PDA

View Full Version : Need Kickstand Lowered

bornwildnfree
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Anyone know anyone here in Denver area who can lower my kickstand for me? It's steel so they just need to be good at welding.

asp_125
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Or you could get an adjustable kickstand. PunyJuney has one on her lowered Honda.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/5/89/24955/23610/PITEM/Myrtle-West-Adjustable-Kickstand-2008-Yamaha-YZF-R6S-Parts.aspx

bornwildnfree
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I thought about that, but $125 is steep for a kickstand.

Devaclis
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 10:17 AM
How much do you need taken off?

bornwildnfree
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Maybe an inch.

Mother Goose
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 10:24 AM
It's an inch, but it's a mean inch!

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM
apparently he only needs an inch to tip her over the top

bornwildnfree
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 10:47 AM
apparently he only needs an inch to tip her over the top

:pointlaugh:

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 11:01 AM
If it were mine, I might consider using a sleeve. Cut the stand, remove the required amount, install a sleeve over the seam. Then weld the sleeve in place. This way the weight and stress of holding up the bike is held by the sleeve and not by the weld.

Mostly because I'm not the best welder in the world.

OUTLAWD
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 11:10 AM
if you just cut the pad off, then shorten the tube and re-weld the pad, you should be able to make it look factory...

I'd offer to do it, but I'm not close and I'm kinda swamped lately...I haven't even touched my own bikes in a while

longrider
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Outlawd described the way to do it, that way there are no weak spots. I can do it as long as you can give me a couple days, I don't always get home at a reasonable time

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 11:32 AM
ok, that probably makes more sense.

moving along, nothing to see here.....

Devaclis
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Heat up the mounting bracket and bend the kickstand at that point. You only need to bend it a short amount to get the lean angle you need. It is a tried and proven method.

matt2778
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I have an adjustable kickstand I'll sell you

OUTLAWD
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Heat up the mounting bracket and bend the kickstand at that point. You only need to bend it a short amount to get the lean angle you need. It is a tried and proven method.

even better...

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 12:37 PM
some like a bent prop rod

Spooph
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 04:15 PM
LOL, You said Prop ROD!

FZRguy
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I need a LONGER stand for my FZR now. Shortened the dogbones 1/2" for an inch + of rear ride height. It's like the Leaning Tower of Pisa on the stand now. May just leave it like that, or get it lengthened when I'm done playing with diff rear shocks.

FZRguy
Mon Mar 28th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Jim at Racers Edge in Lakewood shortened the kickstand on my DRZ. He does excellent work.....on everything. Prob around $40, number is 303-986-2107.

Sean
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I will have a shortened kickstand coming off of an 08 Kawi Versys. We can see if it would fit on? I just have to figure out how to get the stripped screw out first.

PunyJuney
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Or you could get an adjustable kickstand. PunyJuney has one on her lowered Honda.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/5/89/24955/23610/PITEM/Myrtle-West-Adjustable-Kickstand-2008-Yamaha-YZF-R6S-Parts.aspx

Kill switch doesn't work with this kick stand. You really wouldn't think that it is really a problem, but I was so used to turning my bike off with the kickstand ...anyway laziness aside, I have ridden off down the road with my kickstand down. I don't lean much so it hasn't killed me yet, but I'm sure it could be a problem if my friends were less vigilant with the honking, waving and pointing.

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Kill switch doesn't work with this kick stand. You really wouldn't think that it is really a problem, but I was so used to turning my bike off with the kickstand ...anyway laziness aside, I have ridden off down the road with my kickstand down. I don't lean much so it hasn't killed me yet, but I'm sure it could be a problem if my friends were less vigilant with the honking, waving and pointing.

That's crazytalk. I have seen you ride off first hand. I had no idea you were a serial KSD rider :pointlaugh:

I'll be sure to pay close attention this season.

MetaLord 9
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 10:50 AM
The older bikes didn't have kickstand sensors either, just adjust your routine & make sure that you check for the kickstand EVERY time without fail.

I'd be leery of cutting & welding a kickstand, but that's just me. We ground off a couple of centimeters on mine. It wasn't a huge difference, but it made me feel better about the bike not sitting up almost completely straight.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Somehow I don't think she'd be satisfied with just an inch......just sayin'...... :)

Cut and weld, simple, easy, cheap. Make sure you cut off only the bottom and weld there, instead of the top. The only thing you should be cutting is the tube right at the pad on the bottom, so no need to really worry about it being a structural issue. Any decent welder should be able to do it for you.