PDA

View Full Version : Fork Seal Replacement

Airreed
Mon Mar 21st, 2011, 10:30 AM
I've never replaced my fork seals, so what shops do a good job at it and are reasonnably prices?

I'm thinking TFOG, but I live in SE Aurora and they are in Golden.

Bueller
Mon Mar 21st, 2011, 02:23 PM
Faster is just off of I-70 on Brighton blvd now

MetaLord 9
Mon Mar 21st, 2011, 02:45 PM
Can you pull the forks off of you bike yourself or would you have to ride to the shop? If you pull 'em yourself you'll save money

Airreed
Mon Mar 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM
The entire bike is going in...

coaz4x4
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I need to get this done too... I always like to source out the parts myself tho...

Tacheny
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 11:00 AM
The techs over at Fay Myers know their sh!t and I've been told the guys at Vickery do as well. Get it in asap wherever you go, people are getting ready for the season and shops are getting much busier.

mdub
Wed Apr 27th, 2011, 01:56 PM
are their prices reasonable?

dragos13
Wed Apr 27th, 2011, 02:22 PM
The techs over at Fay Myers know their sh!t and I've been told the guys at Vickery do as well. Get it in asap wherever you go, people are getting ready for the season and shops are getting much busier.

+1 for Vickery

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Apr 27th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Another public service announcement by, DEAN!

It's really east to do it yourself. The seals are around $20. $40, if you want to replace the slide and all the other crap (which usually isn't necessary).

Sully
Wed Apr 27th, 2011, 02:44 PM
FYI -Vickery mainly services Yamaha and Kawi (which I don't think Airreed has either)

MetaLord 9
Wed Apr 27th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Another public service announcement by, DEAN!

It's really east to do it yourself. The seals are around $20. $40, if you want to replace the slide and all the other crap (which usually isn't necessary).
Think that's actually what I'm going to be doing tonight...

spdu4ia
Thu Apr 28th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Is there an online instruction for replacing fork seals yourself? do you need special tools?

Zach929rr
Thu Apr 28th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Is there an online instruction for replacing fork seals yourself? do you need special tools?

There are multiple tutorials on youtube. I have all of the tools "needed" and some convenience items as well.

jbnwc
Thu Apr 28th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Supertune has done at least 2 of my bikes. I don't remember the exact price, but it was pretty good. All the shops will be pretty busy now, so turnaround time might be longer than normal.

Bueller
Thu Apr 28th, 2011, 06:49 AM
FYI -Vickery mainly services Yamaha and Kawi (which I don't think Airreed has either)

Forks are forks, and I am sure they could make an exception and work on a Honda if they need to :)

rybo
Thu Apr 28th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Forks are forks, and I am sure they could make an exception and work on a Honda if they need to :)

No they aren't. My Ducati Forks require at least 4 special tools, premium seals and very special olive derived oil.

Of course I'm kidding.

Almost all of the forks on production bikes are made by three companies:

Showa
KYB
Ohlins

They all use very similar designs and follow a simple procedure for replacing seals. ANY worthwhile shop can repair fork seals on almost any bike.

If you're up in the Fort Collins area I highly recommend STM suspension and Dave Rose. He is a suspension only guy who goes the extra distance for his customers.

S

TFOGGuys
Thu Apr 28th, 2011, 09:04 AM
No they aren't. My Ducati Forks require at least 4 special tools, premium seals and very special olive derived oil.

Of course I'm kidding.

Almost all of the forks on production bikes are made by three companies:

Showa
KYB
Ohlins

They all use very similar designs and follow a simple procedure for replacing seals. ANY worthwhile shop can repair fork seals on almost any bike.

If you're up in the Fort Collins area I highly recommend STM suspension and Dave Rose. He is a suspension only guy who goes the extra distance for his customers.

S

Marzocchi? WP?

J/K Scott :)

In actuality, seals are not a difficult job, but having the right tools makes all the difference (Seal drivers, pin spanners, long allen sockets, spring compressors, etc.). I recently had a customer that "worked on his own bikes back in the 80s" irreparably damage the fork tubes on his F650 because he didn't have a seal driver, and tried to drive the seals with a small punch, like he used to back in the day. When the new seals started leaking almost immediately, he brought it to me, and almost $600 later his forks are back to original condition (Fork tubes were 208 EACH).

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Apr 28th, 2011, 09:13 AM
... I recently had a customer that "worked on his own bikes back in the 80s" irreparably damage the fork tubes on his F650 because he didn't have a seal driver, and tried to drive the seals with a small punch, like he used to back in the day. When the new seals started leaking almost immediately, he brought it to me, and almost $600 later his forks are back to original condition (Fork tubes were 208 EACH).Someone should start a thread about all the crazy stuff do-it-yourself mechanics do. Like putting ATF in your radiator because you don't have any anti-freeze at the house, or anti-freeze in your windshield washer reservoir. Boy, was he surprised when he hit his washer button!! Another good one is jumping on your lug wrench because wheel lugs should be real tight. Later that night, my buddy tapped a curb and snapped his wheel off. I saw someone on a race day try to use duct tape to fix a cracked and leaking front brake line on their race bike. Glad I was standing there and told them, "NOOOOOOOOO!!"

Revan
Thu Apr 28th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I just picked my forks up from Tfog! 66 plus parts. Total cost to me was 109. Got it done in two days. Id recommend them all the way