PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have any advice about Grand Prix??

VA2CO
Thu Apr 28th, 2005, 07:50 PM
I sold my Gixxer 750 a couple of years ago, and have been going crazy ever since.
I went to Grand Prix yesterday, and looked around. I was impressed with the size of the shop, and it looked fairly well stocked, although light on the sportbike side. Anyway, they had a 2002 TL1000R, and I thought I would take a closer look. The salesperson, who shall remain nameless, stated that the price they had on it was $7800, and I come home to find it posted on the web in their used section at $5999. Also, Having owned 2 'Zukis before, I am kind of hard core about the brand. (Not that there is anything wrong with Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Honda equipment, Suzukis just fit me better.) I had a Kawasaki ZX-7 before, and loved it too. Anyway, my point is that he was qouting me like $8900 on GSX-600Rs; and not anniversary editions, and $10k on 750's. I know that there is dealer markup, but man, that is way over corporate MSRP.
On the flip side, I was treated with respect, although this particular salesperson was admittedly not a rider.
If anyone knows a great deal, or a nice used bike someone is trying to sell, let me know. I am seriously needing a ride!!

King Nothing
Thu Apr 28th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Talk to wahoo about getting a bike.....

Wahooman
Thu Apr 28th, 2005, 08:07 PM
:imwithstupid:
Give us a call. Ask for Danny in sales. We can see if we have something for you.....if not at least you searched out the opportunity. I will tell you this: You will be treated with honesty and integrity and by far have the best experience you can.....whether or not you buy a bike from us or not.

VA2CO
Thu Apr 28th, 2005, 09:53 PM
I will definately give you a call on Saturday. (my only day off). My wife and I just moved here from VA, so still searching out the area. I am already excited to see a thriving sportbike community, even if it does seem the Harley guys have us outnumbered!! But hey, cruisers are cool too. I have to admit, if I had the money, I would have at least one of each!!

Sully
Fri Apr 29th, 2005, 11:43 AM
It's just that the OLD GEEZERS (or the married guys w/2+ kids going through a mid life crisis) that out number us... :lol: :oops:

j/k - well...sort of.. :D

troythetroll
Fri Apr 29th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Grand Prix bad...others nearly as bad....good luck. I bought my last 750 from someone on this board, was much easier than dealing with the local shops. Got a good price, got a good bike, didn't have the hassles of non riding salesmen, or my last experience at Grand Prix where they told me to, and I quote, to "stop wasting their time" when I wouldn't buy the first motorcycle I stopped in to look at one morning. I took $500 less to trade my bike somewhere else.....I'm a firm believer in voting with ones feet and even ones dollars.

Also, take whichever salesmen are hanging out on the board for a spin, they are probably more interested in being fair and reasonable than just stopping into a random shop and talking to random people.

Pachuco
Fri Apr 29th, 2005, 02:52 PM
It's just that the OLD GEEZERS (or the married guys w/2+ kids going through a mid life crisis) that out number us... :lol: :oops:

j/k - well...sort of.. :D

hey I resemble that remark.
:lol: :oops:
I would definitely shop around and see who has the best deal in terms of price and Customer satisfaction.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Apr 29th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I believe Firefighter works for Grand Prix in case you don't make the trip up to Twin Peaks! If i were you I would make the drive!

itsme1738
Fri Apr 29th, 2005, 06:03 PM
i just bought 2 bikes from g p
a new tt125l and a 1994 225 yamaha on off
thought i got a pretty good deal
but they were tooooo pushey on warrntys
guy seemed pissed i didnt want to drop
a grand on service that i can do!
all in all i felt good

