PDA

View Full Version : Motoport and bright clothing

Stthings
Sat Mar 12th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Hey guys and gals, I had a couple of question. Number one, does anyone have motoport gear and can they attest to its quality? Number two, will wearing bright clothing like a yellow or green fluerescent jacket really add to the safety aspect and if so, can you provide a link for proof. Thanks for looking at this thread! :)

OUTLAWD
Sat Mar 12th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I find that bright clothing doesn't compliment the color of my eyes very well, so I choose not to wear it.

I imagine wearing it can help with being seen, in addition to proper lane positioning. But if someone in a cage is simple enough to not see a bike, due to texting, salad eating, make-up application, newpaper reading, tweeting, etc. then wearing yellow might not help very much

if you were looking for a serious answer, I apologize ;)

Airreed
Sat Mar 12th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I'm not sure if you are going to find a link...(i didn't google it...)

My answer is yes bright yellows/oranges with reflextive piping DO make you more visable. The Army makes it's Soldiers wear the yellow vest (we get them free from the safety office) so I do wear one while in uniform.
Also, do your own test, when you are out on the highways/streets see if the hi-viz vests/coats catch you eye.

asp_125
Sat Mar 12th, 2011, 10:20 PM
What color jumps out at you? +1 to Dave, if they're brain dead, texting or eating they won't see you even if you were decked out in unicorns and rainbows and glitter.

Stthings
Sat Mar 12th, 2011, 11:07 PM
yeah good point guys. Aireed, do you know if USAF rotc cadets can get free msf courses on bases?

CaneZach
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 08:26 AM
What color jumps out at you? +1 to Dave, if they're brain dead, texting or eating they won't see you even if you were decked out in unicorns and rainbows and glitter.

I don't know about that. Everytime I get dressed like this and go riding, people tend to notice me

http://poorlydressed.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/129177182782829250.jpg

Stthings
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Ha that's goin on my bucket list. Dress up like a gay unicorn and ride around the gang ridden part of denver on a pink motorcycle

Think
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I'm not sure if you are going to find a link...(i didn't google it...)

My answer is yes bright yellows/oranges with reflextive piping DO make you more visable. The Army makes it's Soldiers wear the yellow vest (we get them free from the safety office) so I do wear one while in uniform.
Also, do your own test, when you are out on the highways/streets see if the hi-viz vests/coats catch you eye.
So my new roommate who is extremely condescending and self righteous says that you need to wear a PT belt or a vest even if you're out of uniform and off post. I told him he was wrong. You have more experience than both of us. What's the actual answer?

CaneZach
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 09:16 PM
So my new roommate who is extremely condescending and self righteous says that you need to wear a PT belt or a vest even if you're out of uniform and off post. I told him he was wrong. You have more experience than both of us. What's the actual answer?

When I was in, we were required to wear a reflective item off-post as well. If you didn't and you crashed, they could make you pay for any medical treatment you needed or withhold any SGLI benefits.

Airreed
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Think-

I believe it's only in uniform...but the Army PT belt is the savior of all things safety...(we had to wear the belt in Kuwait and Iraq...gayness).

Airreed
Sun Mar 13th, 2011, 09:19 PM
CZ-
I thought SGLI did not pay out if you died and the rider was not wearing a helmet.

Ricky
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 09:01 AM
When I was in, we were required to wear a reflective item off-post as well. If you didn't and you crashed, they could make you pay for any medical treatment you needed or withhold any SGLI benefits.

That's strange. If you crashed at your own fault, it would have nothing to do with wearing a reflective vest. However, if you were hit by someone because they couldn't see you because you weren't wearing a vest, that person would be paying the medical bills. Unless of course that person takes off I guess...

CaneZach
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 09:16 AM
CZ-
I thought SGLI did not pay out if you died and the rider was not wearing a helmet.

