PDA

View Full Version : Honda VFR1200r

SloBlue
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I rode up to Cheyenne/Maverick Cycles today and did a test ride on a VRF1200r. It is a program with Honda and they REQUIRE you to go AT LEAST 20 miles on your ride and then take a couple minutes to fill out a form with your impressions of the bike. Here are some of my thoughts.

It is very, very quiet. I hardly heard the engine on my ride.

It cuts through the air and channels it around the rider well. I think there was more air hitting my HJC helmet than usual, at least it seemed louder to me.

The transmission and shifting was INCREDIBLE. I wouldn't have believed a motorcycle tranny could be that smooth.

It really takes off at about 6000 7000 rpm's.

It is smaller in person than I expected it to be after seeing it in magazines. I didn't notice the weight, it handled well. The suspension was firm enough for my 190 lbs., which surprised me - usually, factory suspension is set for a 130 lbs. Japanese test rider, IMO.

Slight vibration at 4000 to 4500 rpm's, but otherwise, very smooth.

Lastly, it's 2011 and I still have to tuck in my elbows to see the road behind me in the mirrors.˜

Sarge
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I keep looking at these, seems like a nice, powerful ride.

I have a say though, taking note of the new trend in four cylinder exhausts all joining together in a single, fanned exhaust like this, that thing is EXTREMELY fugly, lol.

SloBlue
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 07:20 PM
That exhaust doesn't really bother me one way or the other. I'm just used to the race cans on my twin, I can hear if the motor is on. I literally had to look down at the tach a couple of times as I was coming to a stop light because I thought it had died.

dirkterrell
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I want to try the DCT version. The torque curve on that motor looks pretty good. I pieced this together from various plots in Sport Rider:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/vfr1200f_supersports_torque.png

Dirk

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 10:34 PM
was this a test ride as in considering a purchase or were you invited to participate in some marketing type program?

SloBlue
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I just happened to wander into Maverick Cycles on Thursday and they offered to let me take it for a ride as part of a Honda program. I had to go at least 20 miles and answer some questions about my impressions of the bike. The guys at Maverick were super nice and nobody ever even asked me about buying the bike. It is a bike I would consider buying, if I had an extra 15 or 20 grand laying around. But, alas, I don't, so, no new bike today. :no:

OUTLAWD
Sun Mar 20th, 2011, 01:30 AM
do they have a less ugly version?

Matt
Sun Mar 20th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Ugly is the new sexy.

BC14
Sun Mar 20th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Nope, ugly is still ugly.. That bike is way too pricey for what you get...which is basically nothing, compared to other sport touring rides.