PDA

View Full Version : Did ya'll see the changes coming for the FKA "Colorado Pass"?

~Barn~
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Looks like Vail Corp. is making the move to get some more moola out of their existing cash-cow!

Goodbye Colorado Pass.... Hello Epic Local Pass.
Goodbye $429 early purchase price.... Hello $499.

Ouch.

Clickith. (http://www.snow.com/passsales/default.aspx?cmpid=ET1266615&et_rid=100449178)

Tylaw
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 04:15 PM
cool that you can now use at Heavenly and Tahoe, but still alot of moolah. Sux being poor.

real5280
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 04:30 PM
still such a good deal for even the local mountains you can ride on the one pass. ive lived in a few other areas of CO where you couldnt get a single mountain for that cheap, and its a hell of a lot better than $100/day.

MetaLord 9
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I saw. Dislike. The resorts don't need any extra money. I'm calling shenanigans

tecknojoe
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Not surprised. They didn't try very hard to disguise a price increase

~Barn~
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 05:01 PM
My favorite part is how you can still get the "Summit Value Pass", but now you're blacked out at Breck on certain days. Lovely.

tecknojoe
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 05:04 PM
My favorite part is how you can still get the "Summit Value Pass", but now you're blacked out at Breck on certain days. Lovely.

Hmmm that might not be too bad considering I try to avoid breck on crowded days

Canuck
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Hmmmm. Copper and Winter Park are looking more attractive to me now.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 05:27 PM
We always called Northstar, Flatstar

brennahm
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 05:41 PM
You could get Heavenly on this years CO pass too. I don't like the increase, but more than happy to realize it's still one of the best values in the country.

tecknojoe
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 06:13 PM
O yea, I think I'm getting copper next year. I'm gonna play at the woodward shit a lot

Vitesse304
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 09:26 AM
O yea, I think I'm getting copper next year. I'm gonna play at the woodward shit a lot

Get the punch card, best value if you plan on spending a lot of time there. I used to work at Copper and visited there quite a bit, it gets kind of crowded so try to go when they open and during the day. Afternoons and evenings it gets pretty packed in there.

I don't ever think a price increase is going to be popular, but I understand it. Vail is planning on spending 93 million in capital improvements across all resorts and an additional 30 mil at Northstar. They have to get the money for these improvements somewhere.

Also, keep in mind, these improvements have made it easier to ski and created a better experience at the resorts. Look at Breck with the new gondola. Parking used to be a nightmare and peak 8 and 9 were always super crowded. Now, Breck is just as busy, but it's all spread out with a majority of it at peak 7 now. (1st stop on the gondola).

Overall, the epic pass is still the cheapest and biggest bang for your buck. Your pass is valid at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, A Basin, Heavenly and Northstar. You can ski 3 resorts in summit, 2 in eagle, and 2 in tahoe now. The options are what adds value here. Compared to the Winter Park/Copper/Steamboat, yes it might be cheaper, but realistically, are you able to ski all three in 1 day? And are the mountain ammenties even compareable?

Ricky
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I'm getting the Epic local pass for sure. We're planning a trip up to Tahoe in January for a week, so it's worth it just for that plus the usage around here. I've done the Copper/WP thing for many years. I hate Copper so much because of the speed police, so I never go there except early season. I'll probably get a pass to WP only, and also get the epic local.

I'm stoked about that change. I was thinking I'd have to pay $600+ for a pass with stuff her and heavenly.

Nothing will ever take me away from WP. It is, by far, my favorite mountain.

dallas
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 09:53 AM
When I was in high school, I worked part time at a little ski resort in Arizona. I remember the season passes were over $500 and this was like 1992-1995 time frame and it was just one resort. Seems like a good deal to me.

Sean
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 10:13 AM
What's sad, is that the resorts have jacked their daily price so high, that you only need to go 6 times a season to justify the pass. Prices will rise and people will still buy.

MetaLord 9
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 10:15 AM
^^I thought it was 5 times over the last couple of years. Day passes are about $100 aren't they?

Vitesse304
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM
^^I thought it was 5 times over the last couple of years. Day passes are about $100 aren't they?

$104 this year during peak season. Next year it will go higher.

But for a realistic comparison, the most discounted lift ticket available will be either at king soopers or the peaks advanced pricing which is about $10 off.

So, yes you will need to ski at least 6 times to make it a worthwhile purchase.

Sean
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 10:24 AM
5-6 days, give or take, depending on the resort.

Ricky
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 10:26 AM
was only $93 or something at WP this year. Still the highest I've ever seen.

salsashark
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 10:49 AM
The resorts make it easier and easier to not go snowboarding every year...

Ricky
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I paid roughly $16/day to ride this year, lol. That's cheap!!!

asp_125
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I still get my ski days in, between 4paks at Copper / WP, Loveland, and my SKE card for Vail resorts. That way I pick where the snow is and the crowds aren't.

Unfortunately I got injured and still have my 4pak for WP and 3 out of 4 days for Copper, anyone want to buy it? The only catch is it has my photo, so you need to look like me. :D ... but hey, if you're Azn that's easy; we all look alike right?