I went through this last year with a GI who was killed on a Harley, but he didn't have the reflective vest on and he wasn't wearing a helmet, so I don't know which of the two were viewed as more important (you'd think the helmet would be a logical choice, but this is the Army we're talking about). The unit's representative said "they" (I didn't ask who "they" are, but I took it to mean the Army or SGLI) could withhold or diminish the benefits his family receives, with "could" being the operative word. Granted, he was DUI as well, so I'm not sure how much of that played into it. I don't know if they paid or not.

That's strange. If you crashed at your own fault, it would have nothing to do with wearing a reflective vest. However, if you were hit by someone because they couldn't see you because you weren't wearing a vest, that person would be paying the medical bills. Unless of course that person takes off I guess...

When I was stationed at Ft. Hood (late 93 to mid 97), we were told we had to wear a reflective item at all times, even off-post. I thought it didn't make sense either, since if I lowsided, having a reflective belt on wasn't going to prevent that. It's possible they only care about having a reflective belt/vest on when you're riding on-post and the meaning got confused somewhere along the chain. Helmets are required on or off-post for obvious reasons.

Sarge
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I'm in today, and stationed at Fort Carson, and the vest thing applies ALWAYS. It's pants, jacket, gloves, helmet, boots past the ankle and reflective vest AT ALL TIMES ON or OFF post. If you get into an accident, the Army will perform what is known as a "Line of Duty" investigation, and if you failed to wear a SINGLE required item, it is THEIR descretion whether or not to limit medical payments or death benefits. Granted, I don't *always* wear the vest off post (both my riding jackets are bright white, and my textile one has some small reflective strips on it) but I ALWAYS ride in full gear. I haven't witnessed any situations like this first hand, but I imagine they wouldn't stress too much if you went down and got hurt with a full leather track suit on, racing gloves, boots, etc but NO vest, but that's just my opinion, you are still required to wear it regardless.

*edit*
Just for the record, I am my unit's Motorcycle Safety NCO. It's my job to train others in the Army's motorcycle riding policies and safety guidelines.

Sarge
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Think-

I believe it's only in uniform...but the Army PT belt is the savior of all things safety...(we had to wear the belt in Kuwait and Iraq...gayness).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/9327_130614151482_128337356482_2643180_7617871_n.j pg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/9327_130614191482_128337356482_2643185_1852295_n.j pg

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=128337356482&aid=108452

PT Belt's through History. ;)

CaneZach
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Those pics are awesome! For those of you who have never served in the Army, the reflective belt is not just a reflective belt, it is the END-ALL, BE-ALL of accessories. You only need a single reflective belt to shield yourself from a mortar attack, rappel from a Blackhawk, tie yourself to your chute, scale buildings, or fix a flat tire on a HMMWV. It also doubles as a machete if you're going through the jungle. If you lay a reflective belt on the ground, it will always point in the direction of what you want most. If you ride motorcycles without one, it clearly could have prevented any, and I mean AAAA-NNNN-YYYY crash had you simply slipped it on.

Yes, my friends, behold the power of the reflective belt

Sarge
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 12:30 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/9327_130614141482_128337356482_2643178_6841729_n.j pg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/9327_130614201482_128337356482_2643187_7239819_n.j pg

Sarge
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 12:31 PM
And my personal favorite:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/9327_130614196482_128337356482_2643186_689594_n.jp g

salsashark
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 12:33 PM
:pointlaugh:

those are great

Actually had a discussion about my jacket w/ a gate guard at BAFB this morning... She couldn't see the reflective patches.

asp_125
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 01:46 PM
:lol: :pointlaugh: Those are great.

If I wear a reflective belt (tm) I will be able to kick Chuck Norris' ass, right?

Think
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I'm in today, and stationed at Fort Carson, and the vest thing applies ALWAYS. It's pants, jacket, gloves, helmet, boots past the ankle and reflective vest AT ALL TIMES ON or OFF post. If you get into an accident, the Army will perform what is known as a "Line of Duty" investigation, and if you failed to wear a SINGLE required item, it is THEIR descretion whether or not to limit medical payments or death benefits. Granted, I don't *always* wear the vest off post (both my riding jackets are bright white, and my textile one has some small reflective strips on it) but I ALWAYS ride in full gear. I haven't witnessed any situations like this first hand, but I imagine they wouldn't stress too much if you went down and got hurt with a full leather track suit on, racing gloves, boots, etc but NO vest, but that's just my opinion, you are still required to wear it regardless.

