PDA

View Full Version : What do I give when I sell the bike?

tecknojoe
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I've had people asking about my WR, but I need to know exactly what gets handed over when the sale is made. Obviously bike, keys, title. Do I need a bill of sale if I have the title? I'll be keeping my tags so no worries about that. Is there any paperwork I need to do with DMV or is it just up to the new owner to worry about that stuff(other than signing the title)? Would appreciate the info since it's my first sale

bodhizafa
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I used a bill of sale when I sold my R1. Don't know if you need it but I liked to have it. I made to copies and we both signed them. Also call insurance and let them know you sold it (if you had insurance) Take off any plates......oh and make sure you fill out the title correctly, can be a pain if you don't.

Filo
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I live in Larimer county, so this is their website. The information is basically the same for all counties except for emissions.

http://www.co.larimer.co.us/motorv/vehpurchase.htm

You are allowed to transfer without tags if the sale takes place when the DMV is not open.

Wrider
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Give them nothing, but take from them... EVERYTHING!!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAAAA!!!!
In all seriousness, title, keys, bike, bill of sale, and whatever gear/extras you're throwing in.

Vellos
Tue Mar 8th, 2011, 10:42 PM
The bill of sale is necessary for the new owner to register the bike in their name. The only thing a motorcycle sale doesn't need is an emission test in Colorado. So bike, keys, matching title & bill of sale, and you're done. I hand over my vehicle history records too, if you keep those sorts of things. :)

salsashark
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 07:00 AM
^^Actually, in CO, a bill of sale is not a necessity. As long as the title has the purchase price on it, is in your name, and filled out correctly, then a bill of sale is only a "nice to have".

Now that being said, most people issue one out of practice...

Did you register the bike in CO when you moved here or does it still have an out of state title? If so, the title may not have the necessary information on it that the CO DMV requires. This is what happened to me when I bought my Buell. The DMV had some other form that the dealer had to fill out and all was good, but it was a PIA while it was being worked out.

MetaLord 9
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Not to be an ass, but I'd make sure the check clears before the title leaves your hands.

Bueller
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Check :lol:

Ricky
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Yeah, bill of sale is not necessary. I just bought a WR last year, and got the title from the guy, took it to the DMV, and done.

A bill of sale protects you. All sales final, no warranty, blah blah blah...

kjohnston1979
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 09:33 AM
from my recent expierance bill of sale would be great if you buy a salvage title bike like me it said what was done blah blah blah so it helps you aloot with all crap paper work ya gotta do with a salvaged bike origanal owner just laid day broke plastics and progressive salvaged it so now its a nice street fighter

thaitanic
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I've had people asking about my WR, but I need to know exactly what gets handed over when the sale is made. Obviously bike, keys, title. Do I need a bill of sale if I have the title? I'll be keeping my tags so no worries about that. Is there any paperwork I need to do with DMV or is it just up to the new owner to worry about that stuff(other than signing the title)? Would appreciate the info since it's my first sale..........you hand over passport,driver license, medical records, work records, school records, bank account, DNA sample, blood test, deed to your house,your wife, you car, bike, title, keys and bill of sale. that should do it.

tecknojoe
Wed Mar 9th, 2011, 05:53 PM
^^Actually, in CO, a bill of sale is not a necessity. As long as the title has the purchase price on it, is in your name, and filled out correctly, then a bill of sale is only a "nice to have".

Now that being said, most people issue one out of practice...

Did you register the bike in CO when you moved here or does it still have an out of state title? If so, the title may not have the necessary information on it that the CO DMV requires. This is what happened to me when I bought my Buell. The DMV had some other form that the dealer had to fill out and all was good, but it was a PIA while it was being worked out.

the first half of this is what the law is in VA, so I wanted to make sure CO is the same. Sounds like it is.

I bought the bike in VA, and it's currently registered in VA (don't want to bother switching it since I'm just gonna sell it anyway). It shouldn't be a problem I would think.

thanks for all the input. anybody wanna buy a clean WR? :lol: