PDA

View Full Version : '01 zx6r dies over a bump

TMP
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I had this problem at the end of last season from what I can recall, after a rain storm, it has never gone away like I wished it would this spring. Bike starts fine, runs fine, but after a few minutes of riding if I hit a medium bump the bike dies. It looses spark. I tried pulling in the clutch and popping it and nothing. The only thing that works is turning the key off and back on while coasting.... and bam, bike is running again.
Good gas, new battery, plugs look decent.... any ideas?
I checked all the wiring under the gas tank and nothing loose. Unplugged and replugged connectors just in case.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Bueller
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Faulty tip over switch, I had an SV1000 that did that. I took it apart and filled it with silicone sealant to keep it from activating, not sure if it is possible with the Kawi.

TMP
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Where would I find this switch? I've messed around with the kickstand switch and I don't think that's it.

Bueller
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Didn't notice the year before, is it fuel injected?

Never mind it is carbed, so no TOS

brennahm
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Had a CBR F2 with this problem. New ignition switch fixed it.

TMP
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I just went out and compared the feel of the ignition switch with the wife's gsxr and my key has a fair amount of play when in the ignition. Suspect #1

Tacheny
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 11:03 AM
I realize you said you have a new batt, but did you make sure terminals are tight?