PDA

View Full Version : Front or rear suspension priority on 675?

675Rider
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Im going to get some suspension work done but may do it in phases. Which has more influence, the front or rear? Or what do you guys recommend? This is on a '06 675.

CaneZach
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Rear!

Graphite675
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Definiatly the Rear. I replaced my rear shock first and what a difference over the stock 675 suspension. I eventually did the front but the rear made the biggest difference.

OUTLAWD
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I would get both ends sprung for your weight...but IIRC, the factory springs shouldn't be too far off for you. So then I agree with the others, that a rear shock is the next step.
Are you having issues with the current suspension setup?

rybo
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 09:19 AM
If you do it right and spend your money wisely you can take care of both ends for reasonable money. Proper springs, clean oil and well tuned valving can all be done for a very reasonable price. You're approaching this from a good angle, more gains can be had from suspension tuning than from most other bike mods.

Call Dave at STM Suspension
970-222-9597
Please tell him I sent you.

He has multiple packages at reasonable prices that will get your bike set up for you. The motto at the shop is "solutions, not products". While a product can be a part of the solution if Dave resprings the bike for you, and then you go ride and it's not quite right, then he'll work with you to get the bike set for your needs. If that means swapping springs again then that's what he'll do.

One of the packages he has going right now -

Fork revalve / respring
Penske double sprung for your weight

99% of us don't need gas charged forks or even triple clicker shocks. The package above is basically what I have on my racebike and I can say with certainty that it works very well. This is also the same arrangement that former MRA #1 Aaron Clark used on his bike.

I highly recommend Dave and his service. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions you think I can answer.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Scott, is this the same IRDave on the CSC or a different guy?

rybo
Thu Mar 17th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Same guy!

675Rider
Fri Mar 18th, 2011, 12:55 AM
@Graphite675, Ive heard from several the 675 rear is junk. What rear did you get?

@Rybo, Im currently talking to Dave and he is giving me alot of good advice. I do plan on doing both ends but if I have to do it in phases, due to finances, I wanted to change the one I thought would have a grater effect. Dave is basically telling me the same thing you are. He said the rear should just totally be replaced for best results and re-spring and re-valve the front. I totally realize Im not nealy the fastest guy out there and will never be a pro racer but if I can get better suspension that will feel more stable and help me build confidence in grip and stability then its worth it to me. Im not trying to get the best of the best because I know thats not what I need right now, if ever. I do have aspirations of joining the MRA and racing for fun though.

My problem is this is still my first sportbike so Im still learning what everything should feel like when trying to push it. Im still feeliing out my comfort zones and how hard I can push the tires and such.

Thanks for everyones help!

Graphite675
Fri Mar 18th, 2011, 08:47 AM
@Graphite675, Ive heard from several the 675 rear is junk. What rear did you get?

I have a Elka on my 675. We did a group buy on them 2 years ago so I got a pretty good deal on it. Works great, a big improvement over the stock rear.

For the front I replaced the internals with a Matris fork cartridge and valving. Hard to get in the US any more though.

OUTLAWD
Fri Mar 18th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I just picked up a Nitron for my triumph, since ohlins and penske discontinued their models for my bike...its a real nice unit, available in double and triple clicker models. But if you could pick up something domestic/more common, it'd probably be the cheaper way to go.

I do have aspirations of joining the MRA and racing for fun though.

If you're not having fun...you're doing it wrong

Chilly
Fri Mar 18th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I can say listen to Dave, he did a set up for me and I was very happy.

675Rider
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 01:10 AM
@ Outlawd I meant that as I wouldnt be taking myself too seriously, just racing to have fun. Im sure thats what you meant too. Never even heard of Nitron, European company Im guessing.