*edit*
Just for the record, I am my unit's Motorcycle Safety NCO. It's my job to train others in the Army's motorcycle riding policies and safety guidelines.
Ah, I think the document I was looking at was just for DoD and not specifically Army. This is the paragraph I read that threw me off a bit since it mentions no requirement of reflective gear, just encourages it.

Protective Clothing. Protective clothing includes long-sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, and full-fingered gloves or mittens made from leather or other abrasion-resistant material. Motorcycle jackets and pants constructed of abrasion-resistant materials such as leather, KevlarŽ, or CorduraŽ and containing impact-absorbing padding are strongly encouraged. Riders are encouraged to select PPE that incorporates fluorescent colors and retroreflective material.

JohnEffinK
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Yes the letter of the law says bright color during daytime and reflective at night.

So the end-all be-all is not the belt or common Icon vest. It is the easiest to use for post/base as it is not worth the hassle with the gate guards to discuss the nuances of it.....at least not in uniform.

I did have a civ dude always get into it with the gate guards just for amusement purposes. I dont have the time or inclination for that type of entertainment. I'll just take my pocket of singles to PTs.

John

Sarge
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Ah, I think the document I was looking at was just for DoD and not specifically Army. This is the paragraph I read that threw me off a bit since it mentions no requirement of reflective gear, just encourages it.

That's the thing though, it's not actually a DoD reg or AR or anything, it's actually a Policy Letter written by some General, which makes it as good as law. It'll be in the reg soon enough. This is why there's all the confusion, and why some posts enforce it more than others.

Think
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 09:49 PM
That's the thing though, it's not actually a DoD reg or AR or anything, it's actually a Policy Letter written by some General, which makes it as good as law. It'll be in the reg soon enough. This is why there's all the confusion, and why some posts enforce it more than others.
It's actually kind of weird. A buddy of mine went down about a month ago and got a compound fracture to his thumb and broke a bunch of other fingers in his hands. He didn't have the MSF endorsement or his license and was outside the 120 mile radius from post without a pass when he wrecked. He talked to the company commander recently and was more or less let off the hook. All he has to do is write an essay. It probably helped his situation that there were about 4 DUI's the CO had to deal with around the time he wrecked.

Airreed
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Think-
Dude you are at the Army Safety Mecca (Ft Rucker)...do some rolling burnouts down to the Safety Office and go see a crusty CW5 and get his take on this, but make sure you have your PT belt on...for Safety!!!

Think
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Think-
Dude you are at the Army Safety Mecca (Ft Rucker)...do some rolling burnouts down to the Safety Office and go see a crusty CW5 and get his take on this, but make sure you have your PT belt on...for Safety!!!
I was planning on organizing a stunt sesh in the parking lot of the post commander's officer.

Bashed
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I was planning on organizing a stunt sesh in the parking lot of the post commander's officer.

I'll bring you a carton of cig's for your new roomate, to help ease the transition.

Sean
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Honestly, I don't know if it would help or not? The only times would be good, would be for oncoming traffic (cars making left turns in front of you or at night), but otherwise people that merge into your lane, rear end you, or something else, are just not paying attention and on their phone. Personally, I like Hi Res gear, but my girlfriend says she'll leave me if I start wearing it :(

dirkterrell
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 09:41 AM
people that merge into your lane,

Like the dumbass who tried to pin me against the pickup truck in the next lane yesterday when she suddenly decided she needed to go from the left lane to the right lane of Arapahoe (3 lanes) with me in the middle. Where was Boulder's finest? A mile or so up the road playing laser tag cash register. Public safety my ass.

