PDA

View Full Version : Rotor glazing - what causes it?

tecknojoe
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I have 20k on my R6, and 5 or 6 track days. It's starting to show some glazing in the rotors. It didn't start until recently. I want to know what causes it. Will a particular rotor resist glazing better? What are your opinions on having them scrubbed? and how do I know when it's getting to the point that I really should replace them if I'm going to continue riding track?

Bueller
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 07:59 PM
http://www.newmantools.com/flexhone/flexhone_for_rotors.jpg

brennahm
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 08:22 PM
We had a customer who recommended rubbing them on the sidewalk to deglaze them.

"Just make sure you use a flat part, you don't want to ruin them."

Bueller
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 08:24 PM
We had a customer who recommended rubbing them on the sidewalk to deglaze them.

"Just make sure you use a flat part, you don't want to ruin them."
:lol:
I have used 200 grit metal oxide sand paper

tecknojoe
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 08:33 PM
http://www.newmantools.com/flexhone/flexhone_for_rotors.jpg

nice. where to buy such a thing?

Bueller
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 08:35 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flexible-Finishing-Hone-Rotors-Brake-Lathe-1-piece-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19b9ef3badQQitemZ11049 3645741QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools#ht_500wt_9 56

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I rub the pads on the sidewalk when i hone the rotors

FZRguy
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 08:46 PM
nice. where to buy such a thing?

Sears has 'em.

Zach929rr
Tue Mar 15th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I hear a few MRA guys use the ultra secret method of figure 8's with the pads on the sidewalk/asphalt and brakleen on the rotor(s).

threadjack

does anyone down in Denver have a honer I can use?

/threadjack

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I have one of the stone things and I don't think they work very well. Sandblasting works the best.

dragos13
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Pads don't need to be rubbed on anything. You want them to seat with the current surface of the rotor. Hone your rotor with the tool shown above, throw the pads on and take it easy for a lap to get them seated well.

Rubbing them on concrete doesn't make any sense to me.

OUTLAWD
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 10:38 AM
if you have glazed the rotors, chances are the pads will have a glaze on them as well that should probably be removed to allow two fresh surfaces to bed in.

but after having quite a bit of brake issues a a couple years ago, I may get a bit anal

UglyDogRacing
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM
just don't use your brakes as much

jbnwc
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 10:43 AM
just don't use your brakes as much

all they do is slow you down...

UglyDogRacing
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM

exactly!

OUTLAWD
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 11:20 AM

that's what my problem is...;)

tecknojoe
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM
if you have glazed the rotors, chances are the pads will have a glaze on them as well that should probably be removed to allow two fresh surfaces to bed in.

but after having quite a bit of brake issues a a couple years ago, I may get a bit anal

I'm buying new pads now too. So I'm glad I saw this. I'll put them both on at the same time.

OUTLAWD
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I've also found it to be good practice to make sure ALL the previous pad material is off the rotors. I was using roll-lock scotch brite disks on a drill, and they weren't cutting it, where the hone works like a charm

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Mar 16th, 2011, 06:14 PM
While yes, a rotary hone like that WILL work, i'd be extremely hesitant to use one because of the very real dangeer of wearing spots in the disk. Scotchbrite or wet/dry sandpaper should be fine. You don't want to be removing metal.

tecknojoe
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 04:15 PM
By the way, what causes glazing? is it something I can avoid or is it just something that happens overtime after some track usage?

UglyDogRacing
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 05:04 PM
By the way, what causes glazing? is it something I can avoid or is it just something that happens overtime after some track usage?

Too much heat causes crystalized friction material on pad and rotor surfaces. Can be avoided if you bed your pads in correctly.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I'm buying new pads now too. So I'm glad I saw this. I'll put them both on at the same time.If ya wanna get all detailed about it....

Pad manufacturers say to never use a new pad on a new rotor. Rotor manufacturers say to never use new rotors with new pads....

tecknojoe
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 06:11 PM
If ya wanna get all detailed about it....

Pad manufacturers say to never use a new pad on a new rotor. Rotor manufacturers say to never use new rotors with new pads....

What about recently scrubbed rotors with new pads?

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 06:24 PM
What about recently scrubbed rotors with new pads?Don't know, I'm not the manufacturer. All I know is what I have read on the documentation that came with my rotors and my pads. I read every piece of paper that comes with anything that I buy. The shops around town will laugh at you if you state what you have read. Personally, I'm going to listen to the manufacturer every time! I think that says a lot about the people you chose to work on your.... whatever it may be... That's one of the biggest reasons I do all my own work!!!!

Define "scrubbed" and maybe I could take a guess...

tecknojoe
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 06:35 PM
The first few posts of this thread are about it. sanding them down to somehow remove the glazing.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 06:50 PM
The first few posts of this thread are about it. sanding them down to somehow remove the glazing.Well... the documentation didn't elaborate on cleaning used rotors. If you simply grind or sandblast the surface, I would say new pads are fine, but I would still run a few stops with the old pads just to make sure.

If you "turned" the used rotors and created a 'new' surface, then I would follow the manufacturers recommendations to a "T".

However, and this is why people tell me that I read too much, what about when your bike is new? It comes with new rotors and new pads??????????

I will admit, though, that a lot of the stuff I read from the manufacturers is sometimes contradicting. I can't help it, though, I'm an architect and details are my life!!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Mar 18th, 2011, 08:40 PM
It happens when some underhanded competitor rubs his donuts across your disks when you aren't looking...... :)

tecknojoe
Fri Mar 18th, 2011, 11:04 PM
fuck. I knew that guy would cheat to beat me in I group.