PDA

View Full Version : Going orange!

Sean
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 06:42 PM
What happens when a bike like this,
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/mr7string/IMG_0312.jpg

Has a bastardized love-child, with this?
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/mr7string/38343_419658887725_580017725_4624195_3947762_n.jpg

The result...is this. A KTM 950 Adventure.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/mr7string/IMG_0567.jpg

That's right, I'm now a full-time ADV'er. Just picked it up and rode home from Phoenix, AZ. Man, it was pretty chilly. I don't advise doing a multi-state trip during March unless you are going to stay VERY south. Here's proof of how cold it was! Good ride, a little windy today, but not to bad.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/mr7string/IMG_0560.jpg

salsashark
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 06:48 PM
:up: nice...

LordLosh
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 07:11 PM
nice bike man congratz

Swift
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 07:16 PM
Sounds like a blast of a ride. lol

Bashed
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
Um, you know the bike is black, right?

Congrats, we will have to go do some high speed dirt road testing once I finish my DS build. Not quite the pedigree of the 950/990, but I think it will be great. I should be finished enough to ride it in a month or so.

drago52
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 08:11 PM
holy balls thats a sweet bike

Sean
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 08:30 PM
Um, you know the bike is black, right?
It's orange on the inside. :eyebrows:

Just let me know when, Bash. I'm starting to switch forums a little. Gonna try and get on some ADV rides.

Vellos
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 08:42 PM
It has the genetics of the Kawasaki, but the skin tone of the Honda. :)

OUTLAWD
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 08:45 PM
nice...I approve
:up:

Sean
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 06:43 AM
...the skin tone of the Honda. :)True, but more importantly, an engine closer to the Honda than the KLR. The 38hp KLR was killing me on the interstate! :scream2:

MetaLord 9
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Congrats mang!

rybo
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I fear this "dirt thing" is all my fault Sean. If I hadn't loaned you that dirt gear a few years back you'd still be a loyal Chicane customer. I fail myself by being nice once again...FRACK!

In all seriousness, that is a really really cool bike. I had an Adventure 640 for a short time and rode the 990 a couple of times. The 640 is a desert MACHINE that wasn't any good on the street. I don't find the 38 HP of my DR to be much of a limiting factor, the thing will easily go 100. That being said if you wanted to trade it for that KTM of yours I wouldn't say no...very cool, congrats!

Aracheon
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Moar peekchors, plz.

Sean
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I fear this "dirt thing" is all my fault Sean. If I hadn't loaned you that dirt gear a few years back you'd still be a loyal Chicane customer. I fail myself by being nice once again...FRACK!Scott, I blame you for most my current motorcycle addictions. Here are a few phrases that have altered my life:

"You've never ridden the track? Why don't you come out to Miller with us? Just try it."
"Sure, I have some dirt gear you can borrow."
"Let's eat some pizza and watch MotoGP/Faster."
"Yeah, I can deliver that track bike for you."

If you weren't such a nice guy, I'd think you were the devil. :lol:

In all seriousness, that is a really really cool bike. I had an Adventure 640 for a short time and rode the 990 a couple of times. The 640 is a desert MACHINE that wasn't any good on the street. I don't find the 38 HP of my DR to be much of a limiting factor, the thing will easily go 100. That being said if you wanted to trade it for that KTM of yours I wouldn't say no...very cool, congrats!The KLR had a few more pounds on it than the DR. And it was only on the interstate that I didn't really care for it. So If I'm only going to have one bike, I needed a little power. :twisted:

OUTLAWD
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I needed a little power. :twisted:

throttle jockey :roll:

Sean
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 09:00 AM
throttle jockey :roll:
:lol: That's how I roll.

Dave, it's ready to go on some touring. We'll have to make sure we set something up again this year. :up:

salsashark
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I still have a few protective bits that I want to put on the Duc, but once that's done, I'd love to do some light ADV riding.

rybo
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 09:24 AM
My new KTM

I have these for sale for your little one too....PM me if you want more info!

