PDA

View Full Version : Mini Moto IMI (250) Race Day Instructions

martincjm
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Hello Current and New 250 riders,

We are only 2 months away from the first Mini Moto race, and less than 3 months away from the first 250 race (17 inch Class). In order to keep costs down, our modification rules will be the same as MRA for the 250s.

Since we will be paying a premium to rent the track at IMI, I am going to ask that all riders pre-pay, using Paypal (or mailing a check) for those 4 races.

Here's how it will work-

I will send out a confirmation email 2 weeks before the race to gauge attendance at IMI. I will also post the cost on www.rmminimoto.com (http://www.rmminimoto.com)

1 week before the race, I will send out (and post) another email with the cost (No more than $60)

my paypal address is
martincjm@hotmail.com

You may also pay your $50 annual dues using this address.
If you do not have paypal, you may mail a check to me.
Please write in the notes section (or memo on a check), "Annual dues" or "IMI"
The deadline for payments received will be Fridays at 7pm, prior to Race Sunday.
Please adhere to this deadline.

I have posted the race day schedule on www.rmminimoto.com (http://www.rmminimoto.com) .
The race day will be over by 1pm, so it will move quickly! (3 Races/Hour)

We look forward to this new and highly competitive class,

Chris Martin
626 Americana Rd
Longmont, CO 80504

email - admin@rmminimoto.com

OUTLAWD
Thu Mar 10th, 2011, 08:19 PM
cost anything to watch the carnage?

martincjm
Fri Mar 11th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Shouldn't cost a dime to watch.
Tell the gate people you are with the mini moto guys.

Bueller
Fri Mar 11th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Hey Chris, looking @ the rules, I am not seeing anything to keep the CRF, SX or YZ-F 250 supermotos from running the 17" class. Will they be allowed?
In addition you are saying that you are using MRA prep but the website states "250cc 4-Stroke with stock airbox and unlimited mods. " The MRA rules state Airbox w/ OEM filter and snorkel in place and unmodified. And absolutely no engine mods except for removal of Kleen-Air and full exhaust.
Thanks

martincjm
Fri Mar 11th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Hey Chris, looking @ the rules, I am not seeing anything to keep the CRF, SX or YZ-F 250 supermotos from running the 17" class. Will they be allowed?
In addition you are saying that you are using MRA prep but the website states "250cc 4-Stroke with stock airbox and unlimited mods. " The MRA rules state Airbox w/ OEM filter and snorkel in place and unmodified. And absolutely no engine mods except for removal of Kleen-Air and full exhaust.
Thanks

Bueller,
I'm torn on the specifics of the mods allowed, since we don't want to exclude interested riders, but also want to keep parity between bikes. I also don't want a Ninja 250 rider to have to change anything between MRA races and Mini Moto races.

What I'm thinking is to require full fairing, which limits it to Ninjas/CBRs and Aprilia 125s. If it becomes an all Ninja class with a couple of 125s, then we will make the class more specific in the future. The Supermoto club has a full season this year, so having a 40Hp YZ250 interested wouldn't have been likely. I can update our rules to make it a full fairing sportbike class if that sounds fair.

Chris

Bueller
Fri Mar 11th, 2011, 08:08 PM
I am not going to worry about it unless them sandbaggers show up on pimped 250's :lol:

mikesf4i
Sat Mar 12th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Chris
We were planning on running noahs KX 125 sumo in this class. If it becomes a full fairing class we will have to drop out as neither the KX nor our 250 ninja has a fairing on it (it was crashed before we bought it). I didn't think the fast guys on 250 ninjas would be too worried about a small sumo or some other small displacement bike showing up. That I know of there aren't many tricked out 125 2stroke or 250 4stroke sumos running around in colorado anyway. There were only 2 guys on CRF150Rs that showed up at any of the supermoto races last year and they were on knobbies (yes, they were still fast because they were well ridden). Every one else that we know of in supermoto is running bigger bikes. There were only a few other guys on 2 strokes and they were 250s. I don't see bikes other than 250 ninjas as being too much of a concern. (RS125 anyone?)
We just want to race and we don't have a very big budget so we can't afford 2 new 250 ninjas or Aprilias.
I feel that if the guys on fully race prepped $4k 2010 250 ninjas running tire warmers in the pits are worried about a $600 sumo bike with a 14 year old kid on it, maybe they aren't as fast as they think they are.
Bueller. No offense is intended by any of this. I understand you were just asking for rules clarification. I'm just hoping for a chance to race.

OUTLAWD
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Chris
We were planning on running noahs KX 125 sumo in this class. If it becomes a full fairing class we will have to drop out as neither the KX nor our 250 ninja has a fairing on it (it was crashed before we bought it).

were ya able to make a complete ninjette?

if I can get a job I hope to get another small bike...it was stupid fun for the short time I had it

martincjm
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Mike,
The boys are fine to race with their 125 and 250. I wouln't do that to ya. Got any pics of this naked 250?
I haven't had any emails from sumos yet, and like you said, it's all about the 450s here in CO and not the smaller engines.

