PDA

View Full Version : Toe shoes...Danskos.....shoe recommendations?

Cat118!
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I have had reconstructive surgery on both ankles, one being very recent, new knee issue, planters feet recently devolped. So alot of pain going on which is making me not workout because of pain in one spot or another. Recommendations for good shoes!!
Heard alot of rave about toe shoes but are they reallllly good for you?

cbrjohnny
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 09:17 AM
you need insoles!!! get superfeet they ARE the best they will help any shoe you get or have they run about 35 bucks a set you pull the worthless insole out of your footwear and trim the superfeet to the size of the insole and insert, its that easy!

john

modette99
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 09:57 AM

jbnwc
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I used to sell shoes in college and the best for comfort are Ecco and Mephisto without question. I only buy Ecco shoes/boots regardless of the price; they aren't cheap. For your situation however, a lot of people liked Danskos or Birkenstocks since they are a very solid base and still will be comfortable. Danskos take a little getting used to because of the lose fit and the sliding heel. It's weird to people at first. Birkenstocks can be too much arch support so beware of that, too. DO NOT ever buy Dr. Martens. Worst shoe ever in every way. I bet we had 1 in 3 come back for repairs within a year of purchase. Not to mention they are horribly uncomfortable and rarely if ever break in. Teva makes the best sandals/flipflops in my opinion. Chaco and Keen aren't bad, though.

If you need a stiff shoe - Go Dansko or Birkentstock.
If you need a comfortable/flexible shoe - Go Ecco.

aerofaze
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Heard alot of rave about toe shoes but are they reallllly good for you?

I use the toe shoes (Vibram 5Fingers) for ONLY running- they are the best for me for that purpose and I love them as my sore joints have disappeared. They're the only shoe I've been running in for over a year now.

However, I definitely am NOT speaking for everyone. Plus, I hate walking or standing around in them for long periods of time: I'd rather be truly barefoot. So if you're looking for everyday shoes, go with something else (like the above suggestions).

OUTLAWD
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I haven't ran in my 5 fingers yet...but I love them for everyday use so far. but I'm no foot/joint expert

Squisha
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I found myself nodding in agreement with all the posted replies, despite the fact that they do not absolutely agree with each other. They don't contradict, necessarily, but it made me go back to the original question and think, "depends on what you want 'em for!"

I have fivefingers and I love 'em, because I like being barefoot. At work I wear keens, and have never needed any special footbeds. Other shoes I sometimes wear have Superfeet footbeds in them (recommended by a doctor after diagnosing me with plantar fasciitis. (I lost weight and it pretty much went away--but that's neither here nor there.)

Fivefingers take some getting used to--I suspect the more under-developed the muscles in your legs and feet, the more careful you have to be about easing into regular and/or long-term use.

Cat118!
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I found myself nodding in agreement with all the posted replies, despite the fact that they do not absolutely agree with each other. They don't contradict, necessarily, but it made me go back to the original question and think, "depends on what you want 'em for!"

I have fivefingers and I love 'em, because I like being barefoot. At work I wear keens, and have never needed any special footbeds. Other shoes I sometimes wear have Superfeet footbeds in them (recommended by a doctor after diagnosing me with plantar fasciitis. (I lost weight and it pretty much went away--but that's neither here nor there.)

Fivefingers take some getting used to--I suspect the more under-developed the muscles in your legs and feet, the more careful you have to be about easing into regular and/or long-term use.

sounds like I have the same you do plus more.....think I will try them and the superfeet bed in regular shoes.... where they at?

Tylaw
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM
where can I find these 5 finger shoes you all are talking about?

cbrjohnny
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 04:51 PM
sounds like I have the same you do plus more.....think I will try them and the superfeet bed in regular shoes.... where they at?

you can get superfeet at most running stores i also saw them at nordstoms. there are several types and sizes see if you can get someone at the store to help you measure for a proper fit!

good luck!

Cat118!
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 06:17 PM
where can I find these 5 finger shoes you all are talking about?
REI or vibrams.com

extremepaint
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 08:54 PM
ill throw up another recomendation for superfeet inserts i had huge problems with foot paint at the start of my my first standing all day working lifting heavy stuff job... the insoles wear really hard at first but after a week or two i noticed no more paint... three years later i have the same boots and insoles and no foot pain even tho im still on my feet all day!

Squisha
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 07:26 AM
REI's a good place to find Superfeet too...I think the flagship store even has the equipment to make the custom ones--though I don't think custom is really necessary unless you got something odd about your feet. Er, more odd than most people.