PDA

View Full Version : welders????

derekm
Wed Mar 23rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Looking for a good welder to do some misc fabbing on my car. Will not exceed 1/4" MAX thick metal. A former co-worker has offered up his Lincoln Elec 5000 hd, auto tinting mask, tank/reg & gloves for $600. Is this a good deal? Also this is the same exact welder I used to use at work and learned on this system and can say I LOVE it, just trying to see if the price is reasonable??? Thanks!:cheers:

dallas
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I guess I would look at it like a bike purchase. The welder itself is not a current model, but replacement parts are still available and consumable parts are standardized, so no worries there. In it's time, the welder sold for $600-700, a tank goes for about $100 and depending on the mask it could be anywhere from $50-500+. If the welder is in decent condition and the mask is good, I would say it is a solid $500 deal, but I would have to see all the equipment to give a more accurate price.

Cap'n Crunch
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Seems a little expensive to me too. As far a I can tell, they haven't made that model in a while, so the welder must be at least 5 or 6 yrs old. You should be able to get a new comparable model for one hundred more more and if you check the lincoln website, they are offering a free auto darkening helmet with the purchase of some of their welders. On top of that, you'll get a warranty with the new welder. But, I'm not a professional - just a hobbist, so take my advise for what it's worth.

Rooster
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 09:18 PM
im with dallas. its a little steep in my opinion. the mask is the least of my worries. i would be worried about the gun and cable itself. that stuff new can get expensive. ive seen welder go years without needing replacement parts. just gotta ask if he took care of it and check for dirt and dust on the inside. that would be my first place to check. a dirty welder on the inside that is obvious it wasnt cleaned often means it was just kicked around.

Zach929rr
Thu Mar 24th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Ask Dallas for a quote to weld it?

highpsi03
Sat Mar 26th, 2011, 10:33 PM
My lincoln 110 mig has welded everything i've thrown at it in the garage for the car.

Dietrich_R1
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Do the welders come w/ tanks & regulators when purchased, or are they additional.

If they are additional, I would think that could easily add a few extra hundred to it????