jeff

VA2CO
Fri Apr 29th, 2005, 11:53 PM
With the imput I have been getting from people on the board sending me PMs with their personal rides for sale, I think I will go that route. Here, I can meet and talk to the owner, see the bike in a non-pushey commission driven environment, and feel like I am making the deal. I used to be an accountant, and I get so tired of hearing, "What kind of payment can you afford?" Believe me, I know plenty about amortization, appreciation, depreciation, and "bottom lines." A payment may be $200 a month for like 60 months, and that might be fine, but if the bottom line is 150% the principle value of the motorcycle, who cares. You get screwed that way. I prefer to know how much I am paying, how the bike was cared for, and I don't really want to rush this decision. I consider myself a little more of a coniseur, and like to ride something I like, can appreciate, and truly love, rather than whatever the "Hot Bike" might be this week.
I have a buddy who just bought a new R1, and it is sweet, fast, smooth, elegant, and any other superlative you can mention, but it was like $11000. In my mind, the best bike I ever had was my 97 ZX-7. And I bought it for $4000 used.
I guess my point is, I want to buy what I like, not get pressured into something, and not feel like I am getting screwed for buying something that should be considered a luxury item. I hope that many on here feel the same way, thus I would like to buy from a member.
I will check out twin peaks, but right now, I am less than enthused with the dealerships.
Coyote wanted $9400 for a GSX-1000R, and 03 with 5k. A littel high when a new one isn't much more and has a warranty.
Why did I ever sell my GSX-750R??? AHHHHH!!!!! :|

troythetroll
Sat Apr 30th, 2005, 08:24 AM
I know what you mean. I bought a 2002 gsxr750 for $6000 with 800 miles on it from someone off the board...he wasn't a kid, hadn't done the usual kid things with the bike, he wasn't interested in going under $6G's but it was a good deal, the thing wasn't even broken in yet. Not a scratch on it.

I have a buddy who hangs around here who got his 2002 Gsxr1000 for $6700 with 2300 miles on it, pipe and some of the usual goodies included. The dealerships want a pretty stiff premium compared to an individual, moreso than other places I've lived. Its a buyers market as far as I'm concerned though...keep an eye open, search through lots of classifieds for that motivated seller and you'll pay 70% to an individual compared to what a dealer wants.

Wahooman
Sat Apr 30th, 2005, 10:01 AM
With the imput I have been getting from people on the board sending me PMs with their personal rides for sale, I think I will go that route. Here, I can meet and talk to the owner, see the bike in a non-pushey commission driven environment, and feel like I am making the deal. I used to be an accountant, and I get so tired of hearing, "What kind of payment can you afford?" Believe me, I know plenty about amortization, appreciation, depreciation, and "bottom lines." A payment may be $200 a month for like 60 months, and that might be fine, but if the bottom line is 150% the principle value of the motorcycle, who cares. You get screwed that way. I prefer to know how much I am paying, how the bike was cared for, and I don't really want to rush this decision. I consider myself a little more of a coniseur, and like to ride something I like, can appreciate, and truly love, rather than whatever the "Hot Bike" might be this week.
I have a buddy who just bought a new R1, and it is sweet, fast, smooth, elegant, and any other superlative you can mention, but it was like $11000. In my mind, the best bike I ever had was my 97 ZX-7. And I bought it for $4000 used.
I guess my point is, I want to buy what I like, not get pressured into something, and not feel like I am getting screwed for buying something that should be considered a luxury item. I hope that many on here feel the same way, thus I would like to buy from a member.
I will check out twin peaks, but right now, I am less than enthused with the dealerships.
Coyote wanted $9400 for a GSX-1000R, and 03 with 5k. A littel high when a new one isn't much more and has a warranty.
Why did I ever sell my GSX-750R??? AHHHHH!!!!! :|
Sounds like you have a plan and have some leads for a bike. I hope you find one soon....riding season is basically here. Also I didn't say in my last post.....Welcome to Colorado!! Anyway, I do urge you not to compare our dealership to any other you have been too. Even if you just want to go and look at bikes or meet us--come up. Others have said the same thing about dealerships on here, came to our place, and so far all positives. If you also look under this same forum of "shop experiences" you will see what places are getting the negatives regularly and what places people trust and enjoy going to....whether it be for bike purchase or servicing. Anyway....I will be at Twin Peaks today...headed out now, getting a late start. If happen to come up ask for Curtis.

itsme1738
Sat Apr 30th, 2005, 10:14 AM
there is a used 1992 fzr 1000 ...in for sale

oops ...ok fixed that

Wahooman
Sat Apr 30th, 2005, 07:06 PM
there is a used 20 fzr 1000 in for sale
Dang....that is an old bike :lol: 0020? ;)

MUSHMEAT
Sun May 1st, 2005, 02:13 PM
Just remember that grand prix won't give a stinkin crap about you AFTER you buy a bike from them..............JUST REMEMBER!!

