PDA

View Full Version : Renewing Endorsments

Fenrir
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
I have a question. I completed the basic ABATE training back in 2001 and got a "M" endorsment on my license. It's getting to be that time where I am going to have to renew my license (later this year). Does anyone know if the endorsment carries over to the new license, or will i need to take the couse over again, pay a fee, present documentation etc? :?
Thanks

Mother Goose
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 03:47 PM
It carries over. Just pay the extra fees and you're good.

Fenrir
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks!

BushyAR15
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 06:37 PM
Make a special point to ensure they see the "M" and that you want that renewed too... Just cover your base and don't assume they see it.

DemonRider
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 06:42 PM
Make a special point to ensure they see the "M" and that you want that renewed too... Just cover your base and don't assume they see it.

Agreed, that happened to me back when I moved from Colorado to California, I had to do it all over again when I moved back here (I didn't bother with it while in California) but taking a refresher course can't hurt any!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 09:25 PM
Agreed, that happened to me back when I moved from Colorado to California, I had to do it all over again when I moved back here (I didn't bother with it while in California) but taking a refresher course can't hurt any!
Similar thing happened to me in OH when I moved from CA. When I first moved there, I left my bike in CA since I thought I'd be back within a year, so I didn't bother to get the "M" endorsement. Well, almost 4 years later when I went and got my bike, I then went to the DMV in OH to simply get my "M". they said that since I didn't just transfer it over, I had to take all the tests. Fine, but, they treated it like I was a first-time motorcyclist and I had to deal with a fuckin' LEARNER'S permit. Meant I wasn't supposed to ride with a passenger, or after dark, or on the freeway. I showed 'em my old license but it didn't matter, I couldn't do anything about it. So, I did it all anyways. Fuck 'em. Moral of the story, get it immediately when you transfer and check fr the "M" as mentioned. They shouldn't make you take any tests.

Think
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
Similar thing happened to me in OH when I moved from CA. When I first moved there, I left my bike in CA since I thought I'd be back within a year, so I didn't bother to get the "M" endorsement. Well, almost 4 years later when I went and got my bike, I then went to the DMV in OH to simply get my "M". they said that since I didn't just transfer it over, I had to take all the tests. Fine, but, they treated it like I was a first-time motorcyclist and I had to deal with a fuckin' LEARNER'S permit. Meant I wasn't supposed to ride with a passenger, or after dark, or on the freeway. I showed 'em my old license but it didn't matter, I couldn't do anything about it. So, I did it all anyways. Fuck 'em. Moral of the story, get it immediately when you transfer and check fr the "M" as mentioned. They shouldn't make you take any tests.
At least they let you ride by yourself with a learner's permit. In MD, you can't ride alone with a permit. Someone else on another bike has to ride with you at all times and they have to have at least 3 years of riding experience and be 21 or over.

TwistyRydr
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 09:55 PM
Just because I'm paranoid, I would bring documentation/certification with just in case.

birchyboy
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 07:41 AM
On a related noted, has anyone been able to register their bike (or car) online this week? I keep getting a "Site under maintenance" page.

www.colorado.gov/renewplates

MetaLord 9
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 07:42 AM
^^Yes. :rage:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 10:28 AM
At least they let you ride by yourself with a learner's permit. In MD, you can't ride alone with a permit. Someone else on another bike has to ride with you at all times and they have to have at least 3 years of riding experience and be 21 or over.
Yeah. I could have gotten it straightened out, but it would have wasted too much of my time to go thru all the beuracratic red tape. I figured if I got pulled over, if I couldn't explain my way out of it, that I'd deal with it then in court. Luckily it was just for a year of that bullshit. Pissed me off no end though.