PDA

View Full Version : Considering buying a commuter bike

Wrider
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 11:27 PM
So I found a darn decent deal on a GSF400.
Yes that's a Bandit 400. I'm thinking about buying it for a commuter bike.
Looking for those that have had it or have experience on it to let me know what they think of it.
Yes I realize it's no highly tuned high speed corner carving machine, but for a commuter it seems it'd be about perfect.
Input? Yay? Nay?

CaneZach
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 11:44 PM
What's it get? 50+ mpg? Insurance is probably around $1.17 a year and their engines are pretty bulletproof. As long as your picking one up cheap, I say go for it! Assuming you get the bike for $1500, the bike pays for itself in about a year and a half.

Spooph
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 11:44 PM
It's gutless down low (coming from a 250 rider, that's saying something), so if you don't mind keeping the revs up, not a problem one bit. Other than that, an absolute JOY to ride! I've heard they're quite reliable being air/oil cooled...

Wrider
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 11:48 PM
What's it get? 50+ mpg? Insurance is probably around $1.17 a year and their engines are pretty bulletproof. As long as your picking one up cheap, I say go for it! Assuming you get the bike for $1500, the bike pays for itself in about a year and a half.

Heh well I'm currently getting around 14.5 MPG in my truck so yeah it'd definitely pay for itself just on that.
However I'd be getting it for a bit cheaper, KBB retail is only 1300 haha.

EDIT: Also just downloaded the service manual. Believe it or not the thing is liquid cooled!

675Rider
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 11:54 PM
For a commuter Im sure it would be fine. Id say do the math and make sure its worth it in the long run.

Wrider
Sat Mar 19th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Heh it'd be the only ridable bike I've owned since 2007 (owned 2 since then). It'd be worth it even if it was just a pleasure machine! lol

CaneZach
Sun Mar 20th, 2011, 07:28 AM
What Spooph said is true. The power band is ridiculously high in the RPM range, like 11K or so. If I remember correctly, the 400 will redline around 14K (although I may have it confused with the GS500).

rybo
Sun Mar 20th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Great bike! The little 400s from that generation are a blast to own and ride.

We have a CB1 ( Honda 400 standard) from that same generation and it's a total kick in the pants to ride.

The bandit 400 is liquid cooled and I always thought the frame made them look like a mini ducati monster.

Buy it, ride it, enjoy it!

Spooph
Sun Mar 20th, 2011, 06:22 PM
oops, I got confused on that one... My bad.

Wrider
Sun Mar 20th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Not a problem.
Well went and bought it this afternoon!
Not running (probably electrical issue). Been sitting for a while. But has the title, turns over, and is ridable as soon as it gets running, what else can you ask for when you only pay $275?
Got it home and played with the electrical a bit. Does turn over, now just need to figure out what the main problem is and I should be on the way.