itsme1738
Sun May 1st, 2005, 02:20 PM
well im taking my sons 05 ttr125l in for service
thiss week ill tell u how it goes.....
jeff

Mel
Sun May 1st, 2005, 05:21 PM
HA! I have not actually purchased a bike from Grand Prix, but I did just buy a house that was in pre-foreclosure....owner of the house was the finance "manager" at Grand Prix. I know this will sound horrible of me to say, but the house is a damn nice house, that someone (him) didn't appear give a shit about, take care of, or pay for (hence the reason it is in foreclosure). I know business and personal life are seperate things, and bad things happen to good people, but seriously, if you can not manage your personal life and finances, I don't think I would trust letting you set up payments on a bike :D

That, and every time I have gone there to buy parts for my GSXR, the parts guys talk directly to my husband, saying things like "do you need any help installing this on YOUR bike?"...like HELLO! I just came in, ordered the parts, paid for the parts, why the hell are you talking to the guy holding my kiddo instead of me! He doesn't have a bike or even know how to ride one for god sakes!
Or if I go in there alone for parts, I am treated like I am stupid or something.....like I should not know how to fix my own damned bike! Or like it is not my damn bike at all, like I am some errand girl sent on a short trip out of the kitchen to buy parts!

Wahooman
Sun May 1st, 2005, 05:37 PM
I did just buy a house that was in pre-foreclosure....owner of the house was the finance "manager" at Grand Prix.

"Now thats funny....and I don't care who ya are!" :lol:

VA2CO
Sat May 7th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Well, all dealerships seem like sh*tbirds anyway you look at it. I guess you really don't have a choice if you want a new bike. I did actually end up buying from GP but I didn't get the "extended Warranty" or any of that. I got two matching lids, Yoshi pipe, frame sliders, tank pad, and a pair of nice gloves with tags/tax/title out the door for only about $500 over the MSRP for just the bike. I don't feel too hosed, but then again, try me again in a few months.

firefghtr
Sat May 7th, 2005, 06:31 PM
ah whoever that was was full of shit, it is listed as 5999 and everyone should know that, anyhoo we just got in a 02 gixxa 600 and 99 R1 today also

Wahooman
Sat May 7th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Well, all dealerships seem like sh*tbirds anyway you look at it. I guess you really don't have a choice if you want a new bike. I did actually end up buying from GP but I didn't get the "extended Warranty" or any of that. I got two matching lids, Yoshi pipe, frame sliders, tank pad, and a pair of nice gloves with tags/tax/title out the door for only about $500 over the MSRP for just the bike. I don't feel too hosed, but then again, try me again in a few months.
All dealerships? Nice stereotyping :|

Ghost Rider
Mon May 9th, 2005, 05:08 PM
FWIW,
I tried to buy an 05 Kaw Nomad at GP Sat to add to the ZX-12 and DRZ400.
I was Quoted 13,500 + Tax and was told that was list with no fees.(list Was 12,999). Called a little later and was told maybe 13,000 + fees + tax.

Went to Sun and bought the same identical bike for 11,800 +fees +tax The total came to about 12,700 total including tax.

Wasn't the 1st time that happened at GP but now will definitely be the last.
Wasn' t Garrett that I was dealing with.

Nat

Also got a VIP card.

:roll:

VA2CO
Tue May 10th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Sorry Wahooman. Didn't mean literally. I actually did buy a bike there. And yes, even from the same guy that quoted me too high on the TL. Oh well, in the end, I said what I would pay, and they agreed. That is all I really wanted in the first place. I make a good offer, and they do the deal.

Good enough for me.

I will check a few other places that sell Suzukis over the next couple of days, just to make sure. They do have the price gaurantee after all!!

It sucks that there are so many Yamaha dealers, and not so many Suzuki dealers. Sorry, but kinda die-hard for the Zukis.

Bueller
Tue May 10th, 2005, 09:41 PM
It sucks that there are so many Yamaha dealers, and not so many Suzuki dealers. Sorry, but kinda die-hard for the Zukis.

I'm sorry.........oh wait :silly:

HDave
Tue May 10th, 2005, 09:55 PM
wahoo, isnt stans right across the parking lot from carquest? You must know the great guys nextdoor?