PDA

View Full Version : Racers, how long do your pucks last?

Sparker
Thu Apr 28th, 2005, 08:29 PM
How long do they usually last and how thick are the ones you use? just curious

RSVR4aCowboy
Fri Apr 29th, 2005, 06:18 AM
The Gas and Asphault leathers ones lasted me about 2 - 3 race weekends. I get longer wear out of the plastic sliders but they vibrate on my knee more than the leather pucks and don't have as good a feel as the leather IMO.

JT_42
Fri Apr 29th, 2005, 08:44 AM
I use to run a set down (plastic) in three race weekends...
After realizing that they cost around $35 a set, I touch down, and pull my knee in a little, just to know that I'm at the right angle. My last set lasted most of the year.
Look on ebay for the $18 plastic kind if you want to mash your knee to the ground.........

I like both Leather and plastic.
I agree with Cowboy on the feel of the sliders.

James

Hoopty
Fri Apr 29th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I use the Asphalt and Gas ones too. :rock: I get about 2-3 weekends out of mine too, but I am trying to make a mental note about dragging them less. I hear a quality set should last most of a season! :shock:

Bryce
Fri Apr 29th, 2005, 04:48 PM
holy cow you guys are hard on pucks I can get better than a year out of a set of the A&G endurance compound and they have WAY!!!!! better feel than plastic

Bryce

Lel
Sun May 1st, 2005, 03:47 PM
I get most of the year, if not the year on a set... I found out where I am then kinda pull the knee back in some.

kenny
Sun May 1st, 2005, 05:23 PM
Try to set the puck so the rear touches first. It works sweet on lumpy streets, and grooved center lines.

The Black Knight
Sun May 1st, 2005, 05:26 PM
although I don't do track days(yet). I'm not sure if you guys are allowed to use titanium knee sliders on the tracks. I just got a new set of Motrax Titanium(solid) sliders and have done at least 5 or so weekend rides and they are showing hardly any wear. I do press down hard in order to get the shower of sparks to really fly. Like I say if you are looking for good street sliders the titanium to me as the best value, I get mine cheap here in the US. As for track I don't know if you guys can use them out there.

Sparker
Sun May 1st, 2005, 06:25 PM
how much did you pay for your titaniums and where?

zx6er
Sun May 1st, 2005, 06:45 PM
it all depends on how hard you use them, but i am on my first set since august, might not be a good comparison because i am so short i am not on them long i a corner

phillip
mra234

Lel
Sun May 1st, 2005, 07:30 PM
although I don't do track days(yet). I'm not sure if you guys are allowed to use titanium knee sliders on the tracks. I just got a new set of Motrax Titanium(solid) sliders and have done at least 5 or so weekend rides and they are showing hardly any wear. I do press down hard in order to get the shower of sparks to really fly. Like I say if you are looking for good street sliders the titanium to me as the best value, I get mine cheap here in the US. As for track I don't know if you guys can use them out there.

You wont be allowed to use them w/ any MRA track days, I think I saw somewhere in the rule book that sliders that produce sparks are not allowed. Also I dont know how many guys would respond to a shower of sparks in a corner.

BlueDevil
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 07:25 AM
I use the Astar Mediums. They last a full season. I usewd to lay on my knee hard and tear pucks up in a couple times out. Now a touch them down slightly.

Bueller
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 10:53 AM
I usewd to lay on my knee hard and tear pucks up in a couple times out. Now a touch them down slightly.
:imwithstupid:
It's fun when you start draggin' but when you go to replace 'em they cost too much to be wasteing them away. I try to get the guys on the street to trade me their untouched ones for my worn ones :yes: :lol:

Mista Black
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
is that why you've never asked for my used pucks... too worn... hmmm, i knew there had to be a reason :P

Bueller
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 11:46 AM
I didn't think "touring" Gortex heated panties had sliders :dunno:

Mista Black
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 11:49 AM
:lol: ok i give ya that one :lol:

tried on the leathers... they fit fine!! thanks again

hcr25
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 12:03 PM
I sell the Asphalt & Gas leather knee pucks. I am placing an order for the PPIR weekend. Prices start at $40.00 let me know if anyone wants a set.
mike

12pointracing
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 12:11 PM
I have historically run the hardest plastic compounds I could find simply because I can't make myself stop mashing my knee into the ground. I have gotten used to them, but they are really hard and really noisy when they slide...When you can hear your sliders on the pavement when you have your ear plugs in AND over the engine noise, that tells you how hard the compounds are.

