thu Aug 25th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Yeah I wanna learn power wheelies on someone else's bike lmao!

mdub
Thu Aug 25th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I finally got the wheelie down!

me too on my Murray All Mountain

Apache62
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Sign me up...wouldn't mind learning on someone else's bike

salsashark
Sat Aug 27th, 2011, 12:02 PM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/motorcycle_drags_stuntin.gif

Apache62
Sat Aug 27th, 2011, 02:45 PM
NOW THAT'S A WHEELIE!!! ROTFLMAO

bodhizafa
Sat Aug 27th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Wouldn't mind getting together and trying to learn. Now that I got a DRZ that I don't mind dropping :)

ATL
Sun Aug 28th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I'd be down to come watch and/or photograph if it's in or around Boulder/Westminster/N. Denver area.
-Chris

ImortalUK
Sun Aug 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Good news I have been pushed in to building another wheelie trailer! Going to shoot to have it done in a month

madvlad
Sun Aug 28th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Good news I have been pushed in to building another wheelie trailer! Going to shoot to have it done in a month

Nice man, should be hella fun.

ImortalUK
Sun Aug 28th, 2011, 04:53 PM
They are a blast. Check out wheeli machine on youtube

oh10raven
Sun Aug 28th, 2011, 05:41 PM

That's pretty cool! I'm not into stuntin, but I'd love to get practice on something like that. I could clutch up a wheelie for a short distance on my CBR F3, but i'm too much of a sally to do it on my R1 still.

SouthPaw
Tue Aug 30th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I was hoping by the end of this season I would be doing stand ups but going through 4 bikes in less than one season I kept having to learn all over it seemed like. Defiantly by next season it will be accomplished.

Wrider
Tue Aug 30th, 2011, 12:31 AM
4 bikes in one season? Perhaps you should keep it on two?

navajowalks
Tue Aug 30th, 2011, 05:06 PM

They may be a blast... but nothing like the real thing...very difficult to mimic how the bike acts acually doing a real wheelie...and not going to teach you anything for real life...

in my opinion

ImortalUK
Tue Aug 30th, 2011, 05:38 PM
They may be a blast... but nothing like the real thing...very difficult to mimic how the bike acts acually doing a real wheelie...and not going to teach you anything for real life...

in my opinion
True in some ways but do teach u how to get up and helps to learn throttle control

Kole.S
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 10:21 AM
True in some ways but do teach u how to get up and helps to learn throttle control

You the guy with the ryno lined 929 with upsidedown dirtbars or is this someone else? Just curious....

SouthPaw
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 11:25 PM
I thought about getting one at one time but quickly turned it down. If you remember when you were growing up how much crap you got for training wheels on your pedal bike imagine them on a motorcycle lol. Just grab your nuts, grab some throttle and learn to do it.

ImortalUK
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 08:00 AM
You the guy with the ryno lined 929 with upsidedown dirtbars or is this someone else? Just curious....

Nope

Monster
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 03:19 PM
but we would need to find a place to ride

Megan
Mon Sep 5th, 2011, 09:57 AM

Practice teaches you throttle control and the actual clutch up... I have seen MANY PRO's not be able to clutch up a wheelie on one of those machine's just saying :think: Get a 50 boyssssssssssssss :cheers:

derekm
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 08:04 PM
rush!http://sqlcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Rush-band-1978.jpg

navajowalks
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 11:04 AM

Lol those are probably the two things that very between the two the most! Hahahaha

Sorry homie... but I disagree with you...

Its NOTHING like real life

JB2k6R6
Sat Aug 18th, 2012, 06:23 PM
or you can get this:

http://wheelieteach.com/ :) :) :)

Im not too sure how I'd feel about this contraption :|:|:wait:

madvlad
Sat Aug 18th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Holy mother of all revivals batman!.... braaaaaap!

JB2k6R6
Mon Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:47 AM
Holy mother of all revivals batman!.... braaaaaap!

You still without bike? I was looking forward to riding with you.

madvlad
Mon Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:15 AM
You still without bike? I was looking forward to riding with you.

Unfortunately yes and most likely I'll be staying off the streets, next year I'm going to be buying a race bike first before I buy a street bike. Going to be spending a lot more time at the track than the street. If I do it'll be something for doing some serious long distance rides. All of the usual Canyon rides are getting really old and ready to see some new roads and views.