PDA

View Full Version : Hitch Mounted Carrier

jrhurt
Sat Mar 26th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Does anyone have any personal experience using a carrier that mounts into your trailer hitch. I have found so many conflicting reviews on other sites, figured I would see if anyone here has actually used one.

I would be using it on full size silverado with a class 3 hitch. From what I read, it seems like it would work pretty well, but I am a bit nervous about the bike bouncing around back there. I am the type that is nervous and watches the bike the entire time, even in the bed of the truck. Anyone have any strong opinions about them?

The truck currently has a shell on it. If one of these carriers works well, I wouldn't mind keeping it on.

Thanks.

longrider
Sat Mar 26th, 2011, 09:01 PM
For a dirt bike (250 -300 lbs) I have no problem with the hitch mounted carriers. While your truck would have no problem with the weight load, carrying a street bike on one really makes me nervous.

DriverDave
Sun Mar 27th, 2011, 08:29 AM
http://www.bosstruckaccessories.com/motorcyclecarrier.html

I have this one for my dirt bike. As hitch mount carriers go, this is by far the best one out there (most expensive too). But I agree with longrider, I can't imagine using it with a street bike.

Kim-n-Dean
Sun Mar 27th, 2011, 09:40 AM
A friend of ours brought his R6 from Florida on one of those hitch mounts and had zero problems. We've also used it to carry Kim's R6. Works great if you tie it down correctly.

jrhurt - Is your first name Jamie?

jrhurt
Sun Mar 27th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. Glad nobody has had any awful experiences with them. I would only be using it for a dirt bike, so I should be good.

No, my name is Joe.

DW
Sun Mar 27th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I have a truck with a topper and when not in the mood to haul the trailer, I'll use my hitch carrier. Works great. Takes a little more work than pushing it up on a trailer, but i like it. Got mine a few years ago at discountramps.com (the AMC-400) and it's been great. Comes with a stabalizer plate so you don't have the up and down bouncing.

One thing I use that gives me piece of mind when using this set up is i only use tie down straps that have the caribiner style hooks as opposed to the traditional open hooks. This way, never have to worry about a massive bump unexpectedly or anything like that. I also added a backup safety strap that i hook to the carrier's hook on one end and the bike's frame on the other.

Long story short, wouldn't think twice about going anywhere with my dirt bike on the back of this carrier. Just hook it up right and hook the bike up right and you'll be good to go.

Xtremjeepn
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I found a deal on a KLR650 that I could not pass up a few hundred miles from home. I ran down to Harbor Freight and picked up their hitch carrier for $130. Ironically, the picture of the unit on the HF box has a KLR650 on it.:pointlaugh:

I have used it a couple of times now and have had no issues with it actually carrying the bike. Holds it very secure.

The one thing I HATE about this type of set up is that on most trucks/SUV the bike is as wide as the truck. So the bike blocks your brake and turn lights. Mounting a set to the bike carrier itself would be helpfull. (just plug into trailer hitch lights).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4133/4988362222_aa906d9c9e_z.jpg

DriverDave
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Xtremjeepn,

The boss carrier I posted above has lights. Also has a locking device to keep it from wobbling in your hitch. It's the Porsche of hitch mounted motorcycle carriers, so it's also quite expensive compared to what you have......on your Porsche!

Xtremjeepn
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I would agree that there are better carriers out there. My HF one was purchased to solve a problem and the only one available at the spur of the momemt.

Ricky
Thu Mar 31st, 2011, 11:09 AM
That's pretty awesome for $130!

Devaclis
Thu Mar 31st, 2011, 11:36 AM
We helped a KL650 owner remove his bike from a tankgled hitch carrier after the Elephant Ride this year. Tore the hell out of his vehicle and I am pretty sure all 4 guys trying to untangle the bike ended up bleeding.

Add to that the fact that the carrier was wobbling all over the place as he was driving down the road loaded with the bike, I am not likely to try one unless I am in a bind.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Mar 31st, 2011, 12:01 PM
Nothing is 100% if you don't use it properly.

I've seen bikes fall out of the back of pickups because people don't tie them down properly. Trailers, too.

Xtremjeepn
Thu Mar 31st, 2011, 01:58 PM
We helped a KL650 owner remove his bike from a tankgled hitch carrier after the Elephant Ride this year. Tore the hell out of his vehicle and I am pretty sure all 4 guys trying to untangle the bike ended up bleeding..

Hmmm....I've put my KLR on and off my hitch carrier by myself everytime with no issue. If I thought there was ANY risk of scratching the Porshe with the KLR it would never go on the carrier.

Nothing is 100% if you don't use it properly.

I've seen bikes fall out of the back of pickups because people don't tie them down properly. Trailers, too.

X2

Devaclis
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM
^^^ The dude who owned it was a FOOL. I don't blame the carrier for the issues but it showed me what can happen.

jrhurt
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I think I am going to go ahead and pick one up. Probably not quite as nice as the boss, but I will probably get a pretty decent one. Most of the ones I have seen people recommend, have some sort of anti sway system on them. I am not sure how they work, but I definately want one. I will probably be pulling over ever half mile the first couple of times I use it, but that is just my nature. I did the same thing the first couple of time I tied it in the bed of the truck.