I prefer leather pucks, but generally can't get them to last more than a few weekends (6 races & both endurances per weekend). That said, Mike's A&G pucks are the only things that I can get to last and still have that good feel. Although Mike is a pain in the a$$ to deal with, the pucks rock.

(OK OK, I lied. He is easy to deal with. He just can't keep a bike up on two wheels for very long :) )

Anonymous
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 12:25 PM
I went through about 2.5 sets last season. I used to keep my knee down all the way through the corner, but now I just touch it down to see where I'm at then lift it once I know I'm at full lean (except for turn 3 at Pueblo, where it seems that my knee is touching both the ground and my fairing at the same time :shock: :lol: ). The first 2 sets last year were plastic, then I got an old (unused) set of A&G (Asphalt & Gas) from TK and I really like them. They're about 1" thick (7/8", to be precise). Because the A&G are made of leather, they give you more feedback than plastic, they're easier on the knees, and because they grab (more than plastic), they can be used (somewhat) to help slow down your corner speed if need be (just press your knee down harder) 8).

Feathered upstart!
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 12:30 PM
I didn't think "touring" Gortex heated panties had sliders :dunno:

:spit:

Anonymous
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure if you guys are allowed to use titanium knee sliders on the tracks. The MRA does not allow them, however the tracks themselves might - you would have to check with each track individually. I don't think it would be a problem other than the distraction it would cause to other riders.

Titanium toe-sliders, on the other hand, are fine (as long as they are OEM, as they are on the Oxtar TCS Evo Ti :twisted: ) :lol:

Hoopty
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 12:42 PM
Mike also has very cool custom A&G sliders for a little extra! :rock:

yakuza
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 01:10 PM
Mike, I'm due for a set soon, so keep me in mind when you place that order. My last set I purchased from Mike towards the end of '03 (if I'm remembering correctly) and still have a bit of life in them.

The Black Knight
Tue May 3rd, 2005, 03:22 PM
hey Sparker,

I get my titanium knee sliders from CycleGear.com. They offer them in solid and studded sliders. The studded sliders have 6 titanium studs in them and wear fairly fast. I used them first to see how fast they would wear with the studs, they went quickly. These (Full)Titanium are basically a titanium shell over a regular plastic knee slider. So when the shell either wears off or comes off you have a plastic slider underneath as well. You can get them in tear drop style(ones I use) because they are fatter for longevity. Or oval pucks. Same with the studded sliders. Teardrop or Oval. Studded sliders come in different colors too.

Prices for the Teardrop and Oval Titanium's are $55.99 I think shipping is like $5.

For the Studded plastic, Ovals are $26.99 and the Teardrops are $29.99 same shipping.

I use Cyclegear because they are only distributor in the US that sells the sliders. Oh yeah they are listed under "MOTRAX".. When you do a search just type in Motrax and it will bring up everything by Motrax. The sliders are on page 2 I think.

www.cyclegear.com

is the site.. sliders are great, last a long time. Plus getting them from Cyclegear you don't have to pay the high cost of importing them from the UK which is the only other place I've been able to find them...

Ytry2
Wed May 4th, 2005, 04:25 PM
2 or 3 weekends????? what else are you doing on your knees? Man i have 1 full season plus some on a set of A&G that Mike sold me.
2 or 3 weekends......Jesh!

Hoopty
Wed May 4th, 2005, 04:36 PM
That's what happens when you actually race, and get your knee low enough to touch it down. ;) LOL

Ytry2
Wed May 4th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Racing? what is that? You know when racing in the snow a set should last a few year :lol:

sup hoopty.... how did you do?

Hoopty
Wed May 4th, 2005, 05:39 PM
:cry: Race 1 cancelled for inclement weather. :cry:

Anonymous
Wed May 4th, 2005, 05:46 PM
I sell the Asphalt & Gas leather knee pucks. I am placing an order for the PPIR weekend. Prices start at $40.00 let me know if anyone wants a set.
mike

*ahem*

;)

hcr25
Wed May 4th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Ha Ha. I know yours will be in this order aswell. I was hoping to give them to you at R2SL. mike

Ytry2
Thu May 5th, 2005, 08:38 AM
mike

*ahem*

;)
sup foolio

Ytry2
Thu May 5th, 2005, 08:40 AM
:cry: Race 1 cancelled for inclement weather. :cry:
Thats ight, SMRI expert endurance races were postponed due to a funnel cloud...
and then sunday highs were in the mid 70's ;) made for a good race day... for others