Dirk

usmcab35
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 10:05 AM
i work on buckley afb im in the army, i was told by the safety officer that if i didnt have my vest on with all the other requirements, my family wouldnt get my life insurance if i died in a crash. so i stuff my vest in my inside jacket pocket when i canyon ride, so if i wreck hope fully someone will sling it over me before the cops come. but it doesnt help people see me, in fact i seem to have more close calls coming home from work with it on then when i dont have it on.

Think
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Personally, I like Hi Res gear, but my girlfriend says she'll leave me if I start wearing it :(
Hahahaha... that seems a bit extreme.

Ricky
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Like the dumbass who tried to pin me against the pickup truck in the next lane yesterday when she suddenly decided she needed to go from the left lane to the right lane of Arapahoe (3 lanes) with me in the middle. Where was Boulder's finest? A mile or so up the road playing laser tag cash register. Public safety my ass.

Dirk

Saw the same thing yesterday. They have started picking up patrols at 84th & I25 because of the construction that has started there. Even though there was absolutely no work going on there yesterday, they were still out there looking for those double construction zone fines.

Sean
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Like the dumbass who tried to pin me against the pickup truck in the next lane yesterday when she suddenly decided she needed to go from the left lane to the right lane of Arapahoe (3 lanes) with me in the middle. Kind of sounds like you were in her way? You should pay more attention to her needs. Didn't you get the memo that now states that 99% of Boulder drivers have the world revolve around them?

Hahahaha... that seems a bit extreme.
Yeah, sometimes I wish she wasn't a keeper! :lol:

asp_125
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Honestly, I don't know if it would help or not?

It is ineffective against Priuses

Sean
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 11:26 AM
It is ineffective against PriusesYou're right, it wouldn't have mattered. The SFB was looking at her cell phone, not the road. I could have been wearing a pink tutu, ri-res jacket with my hair on fire and she would have never known. :banghead:

BHeth
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Hey guys and gals, I had a couple of question. Number one, does anyone have motoport gear and can they attest to its quality?

Never tried it, but I know some people who have.

Here are 100 odd pages about Motoport:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80138

Here is a dude that had a pretty bad experience:

http://journal.drfaulken.com/motoport-cycleport-ultra-ii-air-mesh-kevlar-pants-and-jacket-take-two/

Stthings
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Yeah the people's republic of boulder is not a fun place to ride in.... unless you want to die :)

Sarge
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Update on my previous post on the vests and being in the Military. The *Official* Guideline is BRIGHT clothing during daytime hours, (I wear nothing but bright white jackets) and reflective at night, which calls for the vest.

usmcab35
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Update on my previous post on the vests and being in the Military. The *Official* Guideline is BRIGHT clothing during daytime hours, (I wear nothing but bright white jackets) and reflective at night, which calls for the vest.

that is what i saw too, but the gate people had a fit when i came in with just my blue jacket, i told then it is bright, and they said yes but matches my bike so i wouldnt work?? wtf so i wear my vest over it when i ride to and from work.. so lame

asp_125
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Rode last night at dusk with the GoPro, and I was amazed how the day-glo yellow just stands out.

Xtremjeepn
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I have 5-6 motorcycle jackets. Mostly black ones even though I think black is the dumbest color ever for motorcycle gear. It's hot and when someone does a quick "head check" to see if the lane is clear you blend in like a shadow.

I also have a "Stupid Bright" yellow jacket I bought just for commuting. I have to ride down I-70/270/I25 during rush hour traffic. The kind of traffic where you will end up in someone's blind spot no matter how hard you try not to. It's pretty obvious how much more visible I am with the yellow coat on vs the black ones. Kinda hate the coat, but have to admit you can be seen it it. Especially when people to the quicky look in the mirror, or head check before changing lanes.

Old Pic, but you get the point.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2129/90/40/660803202/n660803202_2076577_55.jpg

Ricky
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I can vouch for Cole's jacket's. We work in the same building, and his entire floor glows fluorescent green when he rides his bike to work

Stthings
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I can vouch for Cole's jacket's. We work in the same building, and his entire floor glows fluorescent green when he rides his bike to work

:P haha yeah. So now the question is, does anyone have Motoport appareal?