PDA

View Full Version : Bike misfires in rainy weather..

Mr. Turbo
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 12:03 AM
I've had this problem after or during the rain this week (i.e bike gets rained on). It seems to misfire at idle and only catch on all cylinders at higher rpm's. The fairing on my bike is old-school, so it doesn't cover the plug-wires 100%. Is there anything I can put on the wires to keep them from grounding when they get wet?

Lel
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 07:46 AM
I am taking a shot in the dark here... but might not be the plug wires. Does it happen ONLY when it gets rained on or also when it gets cold out?

What I am thinking is there is condensation is building up within the tank and mixing with the gas, so you are not getting a good mix of gas into the engine, but is fine when you rev higher because its getting more fuel into the engine. It could also be building up condensation on the inside of the carbs and mixing there; or even just leaking in at some point if it happens only when it rains. It doesnt sound like a grounding out issue really.

Does it happen only after you start it until it warms up? Or does it happen all the time while riding and come to a stop light?

Jason

Mr. Turbo
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 09:41 AM
Doesn't happen when its not rainy/damp. Cold and dry are never a problem. I ride all winter, so i don't think it has to do with the cold. It seems to happen intermittently at idle. The bike seems to run on 3 cylinders at a light unless i keep the revs up to about 2.5k. It will also "hiccup" under light throttle. I may pull the carbs next sunny weekend i get, to see if anything is going on in there.

BenDover
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 10:35 AM
I'd say to try these things and then check back...
1) Clean and synch the carbs.
2) Change the plugs and wires.