PDA

View Full Version : Installing small hitch on Saturn SW2 wagon?

Survivalism
Sat Mar 12th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Hey guys im wondering what you think about this, i have a Saturn Sw2 wagon and i was thinking about buying this hitch:

http://www.hitchsource.com/saturn-sc-saturn-sl-saturn-sw-trailer-hitch-class-i-p-25497.html

I only want it so i can haul a dirt bike from Aurora up to the mountains so i dont have to buy a dual sport and ride it up their.

Im assuming i would either have to get a small trailer to tow or one of those front wheel locks that just tows the bike on its rear tire.

Any thoughts?

MAZIN
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 02:50 PM
It doesn't seem a bad idea, just get a trailer because if you did the hitch carrier between that and the bike I would think it would be past the 200ilb tounge cap. Beside it would be a little easier on your shocks. IMO

tecknojoe
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I've done this. I mounted a class 1 hitch on my 09 a4 so that I could take my R6 to track days. The wiring wasn't too complicated, and it all worked pretty well. The only thing is, since you're limited to class 1, the biggest you can get is probly about 4x8 (i think that's the size I had). but if you just need it for a dirt bike, should work just fine.

Bueller
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 03:22 PM
......or one of those front wheel locks that just tows the bike on its rear tire.

Any thoughts?

Don't do this.

The GECCO
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Don't do this.

:imwithstupid:

Survivalism
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I've done this. I mounted a class 1 hitch on my 09 a4 so that I could take my R6 to track days. The wiring wasn't too complicated, and it all worked pretty well. The only thing is, since you're limited to class 1, the biggest you can get is probly about 4x8 (i think that's the size I had). but if you just need it for a dirt bike, should work just fine.

Would the 4x8 be big enough for my F4i? I dont think i will need to haul both bikes at the same time.

The Black Knight
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Yeah a 4X8 is plenty to haul a F4i. Those Harbor Freight 4X8's are rated I think around 1200lbs. F4i is what?? maybe 450lbs. You'll be fine. You could even haul two bikes on a 4X8, providing you could fit them on it.

tecknojoe
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Yea it will. I towed my R6 in one. May have been 4x7 (whichever is the smallest trailor available at uhaul). And like black knight said, you'll be well under the weight requirements. Put some canyon dancers on it and you'll be good to go. just don't go too fast in any twistys

Gramps
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Don't do this.

:imwithstupid:

It might tow it but will it stop it?

Repsol a095
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I have a 4x8 that I pull with my Frontier. I put two bikes on it all the time. At one point, I had a FJR1300 with an FZ1 on it. I had no problems.