OUTLAWD
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Dave, it's ready to go on some touring. We'll have to make sure we set something up again this year. :up:

as long as we limit off roading to a few miles at a time...I want to brace my saddle bags better before I take it off any sweet jumps, and take-offs aren't quite as good as knobbies

Sean
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I still have a few protective bits that I want to put on the Duc, but once that's done, I'd love to do some light ADV riding.:up:

My new KTMI think we are all going to need to see some video action of you, on your new KTM. :hump:

as long as we limit off roading to a few miles at a time...I want to brace my saddle bags better before I take it off any sweet jumps, and take-offs aren't quite as good as knobbiesMan, you're already busting out the excuses! "A few miles at a time" is so subjective...:viking:

ghostrider_9
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I fear this "dirt thing" is all my fault Sean. If I hadn't loaned you that dirt gear a few years back you'd still be a loyal Chicane customer. I fail myself by being nice once again...FRACK!

In all seriousness, that is a really really cool bike. I had an Adventure 640 for a short time and rode the 990 a couple of times. The 640 is a desert MACHINE that wasn't any good on the street. I don't find the 38 HP of my DR to be much of a limiting factor, the thing will easily go 100. That being said if you wanted to trade it for that KTM of yours I wouldn't say no...very cool, congrats!

I thought you were going to say that it started when he over ran turn 1 at HPR and had fun doing it . . .

Sean
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I thought you were going to say that it started when he over ran turn 1 at HPR and had fun doing it . . .
Marc, I didn't over run t.1, the bike did. I was still in the corner and it kept going....at least till the mud stopped it. :batman:

Can I blame Rybo for that? If so, that would be awesome!

ghostrider_9
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Marc, I didn't over run t.1, the bike did. I was still in the corner and it kept going....at least till the mud stopped it. :batman:

Can I blame Rybo for that? If so, that would be awesome!

I don't think you can blame Rybo for that. In fact, he even discourages this sort of activity. There is some rule that addresses this . . . I just can't seem to remember which ONE it is . . .

Sean
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 01:04 PM
There is some rule that addresses this . . . I just can't seem to remember which ONE it is . . .I have no idea what you're talking about? :dunno:

dirkterrell
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I like it. Good choice, Sean.

Dirk

Ricky
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Nice! Congrats!

asp_125
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Nice, my 6-fiddy would have a hard time keeping up. It struggles above 90mph

Sean
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I like it. Good choice, Sean.

DirkIt's perfect for Pennsylvania Gulch. Let's go! :up:

dirkterrell
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 04:36 PM
It's perfect for Pennsylvania Gulch. Let's go! :up:

Maybe later in the year when I'm in better shape. :)

Sean
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Nice, my 6-fiddy would have a hard time keeping up. It struggles above 90mphThat's what drove me nuts about the KLR. I got it up to 94mph once, downhill, with a tail wind. But that's why you have two (or more) bikes. This was the best alternative I could find for only one bike.

TransNone13
Fri Mar 25th, 2011, 01:02 AM
My new KTM

I have these for sale for your little one too....PM me if you want more info!

How far does the seat extend? Been considering one for the pits :P.

64BonnieLass
Fri Mar 25th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Congratulations on the new ride Sean. Also, glad you made it back safe in the weather. Good for you. Looks like you will have some fun this summer.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Mar 25th, 2011, 08:58 AM
more pics...did you put a ride report together for ADVrider?

Love this BIKE!!!! :drool:

rybo
Fri Mar 25th, 2011, 09:01 AM
How far does the seat extend? Been considering one for the pits :P.

Kyle,

Way not big enough for normal sized people. Not a good pit bike option.

It's got 12" wheels, so it's really pretty small

Sean
Fri Mar 25th, 2011, 09:19 AM
more pics...did you put a ride report together for ADVrider?

Love this BIKE!!!! :drool:No, no ride report. I just sat on the bike a lot and rode it back. There was very little "adventure" in my return home. Hopefully I'm going to go out this weekend (if the weather holds) and take a few more pics. It doesn't feel right having pics of a 950 in a garage or on pavement!