BTW- Are all the Ninja 250 class rules posted on MRA?

Bueller
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Mike, no offence taken, I was going to reply back that the full fairing thing was probably not the way to go since the first gen ninjas are often raced without any. For the most part, just a catch pan and number plates. But like I did post it will only become a issue if a fully prepped crf250 supermoto shows up with 35-40 hp and a decent rider, no one else would stand a chance. When I was racing my YZ450, these bikes (with the right pilot) could basically race with the open bikes. The CRF150's would not qualify for this class as I see it due to their wheel size. Oh and BTW '07 and older ninjas are on 16 in. wheels.
The Ninjas are putting down 30hp with the permitted mods and pump gas.
Possibly make the 4 stroke 250's have to have been sold in the US as a street legal bike, but that would then that would include the WR250X.
The final printed rulebook for the MRA is not out yet (that I am aware of) but the majority of the rules have been ratified.
Here is the last revision I am aware of:
Class: Ninja 250 cup class
Type: Amateur (novice / expert combined)- Sprint

Bike must be a Kawasaki Ninja 250 (EX250) to qualify for this class. All years of this model are allowed. EDIT: Not mentioned here is that the CBR250 is now included.

In the interest of creating parity in the class ONLY the following modifications are allowed.

1: Bike must comply with safety standards listed in section 5.2 EXCEPT that the Ninja 250 does NOT require a steering damper. A steering damper, however, MAY be added at the riders discretion.

2: No engine modifications of any kind are permitted. Engine must remain as delivered from the factory. No slotting of cam sprockets, no allowance for overbore, no porting, no shaving, no decking, etc.

3: The stock airbox / air filter / intake snorkel must remain in place and connected. No modification of the airbox / air filter is permitted.

4: Bodywork, windscreen, fairing stay, and bodywork mounting brackets may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin. Relieving bodywork for clearance of hand or foot controls, exhaust, and frame sliders IS allowed.

5: Exhaust system, including exhaust bracket assembly, may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

6: Carburetor jetting consisting of Main Jet, Pilot Jet, Needle and Slide hole size may be changed. No other modifications are allowed.

7: The PAIR valve may be blocked.

8: Suspension may be modified with different springs / valves / oil, but the stock rear shock body and stock fork tubes must be retained. Preload adjusters may be added to the forks. Rear ride height may be altered or adjustable.

9: Brake pads may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin, but brake calipers and rotors must be stock.

10: Brake lines (hoses) may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

11: Controls, footpegs, rearsets, handlebars, clip on's, levers may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin. Brake master cylinders and throttle control must remain as stock.

12: External gearing may be changed consisting of chain and sprockets only. These parts may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin

13: Tires may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

14: On bikes manufactured 2007 or before the following additional modifications are permitted

a: Wheels may be replaced with OEM 2008 and up 17" Ninja 250 wheels.
b: Rear shock may be replaced with an OEM 2008 and up Ninja 250 Shock

15: Only parts which are not critical to bodywork or integral support may be removed - but they must be removed at the stock mounting/bolting point. Cutting of materials or frame parts is SPECIFICALLY forbidden, excepting the kick-stand bracket. It may be cut off for ground clearance purposes.

16: Stock charging system must be fully connected and functional at all times.

17. Only DOT approved, street legal, pump gas may be used. NO race gas or performance additives are allowed. At the MRA's discretion, fuel may be supplied to competitors at the prevailing market price.

18. Instrument cluster may be removed, and gauges may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

martincjm
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM
What about a tire requirement if a worked YZ250F was interested? Like dual sport tires only? Just thinking of cheap ways to slow down a fast bike.

Bueller
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I have had my KTM 525 out on the track on stock wheels with knobbies, and have had no problem going pretty quick, and passing a bunch of people, and although that is a lot more displacement than a 250 the riding style is the same, and I couldn't use all the power just due to the lack available traction. The dual sport tires actually offer a good deal of traction but can be overheated easily.
I think if it was worded something to the effect of 125cc 2T of unlimited configuration (although the TZ's and RS's would likely kick ass), 250 4T originally produced as street legal with fairings at the time of manufacture. Bodywork may be removed, modified or replaced with bodywork of unlimited origin.

Just a thought, and as you already stated these guys out of the Colorado Supermoto series will probably not be interested anyways. I guess I look at things from the road race point of view, if there is a loop hole to get a "cheater bike" in, some one will. :lol:

mikesf4i
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks chris!
I will see if I can take a pic of our naked 250 and get it posted or email it to you if you want one.
Dave
Something went through one of the cylinders on it. It trashed the piston, the cylinder and bent two valves in the head. We swiped parts out of the spare motor that we got with the bike and got it running. The best part was that Adam did most of the work. He even set his own valve lash! I just checked everything before he closed up the motor.